What airflow to expect from extractor filter & fan combo?

I've learned

Spend a few more bucks and get good stuff

My black oops filter has been great for 2 yrs.

Can't remember the smaller one , but big name brand also

I've learned
I'm on it too :thumb:

This was supposed to be the "TOP QUALITY" 4" extraction kit from a big European grow shop... In a way this experience is good, because I've now gotten new awareness and learnt a few things from my fellow 420'ers as well as from a little experimentation - and there's more to learn about it yet (probably forever...).

I go the opposite way. Every filter lists the same carbon specs so I just buy cheap filters and treat them as cheap filters. I also buy the largest bodied filter I can find. I use 8x24 vs 8x16 the larger filter bed extends the lifespan. Too big of a filter throat though and you won't utilize all the carbon. Ex 8in filter on 6in fan is ok but not on a 4in fan.

Mine are a little over 15months old constantly running in flower tents and still functioning fine. They cost about 1/3 the name brand units. I anticipated replacing them after a year so it's basically bonus time at this point. I'm just curious to see how long they'll actually last for.

You seem to have got a lot of advice here Cosmos but if you do need on hands help with this you know I'm in. I can build you a unique Nasa JPL extractor fan setup!

I had lots of problems with under performing fans and filters before I got it right and I think almost all of us have had issues with this. My advice is to get an over powered fan and big ass filter, then cut down on the speed to get it right. But I also know the restrains economy will have on these builds so buy one part every month.

The humidifier also cuts down the efficiency but it shouldn't clog the filter up like that, I think your fan is under powered. Does the fan sit direct on the filter or do you have a hose between?

As Nickerluring said: “I've got the filter mounted in the tent, but disconnected from the fan. I only connect the filter when I know I'll get visitors that I want to hide the smell from.“

I do the same for small garden inside an owned structure. No one goes near the garden. No roomies or family and few visitors generally. Works.

My advice is to get an over powered fan and big ass filter, then cut down on the speed to get it right.
This will likely happen in the future, when I diverisfy into photos - adding a 2x2 tent which will inherit this extractor and a new 6" extractor for the existing 2x4). I'm afraid your JPL extractor would have everything vent out of the chimney here at supersonic speeds, including furniture, plants, cats, the works... :p

The humidifier also cuts down the efficiency but it shouldn't clog the filter up like that, I think your fan is under powered. Does the fan sit direct on the filter or do you have a hose between?
That humidifier is absolutely needed to get the RH up to a little above 40%. There's 10cm of straight alu flex duct there just to get the filter an fan connected, then 1m of exhaust duct.

I'm doing another round of unclogging work (shake, blast, bake) - that filter doesn't get away that easily!

his will likely happen in the future, when I diverisfy into photos - adding a 2x2 tent which will inherit this extractor and a new 6" extractor for the existing 2x4).

Good plan, I like that expansion idea! :)

I'm afraid your JPL extractor would have everything vent out of the chimney here at supersonic speeds, including furniture, plants, cats, the works... :p

Lots of ductape, glue and a nailgun problem solved! :laughtwo:

That humidifier is absolutely needed to get the RH up to a little above 40%. There's 10cm of straight alu flex duct there just to get the filter an fan connected, then 1m of exhaust duct.

That's a big problem here as well I averaging 26% in RH...

I'm doing another round of unclogging work (shake, blast, bake) - that filter doesn't get away that easily!

Hope you get it working bro! :thumb:

Okey-dokey! The filter is now working :D

The procedure was:
- shake and bash
- blast inside and outside with compressed air
- bake in oven at 140°C (284°F) for 30 minutes
- one more round of air blasting

I estimate the flow to be 50% or more of the fan capacity, and my hair is now literally flapping in the wind. The temp is currently at 24.7°C which is where I want it.

So that's it - a clogged filter can be resurrected! Mine has only been in use for less than 4 months, so I'm happy that it wasn't a write-off.

During my research I've even read several places now that people have successfully washed them too, for a new lease of life (a few months). Some used H2O2 others used soapy water, then it's rinsed, dried/baked and put back into service.

Back
Top Bottom