What am I doing wrong?

sillyputty

Here's a run down of my system: Baby bloomer hydro system (ebb & flow), now in 12/12 budding stage; seeds from Nirvana. Three feedings (1 hr. each) during light cycle, one 1/2 hr. feeding during dark (to keep roots from drying).

Nutes: General hydroponics Maxigrow (10-5-14) during veg stage (16 on/8 off). GH Maxibloom (5-15-14) during budding. Change reservoir every 2 wks.

Temp: 75F - 80F with some 90F.
PH: 5.5 - 6.3
400W halide (new bulb)
TDS: approx. 700

As you can see, plants are spindly. What gets me is I used to grow great harvests (several ozs) with this exact setup years ago. Had to put it in storage and am trying again. Don't remember what nutes I used, but they were nothing fancy.

Thinking it could be my seeds, I ordered two strains from Nirvana (kush and bubblelicous), but got the same poor results with each.

Can't figure out what's going on...:helpsmilie:

I'm no expert...there are posts here on this site, about how to tie the plants down, LST (Low Stress Training)...it allows the light to penatrate...my first grows looked very much like yours'....also, what size pots?

Good luck...

I'm no expert...there are posts here on this site, about how to tie the plants down, LST (Low Stress Training)...it allows the light to penatrate...my first grows looked very much like yours'....also, what size pots?

I've tied them down before, but the bud produced was significantly more. Pots are standard 5 1/4" x 5 1/4" x 5 1/4".

How old is that bulb? You mentioned you had it stashed away for some time. Most people only like to run a bulb 2-4 runs.

Hey there Sillyputty -

First, welcome back to growing! :thumb:

A few things... They don't need to be fed for such extended periods. I run ebb style bucket systems and never flood more than 15 minutes. You really just need to flood long enough to fully submerge your roots. Too long and they could suffer oxygen deprivation (drowning the roots).

I do not water/feed at night, and it shouldn't be necessary except possibly in really dry conditions (even then I doubt it's necessary). Plants don't take nutrients in at night, so the worry might be salt build-up from night feeding - probably not a big deal though, as I used to feed at night similarly until I experimented to find it unnecessary for me. Don't think that's your issue with tall and spindly though.

Tall and spindly is about light availability and penetration typically. In addition to light overhead, is plant(s) surrounded by reflective material or a white finish? Good reflectivity around the plant will promote lateral branching. Also, make sure the bulb is close enough or appropriately positioned in relation to it's reflectivity. The closer and more intense the light, the more compact the plant. Air cooled reflectors allow for closer light placement as well.

You can also add some CFL bulbs around the sides fore more dide lighting on the cheap.

Finally, i like to top above the 2nd or 3rd true node once the plant has at least 7-8 nodes (on the main grow tip). If done correctly, you'll get 4 or 8 new main tops instead of one, because the lateral branches take up the cause. I find it easier to bend/train when working with multiple tops in this manner. Once the top is removed, the laterals start doing all the work. It's a pretty good technique indoors.

Otherwise, sounds like a good set-up. Genetics could be playing a role too, but I've found Nirvanas stuff to be really decent. I really don't think genetics are the issue honestly.

Hope that helps... Let me know if I can ever help out in any other way, k? :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom