What am I doing wrong?

BedrockBudz

420 Member
Hey all. New grower here. I'm working on my second grow currently. Both grows done under ViparSpectra 300W LED lights.

My first one was a learning experience. Grew Amensia Auto and Green Crack auto. Got about 7 grams from the two combined. I figure this was due to using regular outdoor soil, and allowing them to become rootbound in wayyyy too small of pots.

Fast forward to second grow. Amnesia Auto, White Widow CBD Auto, and Green Crack Auto. Learned from prior mistakes, and invested in Fox Farm Ocean Forest, and 5 gallon fabric pots. I'm about 6 weeks in, budding has already started, and none of them are above a foot!!! The Dinafem site says the Widow should average between 60cm (2ft) and 150cm (5ft). I ran them 18/6 for the first 4 weeks, now on 12/12. Have been maintaining between 60-75 degree night/day temps, have been circulating air with a fan, and have maintained decent humidity levels. Started in 16oz clear Solo cups, then transplanted to 5gal fabric pots once roots looked to be well established. I haven't supplemented with nutes, as I read Ocean Forest has plenty and autos are finicky about excess nutes. Could someone PLEASE give me some ideas as to what I could be doing wrong? Attaching two pictures..the GC is a little younger, and has been trained, though I started a little bit late... The Widow has not been trained at all, as I made the decision once it had already stiffened up. Any input would be really, really appreciated. It's very discouraging seeing people posting threads asking this same question about plants that dwarf mine. Im gonna switch to photoperiod after these, and just let them veg until they're big enough to satisfy me. Thanks ahead of time for taking the time to read/respond!

Attachments

• IMG_20190328_214956.jpg
    IMG_20190328_214956.jpg
    680.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20190328_214946.jpg
    IMG_20190328_214946.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20190328_214927.jpg
    IMG_20190328_214927.jpg
    636.3 KB · Views: 132
I haven't grown Autos before (or yet) but pretty sure most folks stick with an 18/6 schedule as only Photo's do you have to go with 12/12 to put them and keep them in Flower mode. Clear cups is also not a good idea, as light will kill the root ends.

Welcome to 420 mag. Why did you switch the light cycle? Most autos are grown 18/6 or better through there life. I switched light cycle on my auto flower to 12/12 and it did ok. I’ll never do it again. I mixed auto flower and photos together. I’m also afraid you might not have enough light to get a big harvest. Cheers!!!:blunt:

Dwight, thanks for the heads up about the cups! Good info to have.

JDeck, switched the light because I felt as though on my first grow, the seemed to actually shoot up a bit with the extra hours of dark. I'm running 1 300W light over each plant.

The GC is a little younger and more flexible, but I still started training a little late.. the widow is bigger and more stiff, I basically just have it pulled back a bit for better light penetration. About as much as I felt comfortable doing with it, given it's age.

In addition to the advice already given, I see a couple problems. You will notice that your environment plays a huge role in how your plants grow. 60-75F is too cold. Your plants like to be between 70-85F. They appreciate it when they have a difference between Night and day temps of 10 degrees or so.
Humidity is also huge! More important, in my opinion, than temperatures.
If your interested in more info, check my vapor pressure deficit thread I wrote. The link is in my sig.

The second problem, and I mean this with love, auto flowers require some level of experience to get the most out of them. If you have perfectly controlled growroom, autoflowers will do very well. For new growers, they often haven’t worked on their environment very much. Then, when the auto produces a low yield, the grower gets discouraged. I know because this was my path lol.

Sounds like you’ve already seen the light and are making the switch to photos. That’s great. Work on the environment some and then add some more lighting and work your way back to trying autos again one day.

If you haven’t already, start a journal so you can have people offer advice and learn with you. Best of luck man!

Awesome! Really appreciate the input. Looks like I've got some preparation to do for the next grow!
Glad I could help. Feel free to tag me when you start your journal so I can watch along. Cheers:thumb:

Autos can take 24 hours of light day in day our, most growers tend to do 20 hours on and 4 hours off, I've kept my 600W led on 24 hours a day through out its grow at a height of around 24/27 inches and they are doing really well

Back
Top Bottom