What am I doing wrong?

queenweed

420 Member
I have no problems germinating my seeds using the paper towel method, the first tap root almost always appears within 16-36 hours. I then place them in rockwool cubes which have been soaked in ph balanced water and it does end up shooting but either they get way too tall and fall over or they remain short with no progress. I try to maintain the cubes moist and not too wet but that seems to be where everything goes wrong. They're under a T5 fluorescent light on an 18/ schedule... Any tips on proper seedling irrigation using rockwool cubes (or any tips at all) ?? Ive already killed off my white widows, lemon skunks and ak47 :( help please any tips will be greatly appreciated.
The photos are the babies I have now which in my opinion are so sad looking... I thought they were too soaked yesterday so I let them air out for about 10 minutes and this is what I came back to, discarded about 4 last night.

Attachments

• IMG_2147.jpg
    IMG_2147.jpg
    686.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2148.jpg
    IMG_2148.jpg
    982 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2149.jpg
    IMG_2149.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2150.jpg
    IMG_2150.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2151.jpg
    IMG_2151.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 111
Simple fix keep light much closer use cfl and keep them inches away to stop early stretch its all about light when it comes to early stretch.

I already have the T5 light directly on top of the propagator, do you think the light isn't strong enough?? I should also mention that I have a heat mat that I program to approximately 26C

Your Rockwool cubes are probably too wet. And what beantownfan said lights closer if they are stretching like crazy.

how would you recommend keeping the moisture without "over wetting" at first I'd pour new solution over them every 2 days but now I'm switching to just a light spray bottle... Im germinating seeds at the moment so I'll definitely try out all the tips I can get

how would you recommend keeping the moisture without "over wetting" at first I'd pour new solution over them every 2 days but now I'm switching to just a light spray bottle... Im germinating seeds at the moment so I'll definitely try out all the tips I can get

what are you soaking the Rockwool in plain ph’d water? And what is the ph of your water when soaking? Don’t ever squeeze the Rockwool or if it was smashed don’t use it. Once Rockwool gets damaged or compressed at all it can’t hold enough oxygen for the delicate seedling.

Pics help

One bulb or 8 bulb t5???

Rock wool is notorious for killing seedlings... Stays wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to wet

Use a spray bottle and mist the top of the rockwool
I'd suggest Rapid rooters in the future

what are you soaking the Rockwool in plain ph’d water? And what is the ph of your water when soaking? Don’t ever squeeze the Rockwool or if it was smashed don’t use it. Once Rockwool gets damaged or compressed at all it can’t hold enough oxygen for the delicate seedling.

Yes Im only soaking in plain water at about 5.4-5.6 ph but no nutes, looking more online and it seems people are soaking their cubes in low nutes and ph balanced water.
I do have an ec of about 0.7 when I renew the water after first putting them in

Pics help

One bulb or 8 bulb t5???

Rock wool is notorious for killing seedlings... Stays wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to wet

Use a spray bottle and mist the top of the rockwool
I'd suggest Rapid rooters in the future

I just posted some photos so everyone can get a better understanding of how disappointed I am and to aid with any tips.. its one bulb T5

Yup

Drowning, another word for it but can't think of it......lol

And I don't even see a light in those pics

It's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too far away, put it right on the dome
T5 can be 6" away.....i

Yes Im only soaking in plain water at about 5.4-5.6 ph but no nutes, looking more online and it seems people are soaking their cubes in low nutes and ph balanced water.
I do have an ec of about 0.7 when I renew the water after first putting them in
.7 out of the tap? I do add nutrients from the start. Very light strength. And a mychorrizae added for increased root development.

Yup

Drowning, another word for it but can't think of it......lol

And I don't even see a light in those pics

It's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too far away, put it right on the dome
T5 can be 6" away.....i

this is the light I am using directly on top of the dome, I also have an LED blurail light that I use for vegetative stage, would that be better maybe?

Attachments

• IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    692 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2155.jpg
    IMG_2155.jpg
    591 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2156.jpg
    913.4 KB · Views: 106
One bulb isn't enough. The light dosent have any real penetration
For that area you need 2 bulbs minimum , I used a 4 bulb t5