What are common mistakes made by first time growers?

So hopefully this isn't a stupid question.. sorry but with males they don't flower right and just produce seeds? So therefore they don't yield anything and you just have to chuck them?
Thanks guys :peace:

The only stupid question there ever is...is the question you fail to ask...

Males do still produce THC, just not at acceptable or desirable levels or even in a smokable form. Yes, just chuck em, it'll cost more in water than you'd get from it...and it gives the ladies more room to breathe if needed..

To add to that, males do not produce seeds. But the females that they pollinate do.

so i germinated some seeds from some buds...they are very large plants now...about 3ft tall. we want to start flowering but not exactly sure the best way.

we grew them on window light...nothing fancy at all. can we just flower them in a closet with nothing fancy or do we need to have a light and a timer?

we want to start flowering but not exactly sure the best way.

Supply them with 12 hours of uninterrupted total darkness every day.

we grew them on window light...nothing fancy at all. can we just flower them in a closet with nothing fancy or do we need to have a light and a timer?

The more usable light, the more smokable bud.

How much and what type is up to you. If you just carry the plant from your window to the (DARK) closet and back every day, it is probable that you will harvest something. But it's better to have a bushel of apples in your root cellar than half an apple in your... bowl.

Got four little ones that just arrived. Hopefully, one will be a little lady. They're staying outside till I can tell either way. I plan on letting them move into they're own room inside once I sort. I got six leaves showing now. Will plan on CF, 6 bulbs for up to two plants in a small grow.

I really didn't want to go into a science lesson... but I guess I will have to...

The sun burns at roughly 5800 Kelvin, and varies in temp from 5500-6500k. At 5800K, the sun produces blue-white end spectrum of light, which is ideal for vegetative growth. However, during the equinox, when the earth's tilt increases, the angle the sun projects the light is increased. When the angle is increased, the light is stretched and diminished, and falls in temperature to the red end of the spectrum. Due to the angle of the rays hitting the earth, and the sunrise/sunset angles account for more than half of the garnered energy, it triggers bloom as it prepares its fruit and seeds for winter.

To address your, idk, confusion? The sun, as stated above, "hits red in fall, which triggers bloom" - the sun hits the red spectrum, which triggers the plant to prepare itself for winter, which produces our favorite topic of discussion, and seeds.

No, harvest based on appearance is not solely indoors. My fall is different, and maybe earlier or later than yours. Maybe it's a different season all together. Maybe I don't have a fall. Who's going to harvest earlier? Someone in northern Canada, or someone in California? What about someone in australia?? If they pick a season, or get some idiotic time frame in their head, as a new grower, they will fail or be sadly disappointed in their product or maybe not even end up with a product.

And no, I don't want anyone to take my advice. Or everyone can. I could care less. This is just my input. I'm also an old head, always preferred indica, and like to push my harvest as late as possible, when possible, for the highest CBD possible. I do not ever base it on time, season, days, anything. I don't even keep track, literally. Never have, never will. For me, it's all based on how it looks. The texture, the density, scent of the buds, the color of the trichs, are all factors to when I begin my flush.

Here's how I learned. I planted a seed, it grew a little and died. so I tried again, adjusting a few things, and planted another one. It grew twice as long, and much better, but died. Change a couple other things, next thing I know, I've got 4 plants busting out of their pots. My first successful grow, and 3 of those 4 ended up male. But I was unsure at the time what a male plant even looked like, so I let it grow. It was seedy, and ugly, but it smoked and got me high, and I knew exactly what to look for, and what I was doing right. My next grow, planted 6, 4 proved female, and I was on my way.

:popcorn::laugh:

I'm not sure if I should bow in awe or inform you that the Sun's kelvins and light spektrum are going to be completely useless to 99.99% of outdoor growers (or indoor for that matter).

Growing pot isn't rocket science, the kelvins and sun spectrum sure do play a roll in basic plant biology, but are definitely not important or applicable to most outdoor growers. A grower refines their grow based on where in the world they are. There is no time frame for anything, it changes every year.

Frankly your post is hard to break down, because you go hardcore scientist in one paragraph and then nonchalantly spout off how you don't even keep track of your grow based on anything. You state simply that you harvest "based on how it looks." Plant science is not a disipline of mine though it is a hobby, but I fail to see the relevance of Kelvins or Spektrums if the author doesn't even care about anything but "looks".

I grow every plant, be it strain of cannabis or a strain of tomato, according to how it seems to grow best in my environment. There is no hardline science to growing anything; you have to tailor what you have to your environment. I applaud your refined knowledge of plant biology, but in the scheme of things, its completely irrelivent. I grew some epic plants where I came from, but even moving a mere 100 miles away, the same tactics are completely useless.

hey all,newbbie here,here's my question...small grow,1 plant,4months old,about 4-5 ft height...in a closet..not completely set up..growing natural..12/12 light cycle..but!not going w/any light's..other than the sun! very small buds,maybe between 1/4-1/2?..starting to look amber,sticky and stinky..like ready??question is,can i start it on light's now? or is it not worth it? sorry no pics at the moment...thank's for any info/help..greatly appreciated..

Is she in trouble, why change things up now? Seems to me that you (depending on your location) could just keep her outside and let mother do her job w/the natural light.

You could start using "lights" but, it shouldn't be too long now and she should be done anyways (naturally). Would save money and IMNSHO probably give you a better finished product.

As for being "amber,sticky and stinky..like ready??" that's real possible but a picture would help bunches!

If you are unsure when to harvest her... check this out:
How To Know When To Harvest

thank's for the reply,i was just kinda curious about putting a light on now.if it would be of any benefit??only real issue w/her is the leaves started curling under some,like maybe a phosphorus deficiency? but i'm thinking it's ready..i'll see about putting a picture up...
thank's again,i've been wandering around here for some time,thought i would jump on board...have picked up a bunch of info that helps in our veggie garden too..great site...

hey all,newbbie here,here's my question...small grow,1 plant,4months old,about 4-5 ft height...in a closet..not completely set up..growing natural..12/12 light cycle..but!not going w/any light's..other than the sun! very small buds,maybe between 1/4-1/2?..starting to look amber,sticky and stinky..like ready??question is,can i start it on light's now? or is it not worth it? sorry no pics at the moment...thank's for any info/help..greatly appreciated..
are the amber tricombs on the leaves or the buds?

tricomes are found on the buds, and the smaller frosted leaves around the buds.:goodluck:
danny hoo id continue on 12/12 till flushing is complete. give it 2 more weeks. you can get those buds fatter too. i always say if it looks done wait at least another week. 1/4 to 1/2 inch buds sounds small for a 4 to 5 foot plant getting natural sun. just my opinion:peace:.

Hello, I am a first time grower and i am having problems with flowering, i started growing Northern lights Blue Strain, i wanted to have a good sized plant before i began the flowering phase so i waited until the plant was over 20" tall before i began the 12/12 lighting system, now in the beginning i was running a 150W HPS bulb and some florescent bulbs 24/7 as well, Then i recently switched to a 600W HPS, now its been more then a month since i began the 12 hours of night per day and i see pistols coming out and turning brown but there are no buds or flowers showing, i changed the fertilizer mixture according to the directions,using FloraGro/Flora Micro/Flora Bloom, i change the water every couple weeks and still i feel disappointed in the progress.

Also, I'm having alot of trouble getting my seeds to germinate, i have tried every type of medium, i pre soak for at least 24hrs in sterilized water, i make sure my hands are clean when I'm working, iv tried starting them in the paper towel, with a baggie, Soil potting mix by miracle grow, Rock wool, germination box with heat pad, with light and without light and out of a package of 10 G13 Haze seeds i have tried 7 of them and only 1 has sprouted and it looks like its ready to die, I'm going crazy because not only was i looking forward to trying this rumored amazing strain but i paid $170.00 for them so it sucks when i watch them lie dormant.

Please help if you can,

Mean Dean

Back
Top Bottom