What are Compact Fluorescents and How Can I use them for Growing?

200w of cfl lights need about the same cooling as a 400w hps or metal

Srry im first time grower and i was wondering if i will need 2 different lights for veg. growth and flowering growth, or do i just need to change the light cycles of the well light... thnx! Also i have 3 plants growing fine outdoors right now, what light should i use( i can see the flowers slightly alreddy) they are auto flowering type strain thnx if you could help me that would be awesome :))
no you don't but its recommended you can always use a dual arc 1 1000w bulb 600 hps 400 metal needs a 1000w hps or switchable ballast .

yea cfls are pretty good. but you dont get very many harvest out of them. I have to buy new blubs after this grow cycle I am in now. I can notice a difference between how bright they were the first grow cycle, and they have dimmed now that I am in my third grow cycle. I actually plan on upgrading to 150hps system to flower and stick with CFLs for veg. I can get a 150hps system from Growurks.com for a little over 70 bucks and that is with shipping included.

I use CFLs.....granted, I use a lot of 'em. I've been getting great results. I do supplement with sunlight outside when possible, but 80% is CFLs. I use 100 w 150w and 300w equilavent and I place then over and around the plants. 6500k (very"blue") works wonders as clone light and vegging light....much better than sunlight even. For flower they move to a different space and the lights are 3500k and 2700k ...again....CFLs. Once the colas begin to form, I use sunlight when possible...but quite a few just stay inside and finish there. A given clone seems to get a larger yield outdoors for sure, but the sisters done purely indoors are much more frosty. This makes it nice to mix it up a bit.................................hope it helped!:tokin::tokin:

I noticed that the 4 ft tube, cool white.. flos are 6500k. Would these work the same as the CFL? :thanks:

Very helpful stuff. I am a first time grower...Gonna post a pic but can someone identify the light. I read the package but it had no info on lumens or anything. Just simply said 100w reflector light, the place where I bought it said it is good for plants but I am wondering if he didn't know what he was talking about...I have 4 of them and 2 cfls 38w 23 w. I have burned 2 of the plants already

IMG00089-20110822-1657.jpg

Thanks for the response Greenie...Yeah it does get really hot but I have fan blowing on plants too so I hope that helps. 3 of them are 100 w and one a smaller 60 w, looks just like 100 w but smaller besides the 2 cfls. I have them under the 16/8 cycle. I bought a timer today, never had one so I don't know how to set it. My bf tried and it turned off at 11pm, not long enough to make a difference because thats how quick I came to their rescue!! It has been reset and hope we get it right this time..

I found this: "flood lights are generally incandescant which means that they are really bright and make a lot of heat. but they are the wrong radiant light source. so they really wouldnt do shit"
Not sure if that helps or not. Maybe try using the CFL instead??
As for the timer, did you set the correct time of day when you set it? or is it that type?

Hi smokerz,Ive bought a 125w cfl dual spectrum with 4in passive fan,use ona & act carbon homemade filter 4 plan b,my temp is round 27C & air exchange is good,I know that this bulb is ok 4 1-3 plants but better 4 single,all that lovely lite 4 one,I havnt ever grown yet,ever but know bit,I want to know how much 2 flush at end & is a 1 part bottle feed or 2 better,if 1,does the feed carry boosters,do they cover all stages,can u suggest good organic food 4 dwarf plants,Im worried about neut burn,salt buildup,help! Are there boosters 4 bud that work with all feeds,any tips 4 my 1st,pleze send private message or something,Im interested in lowryder 2 or shortstuff or mystic blue,that dosnt stink,sumfin round 10in? Thanx,Im tired of making otherz rich & trying 2 find dwarf plant thats strong enuf 4 redeye.:thanks: :adore: :ganjamon::lot-o-toke::blunt::peace:

Re: try a little tenderness!

Ive seen plenty of strong small plants in many banks that are autoflowering,dwarf & usually many colas,keeping it flat with the s.c.r.o.g style,leaves staying one level,why isnt cfl bulbs ive read any good 4 full growth,rubbish,150w cfl is ideal for many plants,with dual spectrum with ideal levels of lumens & growth,a lamp holder,bulb etc can cost £45! Dwarf..Autoflowering..feminised..thats what u want,you can get odourless dwarf weed,yes..mystic blue from nirvana,joint dr etc.I see chat of small wattage bulbs,why..you can use 1 & train ur plant to lean & colas will rise to the bulb,the food going to bud insted of stem! Watch 4 5.0.:lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke: :thumb:

It is enough to use for flowering. I would suggest using a mixture of 6500k and 2700k lights when you switch to flowering. this will give a better light spectrum and help develop better buds. I would put the lights ac close as possible to the plants to get the most efficient use out of them. You can add a screen above the plants and train them under it. It is called the screen of green or SCROG. You can find information on it under the how to grow marijuana-everything you need to know.

mine took 3 days to break through the peat pellet i put it in. ill be growing big bud#2 after the auto diesel. does anyone have info on this strain and how its different from big bud 1

I know this is a old post, but I have a ?
I will start to flower in 2 weeks, I have been using a grow bulb for
my veg. The plants look great and healthy. When I go into flower mode,
is it ok to leave grow light above grow, and mini flows on the sides.
thanks rope

Why wouldn't you leave it above the plants? I mean if you want to add lights to the side to help with growth that is fine. I just don't understand; why you would not light from the top. you are going to want keep the light about 2''-3'' from the top of the plants.

Thanks for response excited2start. I will just take out grow lights and put mini fro"s on top and on sides. I even have some leafs growing down, ( leafs in middle of the plant).
So thanks for advice. Ready to flower in 2 weeks. can"t wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's a "mini fro?"

Again why take out the grow light? It will help with the growth of the plant. I mean add the florescent lights to the side just dont get rid of the light above the plant. Use both you will get better growth. florescent lights do the job, but you need a lot of them to do it. If you look at my journals I posted the first was done with florescent light and the other was started with florescent light and finished with hid lighting. You can see what I mean. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom