What are some causes of slow plant growth?

Cool, i have a royal queen fruit spirit seedling thats just sprouted its jiffy and first time grower so i might use this method. Is this best used before flowering or during?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using 420

I checked soil ppm and it came out ~3500 ppm, not sure why. My mixture is around 900, so it's probably soil (fox farm)+earthworm+perlite and i added azomite. Do you think it's because of azomite, maybe too much? Plant looks good and no signs of any problems, could be bigger but except that everything ok. Is there any way to lower ppm?

I have just started growing and am in to like my 20th plant now and it hasn't even been 2 months I just keep running into problems I'm figuring them out but still I'm getting a little frustrated recently I realized that all along I have been over watering and didn't realize it until I went to transplant one and the roots were soaking wet most of the plants have either died before I got out of my first week or so but like I said I've been over watering would it benefit me to transplant them to a larger vessel and add more soil to compinsate. For the extra. Water I don't want them to die off and before they seem to die off Before they use up the water.

Hi,

7 Bubba Kush seeds from CKS. All popped. Planted in soil, indoors under a ViparSpectra 300 watt LED. They popped up fast once under light, but now two of the seedlings have yellow leaves, and they're all growing slow. Please let me know how I can help them improve....

Specs:

It's been one week under the LED light - which is about 12 inches above plants.
No nutes. I water them morning and night with collected rain water as they look quite dry.
Humidity 40.
Temp 68 degrees.
5 planted in jiffy peat pots. 2 with yellow leaves live in small clay pots.
Organic soil.
All plants are about half inch tall.
Window in room is cracked during the day for air.
24 hour LED light cycle.

All thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Vlad

Overwatering
Soil moisture that is not absorbed rapidly turns stagnant; the plant quickly uses up any oxygen within the water, then is unable to respire further, resulting in moisture low in o2. Pythium thrives in low-oxygen (anaerobic) conditions.

In short, overwatering will slowly suffocate your roots, preventing sufficient oxygen uptake by the roots, and ultimately causing root rot.

Soil with high bark content
This can cause a "bonsai" effect. The roots will not be able to grow through the bark, preferring to grow around the chunks of bark. This slows down root growth and most obviously plant growth. Ive encounter this recently; once transplanted into proper soil, they have shown remarkable recovery.

[Editor's note: bark is quite acidic, may may afect soil water pH]

Light deprivation
Although your plant may be receiving light, particular strains may require higher light levels than others. A recommended light level for full bud development is 50 watts/m2. Full sunlight is 100,000 lumens max.

Low nutrient strength
The plant is unable to acquire the necessary amounts of nutrients to sustain high growth rates. Large and mature plants can take higher nutrient strengths.

Nutrient strength is also related to the light intensity; plants under fluorescent lights usually require a lower nutrient concentration than under HIDs.

Nutrient lockup
Adding too much of a nutrient (ex. Magnesium) can "lockup" one or more nutrients, rendering them chemically unavailable to the plant. Nutrient lockup can occur at extreme pH ranges (ie. under 5.0, over 7.0).

Light spectrum
Light that does not contain enough red spectrum (too much blue)
Light spectrum can have a dramatic effect on plant growth, with different ligh frequencies affecting different photosynthetic processes within the leaf. Selecting a blue spectrum in a vegetative growth phase is preferred, with red spectrum in flowering.

pH
pH is too high or too low (ie. acidic soil. The plants come out as mutants).
Plants are unable to absorb nutrients, or in adequate quantities within certain pH ranges. Optimum pH varies with each medium. Hydroponics and aeroponics: 5.6-5.8. Soilless: 6.0-6.3 Soil: 6.5-7.0.

Many soilless mixtures can be fairly acidic, due to their high % bark content.

Low temperatures
Plant metabolism will decrease at low temperatures. Chemical reactions within the plant will take longer. Optimum plant growth often requires close temperature regulation; daytime temperatures between 25C and 30C are preferred. Differences in daytime and nighttime temps should not be dramatic, as this difference may shock the plant.

Low soil / medium temp
Evaporation from a medium (i.e. peat pots) tends to chill the medium quite a bit due to the evaporative cooling effect. As the peat pot warms, it draws moisture outward, the evap effect cools the peat (like sweating). New growers often make the mistake of adding excessive amounts of water, resulting in cold soil, poor root formation and slowed growth

I have a question - I'm currently using a 60x60x170 125w 6500k for my plants in my room. The room is fairly small, but I am not having too many problems with the heat since there's an A/C unit. My question is... Should I be using a 2700k as well? I have both... The 2700k is 200w though. Have only used the 6500k since I started my grow. Can I use both? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Nice info!

Will simple LED bulbs do the trick? I currently only have a 69w (3 CFL bulb @ 23w) setup in a space bucket. Me saying this only confirms I'm a newb at growing and all the other things associated with it, but I was led to believe then that the more watts used to light a plant will yield great results. Since LED bulbs provide more power than CFLs with less power consumption, I'd actually stick to them instead---the reason for this inquiry.
Can simple LED bulbs aide in the plant's growth, same with the LED strips?
Thank you!

Will simple LED bulbs do the trick? I currently only have a 69w (3 CFL bulb @ 23w) setup in a space bucket. Me saying this only confirms I'm a newb at growing and all the other things associated with it, but I was led to believe then that the more watts used to light a plant will yield great results. Since LED bulbs provide more power than CFLs with less power consumption, I'd actually stick to them instead---the reason for this inquiry.
Can simple LED bulbs aide in the plant's growth, same with the LED strips?
Thank you!

I believe the answer is yes. They have to be specific LED though. Not sure which kind though.

By specific LED meaning? I can use the ordinary kind of LED bulbs, yes? Or should I mix and match different colors of light?
Thanks for the reply man

I have personally never used LED, so I'm not as informed on them as I would like to be. Still learning a lot myself. Hope you find your answer.

I have personally never used LED, so I'm not as informed on them as I would like to be. Still learning a lot myself. Hope you find your answer.

Still, thanks a bunch man. I learned a lot as well reading your grow journal and the input all the members've put in it. I hope all your grows are well.

To get back on the subject of this thread ... why some plants just don't grow ...

I have done a lot of cloning, and a lot of growing.
Inside and out.

I currently 'manage' three indoor grows of various sizes ... smallest one a 3600 wt SCROG. The plants from this grow and the others, are the offspring of my mothers. Blue Dream, AK-47, Cindy 99, Gorilla Glue.
If I put 150 plants under lights, two or three of them just WILL NOT thrive. There is life. It is green and appears healthy ... just won't grow. There is roots ... but, they don't THRIVE. These are all sisters, all from the same mom, all raised on the same nutes, in the same place ... and one or two of them won't grow.
Why?
Hell, I don't know. Don't care either.
I always grow 10% more than I actually bring to adulthood.
That allows me to toss the Prima Donna's.

I don't allow finicky girls in my garden. If they going to breathe my CO2, and enjoy the nutes and bask under my lights - they gotta put out. If they don't, they find themselves looking for another place to live.

As chauvinistic as this sounds ... the same rules apply to humans.

~ Auggie ~

Ok. I am growing 4 plants, two tutankhamen(mostly indica),one AK Kali (mostly sativa) and one blueberry plant, 4th generation (mostly sativa) under 2-400 watt cfl bulbs at 5600k. These plants, except for the blueberry(which is over 6 months old because it is a clone) are about a month old, but they are only several inches high. They are all in Happy Frog soil, with a small amount of vermiculite (about 20 percent). The blueberry is in a 6 inch pot, as is the AK Kali, and the other two are in three inch pots right now, but are going to be transferred to 12 inch pots. I use PH Perfect fertilizer, a three-part fertilizer which is excellent. Right now, I am using about 1 ML or less per pint of water, and I am adding a terpene mix, along with a small amount of blackstrap molasses. The problem is, they are growing so slowly. They should be at least 6 to 8 inches by now (i'm talking the three plants, not the blueberry, which is already about 8 inches tall), but are only a couple of inches tall. The stems are fairly thick, and I keep the light about two inches above the two tut plants, and the ak plant is in the middle, with the blueberry on the other side, getting the other light. Is there something I can do to make these plants grow quicker? Do I need to add more light? The problem is, even with a fan directly overhead, when the door is closed, the temperature goes up to 90 degrees. With it open (and the air conditioner on), it is around 72 to 75 degrees. I leave it open most of the time, except for about an hour in the morning before I crack the door open on one side, which lowers the temp to around 80 degrees. Can someone help me out here, or am i just wasting my time?

Hi,

7 Bubba Kush seeds from CKS. All popped. Planted in soil, indoors under a ViparSpectra 300 watt LED. They popped up fast once under light, but now two of the seedlings have yellow leaves, and they're all growing slow. Please let me know how I can help them improve....

Specs:

It's been one week under the LED light - which is about 12 inches above plants.
No nutes. I water them morning and night with collected rain water as they look quite dry.
Humidity 40.
Temp 68 degrees.
5 planted in jiffy peat pots. 2 with yellow leaves live in small clay pots.
Organic soil.
All plants are about half inch tall.
Window in room is cracked during the day for air.
24 hour LED light cycle.

All thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Vlad
you need to let them sleep some time as they are starting out you can do 18 and a half on and 6 and a half off but they do need air have you looked in to a grow tent and a timer will work good and you just let them grow and depend on how mine you are growing depends on how mine WATS you need i hope i was some help

Ok. I am growing 4 plants, two tutankhamen(mostly indica),one AK Kali (mostly sativa) and one blueberry plant, 4th generation (mostly sativa) under 2-400 watt cfl bulbs at 5600k. These plants, except for the blueberry(which is over 6 months old because it is a clone) are about a month old, but they are only several inches high. They are all in Happy Frog soil, with a small amount of vermiculite (about 20 percent). The blueberry is in a 6 inch pot, as is the AK Kali, and the other two are in three inch pots right now, but are going to be transferred to 12 inch pots. I use PH Perfect fertilizer, a three-part fertilizer which is excellent. Right now, I am using about 1 ML or less per pint of water, and I am adding a terpene mix, along with a small amount of blackstrap molasses. The problem is, they are growing so slowly. They should be at least 6 to 8 inches by now (i'm talking the three plants, not the blueberry, which is already about 8 inches tall), but are only a couple of inches tall. The stems are fairly thick, and I keep the light about two inches above the two tut plants, and the ak plant is in the middle, with the blueberry on the other side, getting the other light. Is there something I can do to make these plants grow quicker? Do I need to add more light? The problem is, even with a fan directly overhead, when the door is closed, the temperature goes up to 90 degrees. With it open (and the air conditioner on), it is around 72 to 75 degrees. I leave it open most of the time, except for about an hour in the morning before I crack the door open on one side, which lowers the temp to around 80 degrees. Can someone help me out here, or am i just wasting my time?[/QUOT you have to bring the outside in your room gets way to hot if you are using c02 then you want it about 85 degrees but not at the age i am willing to help you blueberry is hard to grow right off the bat so i am going to give you some ideas here is one bananas pills is a good place to start you and another place to start is when the lights are on it should get about 75 and when the lights are off then it should get 73 no lower then 70 and the lights you i dont know about the lights i need to know what lights you are using and the light should have a fan on it ore something to keep the air going around and a round there is more in just putting the seeds in something and they grow but i have more ideas for you and blueberry's should take 6 to 8 week to get to there full sises but dont know what kind of blueberry's you are growing but your ak pull them out and look at the roots and see what cooler they are if there are brown there bad sine i need you to look at the roots and get back to me

Please help plus i am growing all natural no nothing but light and water . Plant is about 25 days in from planting the germinated seed on oct 3 it is about 6 inches tall with about 6 branch off of main stem leaves are green not drooping or anything is this a normal size ???? I have a picture but dont know how to add it

Hey, guys, can you please help me with my problem?

I'm growing from the seed for the first time, I've always started with clones before. I successfully germinated, put them under CFL for a while, now they're under 600W MH lamp.

Setup
- 9 Bubba's Gift plants from Humboldt Seeds
- 110x110x160 growbox
- 600W MH lamp (Superplant)
- Coco

Fertilizers
- I put just a small amount of Jungle in da Box fertilizers + Supervit.
- pH 5.8

Now the problem:
Symptomps:
- Slow growth. I literally didn't see any change for a past weeek.
- Leaves curling as you can see on my photos
- Branches are very close to each other but that may be a problem of the strain

Dates:
- Seeds germinated on 7.10.
- I put seedlings under 600W on 16.10.
^ this means the plants are almost month old. Are they supposed to be this small?

Probable causes / What I tried
- At first I thought the plants are freezing. The MH lamp doesn't produce much heat (it's in cooltube) and I use a humidifier that produces cool mist. Cool mist is the first thing I thought is the problem. I stopped using the humidifier for like a day or two, but it didn't help and humidity dropped to 30 % so I turned it back on. The temperature is 20.5 - 24 °C. Humidity around 50 %.
- Because of the cold problem, I closed a window a lil' bit. Not entirely, there's still a gap. But, I thought that maybe plants are not getting enough air. However, opening window didn't help and I used this technique before with much bigger plants with no problem.
- After reading some articles, I suspected my plants are suffering with bud rot. However, roots are not brown or slimy and there's no smell.
- I'm 90 % sure it's not overwattered or underwattered. I water them every day with little bit of water and fertilizers and next day, they're almost completely dry.

Photos: Share.Pho.to | This photo set was shared via Share.Pho.to

Thanks for any suggestions and help!

I'm a first time grower, I had to move my ladies from a cupboard in the house to the shed. Temperature in the grow tent went from around 35c /95f (too hot! I know) to a low 10c (50f). They have been out there in the shed a week and I have only watered them once, days ago and the coco still feels damp (using canna coco and perlite 50/50) I have read people watering twice a day! I guess they have much higher temperatures than 10c!
I know I should only water when they are drying out but I'm worried as they are not drying out! I have sprayed the leaves with nutrient solution (canna a b, rhizotonic, calmag) and there looking healthy but I'm worried about slow growth and possible mold growing in the pots. I have no photos right now but there looking lush green but fairly short and busy.
My question is would a germination heat pad like this be a good investment or some other kind of heater?

VIVOSUN Durable Waterproof Seedling Heat Mat Warm Hydroponic Heating Pad 25*52cm
VIVOSUN Durable Waterproof Seedling Heat Mat Warm Hydroponic Heating Pad 25*52cm:Amazon.co.uk:Garden & Outdoors

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom