What are Trichomes? Trichome 101

:passitleft:,,what can i say,,,very nice ,,currently doing vanilla kush,,just wondered if you've ever came across it and wots it like ,,ie,,taste,aroma,body/head buzz,,.got about 2 wks till harvest,,but still seems to be growing in places + grown a bit streachy and bramble like

The trichomes are what hold the THC. Trichomes is just another way of saying resin gland. This is where the THC and cannabinoids are stored. No trichomes or immature trichomes=no high/poor high. Its that simple.

No, the correct term is resin glands. Trichomes can mean a number of different outgrowths from any plant: Trichome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're right though, they the cannabinoids - each little resin head & stalk is made of essential oils.

LOL...what "profit" said...

This site (and this thread) have been SO helpful!

Cool people...excellent information...

A note about checking TRICH'S:

REMEMBER TO CHECK TRICH'S, PISTILS AND BUDS IN "NORMAL" LIGHTING!

IF YOU ARE USING AN 'HPS' (WHICH THROWS 'RED' LIGHT) THE HPS LIGHT 'TINTS' THE TRICHS AND PISTILS....THEY (AND THE 'PISTLES') WILL APPEAR TO STILL LOOK WHITE/CLEAR...when you look at them under regular light, you will see the pistles may already be changing! I noticed this phenominon last night while tending the garden...

While finishing up, the HPS timer shut it off...and when i popped on the regular light...SHA-ZAMMM! lol...i saw the pistles on my PurplHaze were starting to turn orange! The TRICHS are still amazingly white and sticky! LOL...no matter how careful i am, my hands still get all sticky! TIP: veg oil then degreaser dish soap works AWESOME for that!

here is what i saw...
purphazeF.jpg
purphazeF.jpg

purphazeC.jpg
purphazeA.jpg

These are just very top of nugs, bottom shot is w/flash...oops......maybe another 2-3 days, then flush and HARVEST...

SOOOOOOO...as this tutorial says...harvest in the early part of window...head buzz...lol...later in the window...medicinal/body...

decisions...dcisions...what to do?...LMSAO:thumb:

:peace:

hi evryone

Knowing this information is imperative for growing a decent crop.

Everything from the start can be spot on, ph, ppm/ec and nutes but harvesting at your correct time will make a big big differance. Excellent post mm, an essential read/learning curve for a beginner like me. thx !!!

Farmerbarny Be Happy be Nice and be kind :420: :nicethread:

Just went into flowering for the first time so now I'm getting really excited. Great information thank you thank you thank you

Awesome article, very valuable information! And even better news is that I will begin my first harvest in a week or so!

Congrats Tatt...
remember to give your gurlz a nice 'clean flush' for the LAST week in flowering...check the TRICHs in normal light as you go...

Youre gonna have a ball with trimming, drying, curing and TASTING your new hobby! lol

:goodjob::thumb:

and for your viewing pleasure...this is what you can look forward to! BON APETIT!
0703120015-01colas.jpg

0701120107-02.jpg

purphazeTRIMMED.jpg

purphazeTRIMMEDa.jpg

FINAL_PURPLEHAZE_BUDS.jpg

hi everyone,

some nice looking bud there punksonn, im on my first grow now, and this site was invaluable. i've made some mistakes on the way but its all been a learning curve for me, smoked for a while but never thought about doing my own. i harvest tomorrow so im on pins at the min, carnt wait to get started. i only did the one plant, blue cheese 'well started with 2 but one grew a pair of gonads so it went'. i think this thread regarding trichomes is very important knowledge in the latter period of the cycle, i got a little x60 microscope with light as big as my thumb for £5.00 and they have played a big part in my desicion as to when to harvest through what iv learned. Thanks to everyone who is a part of this community for being so selfless and sharing your experiences/knowledge. Iv took some pictures along the way so when iv finished i will put them up in a journal. She is 41inch/104cm tall and 45inch across. really fat and bushey.

Thanks again, very much appreciated, farmerbarny Be Happy be Nice and be Kind!!!! :thanks:

:420: rocks

hi everyone,

some nice looking bud there punksonn, im on my first grow now, and this site was invaluable. i've made some mistakes on the way but its all been a learning curve for me, smoked for a while but never thought about doing my own. i harvest tomorrow so im on pins at the min, carnt wait to get started. i only did the one plant, blue cheese 'well started with 2 but one grew a pair of gonads so it went'. i think this thread regarding trichomes is very important knowledge in the latter period of the cycle, i got a little x60 microscope with light as big as my thumb for £5.00 and they have played a big part in my desicion as to when to harvest through what iv learned. Thanks to everyone who is a part of this community for being so selfless and sharing your experiences/knowledge. Iv took some pictures along the way so when iv finished i will put them up in a journal. She is 41inch/104cm tall and 45inch across. really fat and bushey.

Thanks again, very much appreciated, farmerbarny Be Happy be Nice and be Kind!!!! :thanks:

:420: rocks

hey farmer...lol..yup, with the info and input i've gotten here AND with the help of a couple 'gro-guru's' i know...this is becoming a very fun hobby! lol

Funny thing is...prior to me being diagnosed w/Stage IIIa lung cancer in 2009 (3+ years in complete remission and doin very well...according to doc's), i would have only smoked occaisionally...(did my share of smokin in the mid-70's in high school and college) ...but here in Michigan, the Michigan Medical Marijuana law passed in 2008 and my doctors were REAL quick to get my "legal" with the law. So....it took 18 months, and like you, a few mistakes later...VIOLA!

Now, i'm growin and cloning stuff that makes what i smoked 30+ years ago seem like what ya scrape from under a lawnmower! LMSAO ...i've had some people tell me my 'stuff' is TOO strong...nonsense! ha ha ha

The top 2 photos are my current crop, MobyDick and WonderWoman=both indicas(dont mind the strings...lol...th little darlins got SO heavy, i had to tie em up! maybe i should get them training bra's! ha ha ha) ANYWAY...the bottom shots are from my last harvest of PurpleHaze.....it was alot of work, but worth it and fun!

And when ya learn to CLONE your favorite 'strain'...doors will open for ya!

May i suggest...hang buds in cool, dark and dry place til the buds seem a bit 'crunchy' to the touch (4-5 days depending on bud size-use large buds to check)...then, in brown paper bags, GENTLY lay buds inside and loosely close bag. Check twice a day and 'turn' buds over for even drying. When the buds snap clean from the branch, seperate buds from stem, and use glass mason jars...put about 1/2 ounce per quart size jar. Open and rotate buds in jar every couple days to prevent mould...then you can just store your stash in th jars. It is BEST to then store the jars in cool, dark place...a closet will do! OK...i'll shut up now! just wanna share insight!

Wishing you the best...cant wait for your pics...AND review as you taste your stash! Stay tuned...i'm gonna post pic's of my harvest...

:goodjob::peace::high-five::bravo::420:

punksonn,

thx for the suggestion and info on the drying and curing. iv read quite a bit about the different technics. i was going to hang them for a couple of days in my bud tent, then scratch the stems then leave for another couple of days. just a question if you dont mind. would it make a big difference if i kept the light on to produce more heat or is it best to leave it in the dark, and why??, just trying to learn :thumb:

Oh please share as much insight as you wish,
ive had to tie a couple of branches up myself as they were in danger of snapping if i didnt, similar to the way youve done yours. thx for taking the time to reply, i have arthiritis which i inherited from my dad whos had to have the last three fingers off on each hand, but here in the uk there is no medical marijuana so i have to be discreet, on the street you average pay £20 for about 1.5 gram of garbage so this is how i came to be here and yes it is fun, very rewarding and its one of them hobbies that you can still learn somthing new in 20 years time. i have to do from seed again next time but i will be taking cuttings off those and keeping a mother. i will put some pics up monday and for my very first grow i think ive done ok. My main mistake was the heating was to high 'used a mh 600w for veg then swiched to a hps dual spectrum 600w from the beginning of flowering to the end and it doubled in size. i will be investing in an intake fan for the next one. The rhino carbon filter is excellent no smell outside the tent at all, at first it was sucking my tent inwards until i opened some vents built in the tent, also need 2 new fans as the ones i have are tired to say the least. Some of the top fan leaves and top leaf have curled up a bit but that will never happen again due to excesive heat.

think i'll put some of my pics in order :cheer:
:420: does rock!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom