What are Trichomes? Trichome 101

punksonn,

thx for the suggestion and info on the drying and curing. iv read quite a bit about the different technics. i was going to hang them for a couple of days in my bud tent, then scratch the stems then leave for another couple of days. just a question if you dont mind. would it make a big difference if i kept the light on to produce more heat or is it best to leave it in the dark, and why??, just trying to learn :thumb:

Oh please share as much insight as you wish,
ive had to tie a couple of branches up myself as they were in danger of snapping if i didnt, similar to the way youve done yours. thx for taking the time to reply, i have arthiritis which i inherited from my dad whos had to have the last three fingers off on each hand, but here in the uk there is no medical marijuana so i have to be discreet, on the street you average pay £20 for about 1.5 gram of garbage so this is how i came to be here and yes it is fun, very rewarding and its one of them hobbies that you can still learn somthing new in 20 years time. i have to do from seed again next time but i will be taking cuttings off those and keeping a mother. i will put some pics up monday and for my very first grow i think ive done ok. My main mistake was the heating was to high 'used a mh 600w for veg then swiched to a hps dual spectrum 600w from the beginning of flowering to the end and it doubled in size. i will be investing in an intake fan for the next one. The rhino carbon filter is excellent no smell outside the tent at all, at first it was sucking my tent inwards until i opened some vents built in the tent, also need 2 new fans as the ones i have are tired to say the least. Some of the top fan leaves and top leaf have curled up a bit but that will never happen again due to excesive heat.

Thanks again, very much appreciated, farmerbarny Be Happy be Nice and be Kind!!!! :thanks:

think i'll put some of my pics in order :cheer:
:420: does rock!!!!!!

hey farmer...
definately do NOT hang/dry buds in veg or bud tent...the heat can/will produce mould...
a cool DARK and DRY place is optimal for initial drying 4-5 days as mentioned, then the brown paper bags (brown paper is preferred because there was no bleach used in making the bag and it draws out moisture nicely))
then...after 3-5 days in the bags, they should be ready for curing in jars!

Yup...nothing like a first crop! ...just gonna make ya wanna do more...heh heh heh!

I never heard of 'slitting' the stems...i cant see the logic there...so, the info i pass along is learned, tried and tested personal experience. i like it simple too...
but it sounds like you have the fundamentals down...good for you!

i totally understand about the arthritis...i have osteo arthritis as well...so i DO empthasize with ya my friend.

Looking forward to your pics!

I want to harvest early

I want to harvest early

I would STRONGLY advise against trying to harvest early...or too soon...
IF...ya just want to try your stuff...may i suggest clipping a couple LOWER branches (with smaller buds)...this way, the bigger buds and colas (tops) will finish flowering/budding...and you caan taste what ya got!

Also...i humbly suggest you read this entire thread as it WILL give you AWESOME and CLEAR 'how to's' on flowering/budding...and harvesting. Actually, this entire website can help you with all you need to know!

I have met several VERY learned pro's on grows here!

wishing you success :goodjob:

You have used the word "CBN" where you I guess you meant "CBD".

The plant's two major psychoactive ingredients are THC and CBD, but CBN is simply broken down cannabinoids.

I know CBN is psychoactive too, but it's NOT something you want much of.

CBN is constantly created when in contact with air, so during drying and curing it forms.
CBD is only created when the plant is alive, and is seen as important to the medical users. Most strains have very little CBD.

This is how cannabinoids form, as you see CBN is at the end.

Does anyone have a picture of some cured white widow.Would love to see what she looks like done

Heres a pic of some of my last WW x NL..Soz its a harvest pic, my dried pics arent loaded.. But hope u like this one..
2012-05-22_17_15_28.jpg

You have used the word "CBN" where you I guess you meant "CBD".

The plant's two major psychoactive ingredients are THC and CBD, but CBN is simply broken down cannabinoids.

I know CBN is psychoactive too, but it's NOT something you want much of.

CBN is constantly created when in contact with air, so during drying and curing it forms.
CBD is only created when the plant is alive, and is seen as important to the medical users. Most strains have very little CBD.

This is how cannabinoids form, as you see CBN is at the end.

hey grow...
yeah, i meant CBD...and thanks for your input....however...i have read on this site that, yes, cannabis contains THC, CBD, etc...but i also read here, where indicas are inherantly CBD dominant; whereas it has THC, as the buds hit "the window" for harvest, early in the window maintains the THC contant (head buzz) and as the window gets to the end, THC turns into CBD (body affect) which IS desired by patients for pain relief.

AND...my 2 MS patients, 2 cancer patients and a close friend w/degenerative disc's and scoliosis...SWEAR by the pain relief my grow has given them. Furthermore, my own pain for post-cancer treatments, damage from the cancer tumor AND osteoarthritis issues...i recieve awesome pain relief...so much so that i no longer need vicodin (7.5/500 tabs) 4 x daily! and i golf 2-3 times a week! My friend who USED to have to use fentinol patches AND vicodin just to TRY to golf, can either eat 1 budder-cookie OR take a few hits of my indicas....and he can enjoy 18 holes virtually w/o pain!

lol...the THC left is just a pleasant side affect...

SO....i must be doing something right

But thanks again for your info! :peace:

hey grow...
yeah, i meant CBD...and thanks for your input....however...i have read on this site that, yes, cannabis contains THC, CBD, etc...but i also read here, where indicas are inherantly CBD dominant; whereas it has THC, as the buds hit "the window" for harvest, early in the window maintains the THC contant (head buzz) and as the window gets to the end, THC turns into CBD (body affect) which IS desired by patients for pain relief.

AND...my 2 MS patients, 2 cancer patients and a close friend w/degenerative disc's and scoliosis...SWEAR by the pain relief my grow has given them. Furthermore, my own pain for post-cancer treatments, damage from the cancer tumor AND osteoarthritis issues...i recieve awesome pain relief...so much so that i no longer need vicodin (7.5/500 tabs) 4 x daily! and i golf 2-3 times a week! My friend who USED to have to use fentinol patches AND vicodin just to TRY to golf, can either eat 1 budder-cookie OR take a few hits of my indicas....and he can enjoy 18 holes virtually w/o pain!

lol...the THC left is just a pleasant side affect...

SO....i must be doing something right

But thanks again for your info! :peace:

And i stand corrected! lol...i knew what i was tryin to say...just typed it whilst stoned! thanks dude! :peace:

yes my ballast gets REALLY hot and if you put an envelope on it would burn in no time at
all. I have quick dried a bit to try in micoewave ( wrap in papper and do for 6 seconds at a time ONLY for about 3 mins in total max then it should be smokable but not taste good.) or wrap in paper and place on a tray in a very low oven for maybe an hour and that should be okay to try. Very good article which taught me a lot and great pictures. This is a good site but I do get worried about posting on here as things seem to be heating up in UK now with legal side of growing again ! different governments seem to change their minds on it over here.

hey buddy,
listen, this is how i dried some of my buds, now they werent ready in 20 minutes ok, but - its worth waiting a couple hours for a nice tasting and feeling smoke! Think about it, would you rather wait a bit, like maybe you would for a friend to drop some off - or - try dry yours real fast, have a crap smoke thats harsh?? I put some smaller buds i chopped off on my clothes horse with some pegs, in front of my heater, DONT HAVE IT TOO CLOSE OR TOO HOT! About 3ft away and on low-medium heat, you dont want em to go all dry and crusty real quick, thats gunna be harsh, so just keep an eye on the buds by softly squeezing them, you ll notice when the outer parts start to feel crumbly, when theyre getting drier, but still have some bounce to them, place em on some paper on top of the heater and about 45- 1hr later itll be dry.. The whole process should take about 3hrs or so to dry, and it should be A GOOD SMOKE! Not harsh, and youll get a taste of the weed and a stone off it that youll enjoy:)
I know its a few hours but i just stuffed around the house and on ps2 and not long after was ready for me and we got baked:)
If you microwave or fast dry in like 10 minutes - you wont be happy..
Hope this helps, later mate. SMOKEM..

thanks so much great read for me as i,m a beginner and its time to chop down tonight ..i have auto flowers ,northern lights ,sweet bud ,low ryder , easy ryder and dutch passion ,theyre all growing 85 days now ...i mite have left them to long but they look as if they are ready ...well thanks again for the info guys great stuff........d.m.

Dang, I KNEW I should have given my first grow more time! Thank you soooo much for the info...have been learning beaucoup since joining!!

Thank you very much for this very helpful article. I'm getting better @ waiting, but have yet to get to amber...
ever the novice
bs

So what time of day do folks cut them down? I have heard that just before day break or just after day break or ???? Or does it even matter?? Thank you all.This is my 3 harvest and i too am having a good time with it. I usually just hang mine from a string till the branches snap then trim and put in open jars. After a few days i cap them off and watch for any dampness on the inside.if there is some I leave it open longer and keep on eye on them.So far so good.Everyone says I did good !!.I just turned 60 this summer and I NEVER thought I would live to leaglely grow my own(and even do well with it !) haha.so what time should I fall the forest !!! Red

lots of room for error here has i am a novice , but it is a very good article, i have 4 plants will harvest 2 early and 2 later , hopefully get a double hit!
should i be trimming all the fan leaves around my buds?

DSCF0008-crop.JPG
DSCF0004-crop1.JPG

I have done that a few times and it didn't seem to have a negitive effect. Now if you cut too many it might slow things down some.. In the "old days" haha the big fan leaves were called "sucker leaves" in that they sucked nutrents out and kept them from the buds and it was the norm to cut them away and was considered a good thing to do...... But now I read thats a bad thing to do...Sooooooo I think if you dropped a few leaves that are just around the buds you will be fine...So what do the "General Public" have to say about that??? Red Ps Good lookin crop !!!

Just before daybreak is the general advice. It is because marijuana just like other plants start to work their system when sun light strikes and this can contribute to lost THC. But how much THC is lost is actually the contention. Nobody knows for sure. So the debate goes...:Namaste:

Hey Sam,Thanks for the imput. Thats what I will do,Drop them first sign of daylight....I have been waiting for the tricromes to brown up but that seems to be takin for ever...sooooo i will give them a week more and then see whats up..So thanks for all the advice...Red

I think you will be ok triming fan leaves around the buds. I have removed whole branches and the plant seemed to do fine.I removed them as they had mold issues. Pot is a hardy plant by nature and i'm sure could survive some pruneing on your part.Now some will say "No Way" ,your messing with lite obsorbing issues....May be,may be ?? but how much harm would it do?? You hear alot about trimming,Time of day to harvest and u name it , but to tell you the truth.......i no know !!! haha Anyway i think you will be fine taking of some "sucker leaves" as we used to call them ..... from around the buds. Now ..Where do you cut the leaves ??? Even that is up for debate...Some say to cut close to the main stalk as that will lessin the chance of mold starting on the dead stem.... I have cut them a 1 1/4" from the stalk.it dried back and easly broke off... so .......i'm sure the strain has lots to do with it as well....ANYWAY ...sorry for ramblin along,But I'm a Ramblin kind a guy ..haha. So have fun with your garden ,don't sweat it too much and live and learn....about everything !!! By the way ...Good lookin plants...You do have a fan going in there ? Thats a must in my neighborhood anyway ..Happy Hemping ,Red Ps.I'd cut off the yellow ones just so it will look better overall,, haha,I do it..I used to worry about the yellow leaf here and there .i was told that u shouldn't worry about the older fan leaves and worry about the new growth.... man will this guy ever quit ???

Back
Top Bottom