What Brand Or Type of Cal/Mag Product Do You Use - And Why?

I haven't bought a Ca/Mg product for ages. I'm actually about to break down and do that. I'd been trying to save money for a while by just using Epsom salt for magnesium (and sulfur :rolleyes: ), and depending on the overabundance of calcium in my tap water for that thing. But, really, I see this as an imperfect solution (for a few reasons).

Most Ca/Mg products seem to have at least some nitrogen in them, don't they? I have never noticed a nitrogen deficiency in my plants, so I wouldn't think I need any more. I see a lot of signs of an overabundance of N in the photos that people post of their plants, so they probably don't need such a product (that contains nitrogen) either, IMHO.

I do have a good bit of calcium nitrate and epsom salt, lol. But, again, nitrogen.

I can't afford to use any source of water other than my tap water. Last time I checked it (admittedly, eight or so years ago :rolleyes: ), it was consistently reading in the 320 to 350 PPM range. And we generally have to run a pot of white vinegar through our coffeemakers monthly around here due to the buildup in them.

For nutrients, I have some old bottles of General Hydroponics three-part Flora series, some really old bottles of same, some old two-part nutrients (one grow, one bloom) that came from an ex-sponsor years ago and are likely past their prime, new (well, last year's stock recently obtained from a garden center and unopened) Foxfarm Trio (not the Grow Big Hydroponic, just the regular), and a bottle of Osmocote Plus pellets. Aside from those and the bag of Ca(NO₃)₂ I mentioned above, I also have a four-pound bag of earthworm castings. And that's about it, as far as I can remember. I don't have any fancy additives, and probably won't be purchasing any at this time (lack of money).

I will be growing in both "soil" (Foxfarm's Happy Frog and Ocean Forest) and hydroponics (passive hydro, either straight perlite or very nearly so).

I listed my collection of nutrients - and my growing medium - in case you've found that a certain product works very well (or badly) with any of those specific things.

Oh, and I'll be growing with a relatively small LED ("blurple") of 160 watts, and possibly adding my HPS at some point (if so, I'll probably keep it turned down to 250 watts both to minimize the heat production and because the electric bill is hard enough for me to pay even when I'm not growing a single plant (plus, my house only has 30-amp electrical service!). I have a more powerful LED, but I doubt I'll be adding it to this grow.

That's about all I can think of that even might be pertinent. But it's closer to dawn than bedtime here, so I'm a little foggy, lol.

Thanks in advance!

I use Botanicare Calmag. I add it as a base to all my water (rainwater) at around 150 ppm.
It's 2-0-0. Due to its N content I use this base as the basic grow nutrient for young seedlings.
The N content doesn't cause me problems. I use it to my advantage. All growth stages except the last stages of flowering do need it.

General Organics Calmag used to be 0-0-0. Not they seem to have bumped it up to 1-0-0. I use that one sometimes when I want less N.

I too use Cal/Magic from General Hydroponics, but I use Canna nutes in my coco grows.

Thank you all for responding. I have chosen NOT to use the "Like" function on your posts. To me, using that denotes that I agree with the content of same. I don't know enough to agree or disagree with them, lol. THIS is why I miss the old forum software's "Thanks" function. It could show appreciation (which definitely exists here!) for a post without inferring that I agree (either because I didn't, or - as in this case - because I have insufficient knowledge on a subject to have a strong opinion one way or the other).

I am hoping that even more people post their comments (even if it is only to agree with one of you).

It looks like I face the choice of having additional (unwanted) nitrogen/nitrates or of carbonates. If I could afford to, I'd buy a bottle from each category, for using at different times during the grow/flower cycles. But this will be a one-shot purchase.

I think my water is already too full of carbonates.

At present, and in general, I am leaning towards a nitrate Ca/Mg product. I can use the "flowering components" of my multi-part nutrients to help compensate for the additional nitrogen, even in the grow phase if need be. And carbonates are harder for plants to use, and can cause nutrient lockout issues. I will have the ability to monitor pH this time. And "PPM"/EC, too, it looks like. Which is nice; I thought I was going to have to hunt down my digital volt-ohm meter, calculator, and tape measure in order to monitor EC/PPM, lol. I haven't done that since high school science class.

I just realized that if I had some chelated iron (iron EDTA) handy, I could make this stuff by the 55-gallon drum, lol. I think I have enough calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate already.

Hmm. . . .

Back
Top Bottom