What bug killing routines do backyard growers use

Lusi

Hi,

I'm getting ready to move, so my plants will be outside in 10 gal pots and under insect screens this summer. Still, bugs get in and I need a good insect killing routine to prevent them in the first place. I spent last summer chasing caterpillars, several kinds of them. So far, something is burrowing into the roots. It's a bit late to prevent those, but the rest of the insect hordes?

Can every one share their routine? What sprays and mix, what bugs they target, how frequently it's done as maintenance, and warnings like not used in gloom or wear a mask. other things, like if someone always adds soap or neem to the water. I was wondering about rosemary oil in the water with soap.?!

Thanks!

Re: What bug killing routines do backyard growers use??

I have used Avid 0.15 EC w/great success, I use long gloves and face mask when spraying!

There is a site sponsor... SNS 217 I think it is, lots of peeps here have used it but I don't have experience w/that so yeah... avid for bugs!

Also... it depends on if you are going organic or not!

Does Avid kill more than mites? Do you wait until you see bugs, or spray on a timed routine? How late in the grow cycle do you use it? Is this affordable compared to other options you've tried?

Ah...too many questions, sorry? I'm excited that there will room to grow whatever I want in a few weeks when I move. Whatever ways there are to help repel bugs as I set up flower beds are what I need. The caterpillars are already at work in this garden, so I need some to kill every single bug onnevery potted plant as I move them all to a new location. I could slap up a new post here each night of questions. It's what other people do or dream of doing that I need, not general info in books and sticky threads.

I forgot to ask this question... What bug control methods are available for outside? Is it possible, worthwhile or affordable to use pesticides in a drench? Pyrethrum seems available in several forms. I've been wondering if using a bit up soap or herbs in every watering would help repel bugs. Would it? Could I use my yard fogger to cover the edible and mj plants in a permethrin and pyrethrum mix, or other insecticides that are safe for edibles? Is there any use for a hose sprayer. They don't make sense to me, how the dilution could be controlled. Is there any bug spray that is systemic, but safe on edibles? What do you folks do when the plant is in bloom and getting pests. What's your favorite beg sprays while in bloom?

I hope to go organic. For now, it's beat the bugs any way possible. I use Aza all last summer, my first grow. The caterpillars laughed at it, as did the moths and other flying pests. Spider mites came late and neem didn't get them all. My buds tasted like gasoline. Any concentrates made from these are equally horrid, even HO! Neem also has down nothing to prevent mites inside. The fungus gnats thrive despite drenches and soil sprays indoors. I used it while living in Europe, as it was the strongest spray available in my area. Neem was completely useless on aphids, white flies, earwigs, ants, and whatever mystery bugs where chomping on my tomatoes. The aphids and white flies developed resistance, as did the red beetles. It also didn't work on mold or fungus. I ended up letting the garden go after 3 years of cold pressed neem and tea tree oil as bug killer. It was a shock to learn popular neem is in the US, and expensive plus just as useless and the EU brand. I'll try anything, even the neem I have left over.

If anyone has any organic sprays that actually work, LMK. I'd like to create a huge medicinal herb garden so I can make essential oils with a still. Still unsure of MJ can be processed like this.... For now, I have two pure oil vials; one tea tree and the other rosemary. Is there any herb I can water with for systemic killing?

Thanks for the input. Ill see what it kills try the avid I have left on a plant outside. TY!

I can only advise on what my experience has been...

I have never had any bug probs, that's why I use Avid, one time spray earlier than not (before the bugs are visible) works for me!

However... I do keep a couple 3 or so different things around because I believe in being prepared... also, bugs tend to get immune sometimes if you are only using one kind of miticide/insecticide.

Hope that gets you going in the right direction... I am sure someone else would be able to answer your other questions... peace out!

Cool! I didn't know it was good for other pests. I'll give it a try! I have bagworms and cabbage loopers on a tree. That ought to give it a challenge. :)) forgot to ask... What does EV stand for? I need to look it up from your other post...

Forgot to say earlier... I always add a drop or two of dish soap to act as a spreader for the chem.

The EC (I'm pretty sure) stands for extra concentrate... you only use a quarter tsp per Gal. of H20... spray the plants really good making sure to get the underside of the leafs. If they are in a pot, this is easily done!
In about a week hit them again and you should be good to go normally~

Also, even though Avid is a systemic chem compound, it leaves the plant system after a time... I don't have the data on that time line in front of me but... that's good to know if you are looking to produce organic meds.

Re: What bug killing routines do backyard growers use??

I grow with organics. How bout that, cause I have a serious "Knat" issue that hasn't gone away. Tried paper over the bucket, plastic. 3-way miticide/pesticide/fungicide and that did nothing but kill em on the spot. How bout it. organic pest control?
I have used Avid 0.15 EC w/great success, I use long gloves and face mask when spraying!

There is a site sponsor... SNS 217 I think it is, lots of peeps here have used it but I don't have experience w/that so yeah... avid for bugs!

Also... it depends on if you are going organic or not!

Someone told me Avid can't be given in bloom as it stays in the plant too long and is toxic to use on edible plants. For that and the insane price, this and Floramite are last resorts to many people I ask. I've gotten a cold shoulder on an organic forum when I said I used it 2 weeks before 12/12. Oh well, not a great forum. Lol it also seems outdoor growers and large growers rely on Avid for mites. They can't exactly spray the underside of every single leaf for so many plants! This is where my books aggravate me, what do people Really use?!? EC, good to know. I don't know which strength I have, as I bought a tiny vial, 3.5oz which he said makes a gallon. I used half that instead. What is the mix of your EC version. Do you spray it only after you have seen bugs, or to Prevent them? What do you switch to when they get tolerant to Avid? It's good to know you use only this one thing, and it gets all the bugs... Except gnats. Lol the price sucks, but one spray for all means less work and eventually pay off. The outdoor season is longer, making this pretty darn safe during veg, at least IMO. :peacetwo:

I'd like to find a good routine before the bugs are in, all bugs. Like, every week spray pyrethrum and alternate with neem or something else.... I just used these as an example, not because that is a real routine. Is coco wet any better than dish soap or the same? (already have both) I add a drop of dish soap to bug sprays too, but don't know how much is best, or if it matters. I was wondering if adding soap To my watering could be useful.... For those dang gnats. Would it help or grow soapy weed? Lol

Lynx, do you get those gnats outside too? I'm reading the 3 way spray wrong.... It did or did not kill them? What was it? Crap, I hate gnats and was hoping tossing the plants out in the hot sun would remedy this. Mites were easier to kill! One book says fungus gnats are microscopic and difficult to see with the naked eye. My gnats are in swarms on top of the soil and pots, everything else sounds like fungus gnats. No maggots in the run off water, but they could be in the rooots making those holes. G2K about the pot covers, saves me that. My organic pyrethrum sprays say they kill them. Nope, they bathe in it. One plant I tossed had holes burrowed in the roots, a first for me. Roots Organic soil came with the critters a fee months back. LMK what you end up with. I'd like to know what kills these bastards as the avid and Floramite also did not kill them, just my mites. I'd hoped Avid would get the soil pests since it's systemic. You know what, I'll try Bayer Imachlorid on one plant too, the pills you push into the soul. It lasts one to two months and is systemic and of course not for edibles. I used these in Europe and they kept aphids and whiteflies down. A few more killers to try and I can have a Contest! :)

Tomorrow, the plants get a drench of neem and soap with cinnamon oil I just bought. Neem spray on every surface didnt do much, hope it's better in the soil. That's the best organic control my books have, cinnamon oil. I'll toss in garlic, rosemary, and tea tree oil just in case they help. Perhaps tabasco too? Does ground up see shells really work? Snails, OK, but this and sand on the soil surface it claims works. Sounds like BS to me. I'll try the sand on one plant to compare. Good to know about the organicThe bugs are on pot bottoms and trays too. They tap dance on the Home Defense spray I coated all my pot exteriors and trays with. Does nothing, let alone last 6 months. If those fail, then I have a pyrethrum bomb. Pyrethrum is organic but.... Bomb? expensive for chrysanthemums. Hey, is planting mums in your containers with MJ of any help? How about garlic, marigold, and rosemary plants?

All my plants are covered in insect fabric that is even mite proof. A bit of tangle foot on a strip of tape on the pot and cage have kept crawlers out. The gnats aren't visible, but i'm checking more carefully tomorrow! No signs of any bugs on the one under screen or the ones under netting. It's my best solution while I figure out bug sprays and move again. I'll put this in my journal eventually with results. Does this plan have any hope of fending off bugs? I have some 48" high hoops to cover with netting once I have a place to live.LMK! Darn it, the new pics are on the computer. This is the 1st test plant with insect netting.

May2011_WSoutside.jpg

Thanks for the advice Kronic. Avid can't be legally bought in CA stores, something about greenhouses? WTF? I need to check on what it kills and price per gallon mixed.

that was just to long for me to read this early, but fly strips, simple dollar store fly-strips... the 3-way fungicide works, as a on-the-spot killer. It's just a local garden brand killer, but rose bug-off works. The delicateness of a rose is similar to the cannabis' needs from what I've learned so far pests need an assortment of pesticides, especially the organics. I grow in organics, and the gnats love the moisture. IDK what state you're in, but in NY you'd be worse off if you put em' outside infested, they'd get worse.So far for me, the most beneficial has been paper around the pot and fly-strips either cut and taped to the pots, or in-tacked to the ceiling has been the best for me. My garden is an indoor, outdoor garden. I have a sh*tty house, and my closet is still in the skeleton phase of construction, lol. But I'd suggest concealing more of you're plants bottom, and top. Even if you're outdoors, you should still build your grow chamber to completely conceal your girls from the atmosphere's predator's.

Someone told me Avid can't be given in bloom as it stays in the plant too long and is toxic to use on edible plants. For that and the insane price, this and Floramite are last resorts to many people I ask. I've gotten a cold shoulder on an organic forum when I said I used it 2 weeks before 12/12. Oh well, not a great forum. Lol it also seems outdoor growers and large growers rely on Avid for mites. They can't exactly spray the underside of every single leaf for so many plants! This is where my books aggravate me, what do people Really use?!? EC, good to know. I don't know which strength I have, as I bought a tiny vial, 3.5oz which he said makes a gallon. I used half that instead. What is the mix of your EC version. Do you spray it only after you have seen bugs, or to Prevent them? What do you switch to when they get tolerant to Avid? It's good to know you use only this one thing, and it gets all the bugs... Except gnats. Lol the price sucks, but one spray for all means less work and eventually pay off. The outdoor season is longer, making this pretty darn safe during veg, at least IMO. :peacetwo:

I'd like to find a good routine before the bugs are in, all bugs. Like, every week spray pyrethrum and alternate with neem or something else.... I just used these as an example, not because that is a real routine. Is coco wet any better than dish soap or the same? (already have both) I add a drop of dish soap to bug sprays too, but don't know how much is best, or if it matters. I was wondering if adding soap To my watering could be useful.... For those dang gnats. Would it help or grow soapy weed? Lol

Lynx, do you get those gnats outside too? I'm reading the 3 way spray wrong.... It did or did not kill them? What was it? Crap, I hate gnats and was hoping tossing the plants out in the hot sun would remedy this. Mites were easier to kill! One book says fungus gnats are microscopic and difficult to see with the naked eye. My gnats are in swarms on top of the soil and pots, everything else sounds like fungus gnats. No maggots in the run off water, but they could be in the rooots making those holes. G2K about the pot covers, saves me that. My organic pyrethrum sprays say they kill them. Nope, they bathe in it. One plant I tossed had holes burrowed in the roots, a first for me. Roots Organic soil came with the critters a fee months back. LMK what you end up with. I'd like to know what kills these bastards as the avid and Floramite also did not kill them, just my mites. I'd hoped Avid would get the soil pests since it's systemic. You know what, I'll try Bayer Imachlorid on one plant too, the pills you push into the soul. It lasts one to two months and is systemic and of course not for edibles. I used these in Europe and they kept aphids and whiteflies down. A few more killers to try and I can have a Contest! :)

Tomorrow, the plants get a drench of neem and soap with cinnamon oil I just bought. Neem spray on every surface didnt do much, hope it's better in the soil. That's the best organic control my books have, cinnamon oil. I'll toss in garlic, rosemary, and tea tree oil just in case they help. Perhaps tabasco too? Does ground up see shells really work? Snails, OK, but this and sand on the soil surface it claims works. Sounds like BS to me. I'll try the sand on one plant to compare. Good to know about the organicThe bugs are on pot bottoms and trays too. They tap dance on the Home Defense spray I coated all my pot exteriors and trays with. Does nothing, let alone last 6 months. If those fail, then I have a pyrethrum bomb. Pyrethrum is organic but.... Bomb? expensive for chrysanthemums. Hey, is planting mums in your containers with MJ of any help? How about garlic, marigold, and rosemary plants?

All my plants are covered in insect fabric that is even mite proof. A bit of tangle foot on a strip of tape on the pot and cage have kept crawlers out. The gnats aren't visible, but i'm checking more carefully tomorrow! No signs of any bugs on the one under screen or the ones under netting. It's my best solution while I figure out bug sprays and move again. I'll put this in my journal eventually with results. Does this plan have any hope of fending off bugs? I have some 48" high hoops to cover with netting once I have a place to live.LMK! Darn it, the new pics are on the computer. This is the 1st test plant with insect netting.

May2011_WSoutside.jpg

Thanks for the advice Kronic. Avid can't be legally bought in CA stores, something about greenhouses? WTF? I need to check on what it kills and price per gallon mixed.

OH, and this maybe a bit of a shocker, in more ways then one, but take and rinse your roots off... Completely. Take em from in the medium you use, and shock rinse em', it's something greenhouses do in cases of poisoning or nutrient burn of extreme nature. Also if they are outside, a simple "OFF" brand product, ie. citron el candles, or bug zappers in the soil area of your plant... Remember stages of defense prevents any onslaught!!! Burn a basic smokey candle, non-perfumed... Just keep in mind what bugs don't like about us as people.:Namaste:

May2011_WSoutside.jpg

The active ingredient in Avid is abamectin... It does not bioacumulate. It is used extensively on hops... abamectin is not truly systemic.
It is absorbed from the exterior of foliage to other leaf parts, especially young leaves, in the process of translaminar activity.

No matter what you use for pesticide/miticide, it's always best to switch up every 3 applications to something w/a different mode of attack, that way the lil bastards don't become immune to it!

Thanks guys, so me good plans. I already have no pest and sticky traps all over. They catch, but don't control this mess. I wish i'd read the rinse roots part earlier! I just jumped all the gnat infested soil. Out, tapped as much from the roots as possible, then plopped all 3 once healthy plants in 1 gallons into one 3 gallon bag and braided them together. Bonsai pot will at least look interesting. This is my 3rd try with this, out of sheer curiosity and way to salvage smaller weaker plants. I have one with three tiny weak strains together. Only 5 of the plants are healthy enough to stand alone.:-( shitty soil full of pests is destructive!

I haven't watered these yet and was hoping there was some ideas of what to put in the water and what amount. The soil is full of nutes, but the plants are not absorbing them with such rotten roots. Well here's the plan...

Gallon of water, 3 Tbl vodka (ran out of alcohol), fresh lemon juice, garlic oil and tea, 3 drops dawn per gallon, 20ml cold pressed neem, cinnamon and rosemary oil(can't find amounts for any of these herb oils! They are tiny and expensive), tea with mint, cloves, coriander. Since critters think we stink, Id add tea tree and lavender, but can't find info if these are useful.now, to get all this done and those plants under netting before sunset. If all this fails, they get Avid. If that many people religiously use this, it's good enough for me! tY Kronic! Oh, sand on top is my last layer before netting.

How do you guys feel about using a systemic like Bayer Imachlorid, that is not meant for edibles but wears off after 2 months?

Lynx, are you in upstate NY?mg eve us, but humid with a short season. It's not a surprise to me that you have to juggle and indoor/ outdoor mix. When I lived in MA, I had to start all Garden flowers and veggies inside (didn't use MJ then) inside way before or they'd never mature before the cold weather and low sun returned. It's easy to see how fungus gnats and most bugs thrive more in that climate. In the CA sun, it's easy to bake any expose soil surface a kill the, off outside. Since it's unusually cold, I'm going with precaution and assume bugs R there. :). Ah, forgot.... I have to move them outside because of the heat. Neither house has functioning AC, and even CFLs were too hot in the overworked AC last summer. I almost decided to,never grow indoors because of this.

tY for so much advice! I have another possibility i'd like to run by. Is there any insecticide made for garden pests that I can use in my fogger? It seems that fog is very effective on the Mosquitos!

Back to mixology mess... The new house is over run with pests so i have to put a post up for them. All these rodent varieties concern me as they chew through everything. I just want to move my garden over there and get the drip going. :-(

"...Lynx, are you in upstate NY?mg eve us, but humid with a short season. It's not a surprise to me that you have to juggle and indoor/ outdoor mix. When I lived in MA, I had to start all Garden flowers and veggies inside (didn't use MJ then) inside way before or they'd never mature before the cold weather and low sun returned. It's easy to see how fungus gnats and most bugs thrive more in that climate. In the CA sun, it's easy to bake any expose soil surface a kill the, off outside. Since it's unusually cold, I'm going with precaution and assume bugs R there. :). Ah, forgot.... I have to move them outside because of the heat. Neither house has functioning AC, and even CFLs were too hot in the overworked AC last summer. I almost decided to,never grow indoors because of this.

tY for so much advice! I have another possibility i'd like to run by. Is there any insecticide made for garden pests that I can use in my fogger? It seems that fog is very effective on the Mosquitos!..."

I have used those bracelets, and uuuuummmm a bottle of spray of 'OFF' in my humidifier before... never with Cannabis, but in other gardening. Yea our weather sux, I wanna move! Wife & I are looking into AZ, NM, or Sacramento(her fave)... I was wondering where did you get the mesh netting? Is it just "Mesh" silk curtains? I wanna start putting my girls outside but can't find that at any hardware or garden supply stores at all....

Man, I'd give anything to get to WA, OR, CO, or MT... not here!!!! The people born here have had enough of this econo and prices and are fleeing north to Oregon for good reason! While AZ and NM are way different in climate than NorCal, especially Sac area, they are cheaper and the people seem more friendly. My relatives love AZ, last in CT before. If you love culture and socializing, the Bay Area is sure the right place, but Sac itself??. From what I hear and see, San Jose and Santa Rosa are great places to live in the Sac area, affordable with less heat, more rain, and pro MMJ. :) Hope that helps... My new house would cost 40% less if in that area, much much less in NY. lol As they say, great place to visit.

This is my first time experimenting with netting. So far, I'm happy with the two test versions I've made so far. The one hanging was a simple $10 mosquito netting. It's getting trashed, but was not needed for anything else. If I go with this kind of screening to cover hoops or an arbor, I'd look at Tulle (Jo-ann fabrics) as a cheap, lightweight, and more durable option. For this, my goal was to keep out butterflies and moths that lay eggs and horrid caterpillars faster than I kill them. Any other bugs it deters, great! They can crawl right under the netting since it's a temporary thing, but a line of Home Defense Spray seems to keep them out, so far. When my morning glories start showing chewed leaves, than I'll know how much this is actually helping.

Now the fabric covering the tomato and mesh cages is from online, Gardeners.com or something similar. (will look this up and get pics for you) It's called Insect netting and lets NOTHINg in. It is giving some shade too, but lets in little airflow. I need to also raise the cages off the ground and support them with the pot. For now, bugs could crawl between netting and pot, if they avoid the tangle-foot on the pot. I bought this insect netting and huge 4' high rise hoops from Gardeners to use together, but the move made it impossible to get a garden up in time. Once I figure out eh mole, roof rat, deer, and mole problems, I'll throw up a raised bed with these hoops and insect netting. No bugs can get in that method, but heat might be a problem. :) This is just a lightweight fabric, like batting. Water doesn't seem to harm it and it will let water in. It's very cheap, under $2 for 50 feet, but will not last more than a season. It's been OK up to 80 degrees and is worth a try. If nothing, this is great to start any plants outside earlier and get them strong and healthy before letting the bugs in. I have used this to seal the top of my aquarium from gnats outside. I have some clones in it, and it's 10 degrees hotter in there...

If my journal is ever updated and finished, this will all be in there. The new house is a time hogger, so I'll start another journal up at the new location... eventually. If you get any cool ideas with netting let me know. I'm completely making this idea up as I think of it; seemed logical to try out. A greenhouse seem a poor investment for my new house in the heat.... but a hoop house that can do plastic and screens could be easily done, if it works. By the end of the season, I'll know more.

GL!

BTW, the foul smelling herbs, neem and new soil scared the gnats off a bit. They are under the mosquito net until I make make a few more tomato cages. I highly doubt it will last. I need cinnamon oil in cheaper bulk to get the smell to have enough kick to terrorize gnats. Perhaps a few Altoids scattered about. (Now THAT would be funny!!) hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :) :peace:

FIRE JOLLY RANCHERS ! :idea: LOL!!!

I’m a big fan of Pyola from Gardens Alive, it is a pyrethrum/oil mix in concentrate. In the vegetable garden it can be sprayed day of harvest and I’ve never had an issue in the other garden. Used it for termites: mix the strong batch and soak the stem as it enters the ground then a good 6” circle around it. Basic pest management: normal mix and give a good through spraying in late spring when I see pests. It sticks to everything nicely and will last for a rain or two. Only thing I have not tried it on is those caterpillars that burrow into the sticky buds come October. I hand pick those because I don’t really want to have any oily residue on the finished buds. I have yet to encounter a bug that it did not eventually kill. Some, like the squash or stink bugs take a few hours for it to kill them but kill them it does. Death by a thousand cuts!

I’ve had a big termite problem this year and will be mixing in diatomaceous earth next year. With lots of rain I think the Pyola is getting diluted fast and not doing its job. I’m meeting with my local garden store guru tonight to check out some other termite control methods. I can’t imagine what his father thinks (his dad owns the nursery), I’m always having issues with my green peppers! I like the thought of cinnamon or rosemary oil but think it might attract the neighbor’s attention. On the other hand it might mask the bud-ly odor for those last few weeks.

OT, PLZ help our veterans! Deadline 25Oct for signatures.

Dangit, is there anyway that o can view any of my threads that have new replies? I have missed this one and many more, sorry!

WW, I will checkmout pyola this spring. I tried Panigic, or ST like than is an ultra strong dose of pyrethrum. It didn't work for mites.mmy screens at least kept out the butterflies and caterpillars!

OK, I know this is off topic, but I will put it in as many threads i've started, as I can. We have 3 days left to get the last 800 signatures on the Whitehouse petition to allow medical Cannabis for all veterans with PTSD, not just the ones in med states. This is a safe and reliable source, you just need to set up an email and account and sign away, then pass it on. I've received no spam or crap from this. If you are a veteran and don't know of the VMCA or Michael Krawitz who is the man responsible for getting the VA to let vets in med states use MMJ and not lose benefits, then check this website out at the bottom.

Our troops need your help, whether you agree with the war or not. Many of these poor soldiers are disposable and being medically boarded out with no awareness that they have rights and there is help out there. Please, help them. We can't know what they see and relive each time they close their eyes, but we CAN help get them the only treatment that works, Medical Cannabis.

Thank you for your support!

Only 862 more signatures needed for Veterans medical marijuana petition.

Please assist Veterans For Medical Cannabis Access in reaching our
goal of 5000 signatures by 25 October. Time is quickly running out!

We already have 4,138 signatures and are only 862 short of our goal.

Once we have reached our goal this petition will automatically be sent
to the White House for an obligatory answer and we will be using this
to kick off a series of actions designed to bring negative attention to
the recent federal escalation against medical marijuana. Your help is
a significant piece of that puzzle. We need you to sign and get as
many others to sign as possible.

As the leader of Veterans For Medical Cannabis
Access [VMCA] I helped the VA create a medical marijuana policy that
respects the rights of disabled Veterans using this important
medicine per state
laws. That policy has been made to look like a cruel joke given the latest
actions of this presidential administration.

In response to the actions of the president our
organization has crafted a petition that we have placed on the new White House

"Allow United States Disabled Military Veterans access to medical marijuana."

The fact that a Veteran in New Mexico can use cannabis legally for PTSd but
a similar Veteran in Florida will not only face arrest by state
police for using
the same medicine but face punishment at the VA
hospital as well is wrong. It is illogical. It is not the practice
of medicine it
is the practice of politics on the wounded and it is shameful and it must end.

Michael Krawitz is a Disabled United States Air Force Sergeant
and Executive Director of Veterans For Medical Cannabis Access.

><><

Veterans For Medical Cannabis Access
3551 Flatwoods Road - Elliston, Virginia 24087 -- 540-365-2141 --
"Michael" <<mailto:miguet@infionline.net>miguet@infionline .n et>

Back
Top Bottom