What caused this?

CO4204ME

Durban Poison, 7 weeks into flowering, using an ebb & flow system, the only one of nine in the tray to do it, dead center of the light.

Under a 1000w HPS
PH kept at 6.0
High temperature never over 81F

Any ideas? As if the leaves weren't crazy enough, the bud itself went albino. It's healthy otherwise and still growing.

:welcome: to 420

Sorry to hear about your problem my fellow grower.
I dont know what your problem would be, I grow with soil. Um What's the ph and all that other info that is needed to know when growing with a system like that. You said it went albino, is that because crystal's formed and covering the buds or did the buds really turn white. I have seen herbs look white but their really just covered with frosted flakes....lol

Your photo is really small and I'm kinda medicated right now, so my vision is not the best....

Some-one here will be able to help you out.. Trust me on that one..

The pistols are really a bright white on most cannabis plants, is nornal bro. Let her continue to flower over the next week and see if the crystals are turning amber. I would not worry about it to much..

looks like light bleaching! How close u got that 1000w

If the lights were to close the pistols would be burnt though right..{all dried up and crispy} That's what happened to my plant last year when I burned her main cola off. That's just my thoughts, not trying to be rude bro.

If I'm wrong please let me know...I'm still a rookie and trying to learn....lol

:welcome: to 420 mag bro! Good to have ya here....

here's a better pic of the bud

white_flower.jpg

Tops are about 1.5' from light (and not crispy at all). Didn't know a bulb could bleach the buds without killing them. I wonder how it'll smoke...

it definitly looks like Bud Bleaching to me. There's good and bad news. Good news is light-light bleaching isnt that bad. Some growers lightly bleach their plants(just to see the lowest they can drop their lights.) Bad news is bleached bud doesn't return green, and the problem can get worse. You're 7 weeks into flower, so you're almost done. You can try to gently tie them over, which honestly will be difficult cause at this point they arent very limber. But it doesn't look too too bad. Its gonna be a lil rough since you cant raise your hood, but I think you should be alright. What's your ventilation scheme like? What kind of hood are ya usin bro?

whats the temp at the canopy(at the top of the bud) 1000 watts 2` away seems close........

2 feet isn't too close bro. I've got a 1k watter less than 12" from the tops of my ladies right now;). No bleaching, and canopy temps stay under 80 degrees.You were close tho Diesel Farmer! Generally tho 16-18 inches is about the lowest a 1k can go. That can swing either way depending on ambient temps, and whether your ventilation is as efficient as possible.

Dro:reading420magazine:

May I ask a question. Not to speak out but what is light bleaching? I have never heard of it.

Damn I'm still a rookie...:smokin:

If a combination of lighting & intensity arent in your favor then having the lights too close destroys/bleaches the chlorophyl out of the affected area of the plant. And since chlorophyll gives plants their green color, the buds turn white. I don't think the tops will be smokable, but like I said some growers do this to get the bottoms to really fill in.

:peace:

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I cut in a week so I'm not too worried about em. Next crop I'll tie em down so they don't get so close to the light.

this to me is light bleaching but as well a zinc overload. Excess Zinc is extremely toxic and will cause rapid death. Excess zinc interferes with iron causing chlorosis from iron deficiency. Excess will cause sensitive plants to become chlorotic.

this to me is light bleaching but as well a zinc overload. Excess Zinc is extremely toxic and will cause rapid death. Excess zinc interferes with iron causing chlorosis from iron deficiency. Excess will cause sensitive plants to become chlorotic.

If it was Zinc overload as you put it, you'd not see the bleached bud as shown in the picture below!

white_flower.jpg

Perhaps something like the Super Spreader from Adjust A Wing or The Equalizer from Sunlight Supply would help on the next grow.

Basically, they eliminate the 'hot spot' directly below a HID bulb.

Might be worth looking into. Both are ~$28.

DD

Back
Top Bottom