What causes clones to stretch but not branch?

NVJAY775

I'm a newbie for sure. Just finished my first indoor grow with some help from a buddy that has some experience.

We took some clones from the 6 strains I initially picked up. Purple Haze, Jack Herer, Pineapple Chunk, Sour D, Space Bomb and Green Crack. They went into rock wool clone cubes, than after almost 6 weeks, went into small soil pots. (we were both super busy and the little girls didn't get transplanted on schedule)

We used my buddies clone gell, which he decided may have sat too long and may have got hot in storage.

Initially they were under a t5 about 15" above them, with a 1000W MH about 3" above that (running at 75%), but to the side by about 5'. Room is not completely sealed, but is closed in and clean and getting air pulled in via fan filter from within the room. 18/6 light schedule. Temp is 72-74F, humidity is 30% to 60% depending on weather.

Watering them initially with PH'd water for the first 3 weeks, then 1/4 nutes "GH".

After about 5 weeks we moved them to an outdoor room that had the same humidity, but a little higher temps. 74F to 78F. But less light on the same 18/6 schedule. The light was about 36" above the plants.

But they started to stretch and drop lower leaves in the house before the move. Also they're not branching out on the bottom at all. They basically gain height with new growth and shed lower leaves. But are still super small for their age. And they also have small leaves only near the main stem, but they're clustered and tight. These occur only between the lower dying growth and the new upper growth.

And in their defense they had and are still having a rough childhood lol... I feel for the little ones ya know. They also went through me messing up as a newbie with PM, small mite breakout and some thrips. Like said, I do feel for their rough upbringing lol. I tried haha!

So huge thanks in advance for any info you guys may have to offer up. I don't want to chuck them, but there's a few that are just not doing well at all.

I'll get some pics up in a bit.

Jay

Your lights are too little / too far away. That's what made them stretch.
With T-5's, I have them 1" - 2" away. With HPS, I keep it about 18" away.

Thanks man! That's kind of what I thought it was too, but wanted to ask some people that really know.

Thanks again and enjoy the day!

I agree with Major PITA, also a big factor in inter-nodal lengths is the difference between your daytime temperature and nighttime. I read recentely, it's optimal to not exceed a difference of 10 degrees F. Making sure your seeds are well germinated (they have a nice long enough root sticking out) to then be planted will give it a kick start.

I hope this helps :thumb:

Revised :

Sounds like a root problem. Did you know your roots are vulnerable for disease at around 80*F? Also, there is nothing wrong with humidity but it's important to have consistency. You could always increase humidity, but when you drop from say 60%-30%, it shocks the roots and kills all the little root hairs.

I'd start my research around the roots, and humidity. I use T5's myself, they're quite forgiving and easy-going. I don't think the lighting would have much to do at this stage with growth.

I'll be checking in :)
Best of luck!:goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom