What distance should I keep my LEDs from seedlings?

the duke

I have a 80x80x160cm grow tent with two lights inside that fit perfectly. I have a mars hydro 300 and 600 but the actual wattage is 140 and 265watts. I have two cookie Kush seeds and two og Kush seeds. They have sprouted perfectly but have slowed down significantly the last few days , im now on day 13-14 and they probably will die and i may have to start again. I have not been keeping optimal distances as everywhere i look suggests something different. They sprouted fine and seemed to be doing fine at first but one is dying and the rest haven't grown barely at all. It is a combination of poor light distance and an improper watering schedule i was misting them too much at first instead of properly watering.. The tent is in my room and i can only really mess around in there at night when i am in my room watching tv. I will re plant some more seeds and keep trying . I don't care how many times it takes me i will keep trying until i get what i want and reach my goals, i bought this to keep me busy as a hobby and so i can medicate my extreme severe authritis and sleeping/eating disorders.
please guys help me out. I joined this site for help from cool people not jerks. Don't be a dick to me for not knowing about something that i am trying to learn about. I have all equiptment needed i just need to ace the correct light distance and watering timetable. So from germination/seedling stage how many inches should i have ky plants from the 140watt and 265 watt. I am trying to figure out how to post pictures on this website x

Yeah man sweet deal I would maintain at about 30" to 12" and make sure to get a good soil mix for seedlings if you want just ammend regular soil with Perlitep to get a 50/50 mix soil to perlite.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

what distance should i keep my leds from seedlings

I think you will always be safe with LEDs at 24-36 inches to start. When I have seedlings I take the panels up as high as I can go. Then if they start to stretch I start lowering them a little each day.

Also what size pots are you starting your seedlings in? I grow mostly autoflowers and always start in a pot big enough to not have to transplant. But this makes it very easy to overwater unless you have a strict schedule to go by. If starting them off in small pots it's easier not to overwater. In big pots I start seedlings directly in the dirt and only give them 50 ml of plain distilled water every couple days for the first week. Then I double it each week until the root system is well established and she has 4 or 5 nodes. Then I use the normal water until runoff.

Before I stated doing this I killed more seedlings than I ever harvested. LOL But this has been a seed saver for me. BTW, I use Biobizz Light straight out of the bag, with no additional nutrients or amendments until the girls are 4 or 5 weeks old. Depending on the strain I only supplement Cal/Mag, about 100-200ppm until that time.

That's great dudes. I have been keeping too high at 30inches and not watering enough , i will try a couple more and bring down to 24-26 , one hasn't grown for a few days and other is stretching , germinating some more now going to put them in tomoro evening , i don't have biobizz soil but i got some of their nutes from my local hydro shop , veg and flower booster, also have blood and bone meal and kelp. Soil is regular all purpose compost with some nutrients and correct ph level. I think my pots are 7-10l and i don't really want to transplant , will the roots take significantly longer to grow if using same pot? I don't care how big they get or how much i yield as it is just for me because i live alone. I have afghan Kush Ryder autos in my draw that i ordered from the seedman website but i want to get the regular feminized seeds out of the way first and i can tamper with the others in the new year sometime. Thanks for help. Like i said i have those two leds in the tent. I have exhaust fan and carbon filtre , in fan, clip fan inside tent, temperature and humidity reader and soil ph /moisture meter. Just need to get ph up and down bottles from the amazon or garden centre. I think i have got pretty much everything i need , i just fucked up with the light being too high and not enough water. Thanks for help. I will take all advice seriously.

Can i keep them at 12 inches when they are seedlings to stop stretching or is that too close ?

I have never tried that close but mainly because I see very little stretching at 24-36 inches and have seen seedlings show signs of light stress by trying to go closer.

A lot is going to depend on the spectrum and strength of your panels and the genetics of the strain. For example I have a mars 300 watt and another 300 watt brand I cannot mention here and I can put the mars much closer than I can the other without any light stress.

I have gone closer than 12 with a seedling. Grew fast as hell but caused problems at the same time. 18-24 and you won't have much stretch. Some stretch is good right off the bat. I hate when my bottom leafs are always laying down in the soil.

Duke, welcome to 420! A lot of us are old farts who grew in the 70's legally and illegally. You won't get put down here for asking questions. No question is too dumb.

We WANT you to learn the basics, but even more important, that there is no one correct way to grow our favorite crop. Read, try new things, see what works for you in your climate, and within your budget. You can go really cheap like I do, or get all the best equipment, lighting, and nutes. You can start small and build up as time, space and funds allow.

Cannibus is a weed. It WILL adapt, altho some strains will work better for you than others.

I wish you great grows and good smoke and medicine! :circle-of-love:

Duke, welcome to 420! A lot of us are old farts who grew in the 70's legally and illegally. You won't get put down here for asking questions. No question is too dumb.

We WANT you to learn the basics, but even more important, that there is no one correct way to grow our favorite crop. Read, try new things, see what works for you in your climate, and within your budget. You can go really cheap like I do, or get all the best equipment, lighting, and nutes. You can start small and build up as time, space and funds allow.

Cannibus is a weed. It WILL adapt, altho some strains will work better for you than others.

I wish you great grows and good smoke and medicine! :circle-of-love:

I couldn't have said it better myself. Being one of those old farts from the 70s I have always liked how civil and helpful folks are here at 420. I grew monster 12-16 footers outside in Florida when I was a teenager using miracle grow and cow manure. Stopped growing and using for almost 30 years and imagine my surprise when I started back up last year and realized that art of growing had advanced much. Without the help of peeps here putting up with my questions I probably would have given up by now.

I would agree Canna seems to adapt to light well yet does require hardening off to light from a different source. An example; I use 70w 6500k cobs for veg and when I switch to flower ie 3000k 150 watts 1100 ppfd I must use dimmer. But If I start plants under the 3000k after 3 weeks I can hit them full blast @12 inches. But you're using monos so .... Still After 3 weeks those mars can be used very close to get max par from them. Good luck

Figured out problem, nothing to do with water or light. My in fan has been turned off the entire time. My exhaust fan has been plugged in and so has my clip on fan for inside the tent but all this time i have been scratching my head as to why the plants stopped growing for a while. I had my intake fan turned off thinking it was on and now with a fresh air current they are much better. Thanks everyone for all the tips though. I will post a picture using my mobile telephone once i figure out how to do it on my Nokia lumia. I cant see any options to upload a photograph. I have lowered my lights and have significantly increased the amount of water. A couple leaf tips on two plants have gone brownish but rest of plants seek green and healthy. I should probably add the biobizz nutrients i have now unless two weeks is far too early. My john innes young plant compost claims to have enough for the first 4 weeks. Then my all purpose re potting compost says it has enough to feed a plant for 5 weeks? Should i start now or start when i transplant ? Or should i stick to water and wait a month ? Plants are 2 weeks old they were planted on the 15th September and sprouted on the 16th.

Back
Top Bottom