What do I need to start growing Cannabis

jackminor

420 Member
Here is a checklist and a brief explanation of each item you need to start growing Cannabis at home. Once you’ve got these, you can grow weed, even if you’ve never done it before.

Cannabis Seeds
Obviously, for growing Marijuana, the most important item on your checklist is Cannabis seeds. Try to buy them from reputable vendors or seed banks.

Photoperiodic Cannabis seeds
Photoperiodic seeds may produce either male or female plants.
The Flowering stage in photoperiodic Cannabis plants starts when the lighting schedule changes from 18/6 to 12/12 hours of light/darkness. Outdoors, they will start flowering when the days grow shorter, usually in Autumn.

Feminized Cannabis Seeds
Feminized photoperiodic Cannabis seeds produce female plants that start the Flowering stage when the lighting schedule switches from 18/6 to 12/12 hours of light/darkness. Outdoors, they will start flowering when the days grow shorter, usually in Autumn.

A growing environment with light and airflow
Outdoor Cannabis crops growing in soil thrive under the sunlight, but what about indoor grows?
An indoor growing environment may be a bucket, a tent, a box, an entire room, you name it. You can grow weed in a small or big environment, but you’ll need light and airflow for your plants to thrive. Cannabis plants need artificial light to live indoors, and there are lots of options in the market.

Additionally, a Thermo-hygrometer, a combined thermometer/hygrometer, comes very useful for tracking temperature and humidity levels. They come in pocket size and will save you lots of trouble and time guessing if environmental conditions are optimal.

The best lights for growing Cannabis
First of all, we don’t recommend incandescent light bulbs for growing weed at any stage. Don’t waste your resources trying to grow with them.

Your plant needs light as soon as it pops out from the soil.

Cannabis seedlings are not yet able to process high-intensity light. Led lights or lower wattage lights are better for this stage. A cold (blue) spectrum light is better for this stage, as it promotes vegetative growth.

During the first week or two after the seed has sprouted, you can light your seedling with CFL lights. You can start the germination process and you won’t need potent growing lights yet. Don’t wait too long to get them because you’ll need them soon!

You forgot Autoflowering seeds! ;)

You will also need a good Nute regament. You may not need it in the begining but, you will as the plant matures. There are several on the market and knowing your medium is key to what nutes you would want to use.

And you should also have a PPM/EC meter!

Here is a checklist and a brief explanation of each item you need to start growing Cannabis at home. Once you’ve got these, you can grow weed, even if you’ve never done it before.

Cannabis Seeds
Obviously, for growing Marijuana, the most important item on your checklist is Cannabis seeds. Try to buy them from reputable vendors or seed banks.

The Flowering stage in photoperiodic Cannabis plants starts when the lighting schedule changes from 18/6 to 12/12 hours of light/darkness. Outdoors, they will start flowering when the days grow shorter, usually in Autumn.

Feminized Cannabis Seeds
Feminized photoperiodic Cannabis seeds produce female plants that start the Flowering stage when the lighting schedule switches from 18/6 to 12/12 hours of light/darkness. Outdoors, they will start flowering when the days grow shorter, usually in Autumn.

Outdoor Cannabis crops growing in soil thrive under the sunlight, but what about indoor grows?
An indoor growing environment may be a bucket, a tent, a box, an entire room, you name it. You can grow weed in a small or big environment, but you’ll need light and airflow for your plants to thrive. Cannabis plants need artificial light to live indoors, and there are lots of options in the market.

Additionally, a Thermo-hygrometer, a combined thermometer/hygrometer, comes very useful for tracking temperature and humidity levels. They come in pocket size and will save you lots of trouble and time guessing if environmental conditions are optimal.

First of all, we don’t recommend incandescent light bulbs for growing weed at any stage. Don’t waste your resources trying to grow with them.

Cannabis seedlings are not yet able to process high-intensity light. Led lights or lower wattage lights are better for this stage. A cold (blue) spectrum light is better for this stage, as it promotes vegetative growth.

During the first week or two after the seed has sprouted, you can light your seedling with CFL lights. You can start the germination process and you won’t need potent growing lights yet. Don’t wait too long to get them because you’ll need them soon!
Don't forget coco coir, perilite, bokashi and Frass & Dazzle. Hehe
Then smoke detectors and big fire extinguisher.
Check this thread.

Stay safe everyone.
Bill

Keep it simple.
Don’t think your going to grow great bud.
First few times you prob won’t.
So don’t waste loads of money until you know what your doing.

If it was me today I would buy a good light.
The easiest nutes I could find to apply.
Pick a medium and sick to it until I’m dialled in.
Also I would run autos so I didn’t need to worry about a tent if smell was not a issue.
Simple and cheap. :)
what are the tools or products is the best for begginer in growing marijuana seeds?

Keep it simple, dont overwhelm yourself with information overload. Keep notes and get a calendar so you know what you did and when you did it. Pick seeds to match your grow and are easy to grow (don't get eye-candy disease), pick your soil, pick your nutes get a light that will cover your area. You don't need all the meters or fancy high dollar lights. The first thing you need is hands on experience. Get your first grow out of the way then start tweaking your setup with better equipment, better monitoring products. If you overwhelm yourself and overwhelm your starting budget you will find yourself playing catch up and spending more time being confused than instead of enjoying what you are doing and increasing your knowledge. Learn and Enjoy first by keeping it simple then increase your techniques with each and every grow. AND hang out on the forums and ask questions. No shortage of people that will help. By the second or third grow you'll be growing healthy and abundant harvests and beautiful buds that will rival some of the best seen on the forums.

Ok awesome checklist...for an experienced grower... But how about a budget grower? I'll use myself as an example. I didn't/do not have most of what is mentioned on the list as must haves to start... And my lady is doing well, not to say with the extra products and equipment that things wouldn't go better but just saying it is not really necessary and to be honest when I was first told here what I should get.... it became a little overwhelming looking for the products and then watching the online carts price spike with each added item. The biggest things I found you need for a plant.. is patience and dedication paired with monitoring, understanding, and adjusting to the plants needs.... Let's not all forget that plants were grown without any of the products we have today...and with fairly decent success. I am not disputing the research and results of the big name equipment or products.. But you can still produce some nice green with out breaking the bank or over stressing yourself....ok I am finished I will take my lashings now from the great green ones :p

what are the tools or products is the best for begginer in growing marijuana seeds?
:welcome:
Keep it simple and basic the first couple of times, just to see how this plant grows. I recommend a good high quality potting soil with no additional nutrients. Don't get fancy with Miracle Grow or anything like that, just good quality potting soil will be perfect, and cheap.
Then take care of the nutritional needs with a good organic fertilizer that doesn't need anything but water added. This will eliminate the need for expensive meters because you will have no need to check EC, pH or ppm's. With a good organic fertilizer like our sponsor @GeoFlora Nutrients provides, the microbes essential for the organic feeding cycle are replenished every two weeks, so there is also no need to worry about the chlorine in your water... tap water will work just fine.
Essentially, eliminate all the variables that can go wrong, or require special equipment or procedures that might require a learning curve.

What you really need:
A couple of containers to uppot into as the plant gets bigger, such as a solo/beer cup to start them in, a 1 gallon or so container to uppot them into, and then a 3 gallon or larger sized to use as their final blooming container, a bag of soil to use in this uppotting process, a small bag of @GeoFlora Nutrients VEG and BLOOM, tap water and a watering can.... and you should have everything you need to produce a quality, high producing grow.
It shouldn't be hard to grow a weed marijuanaseeds... despite what well meaning people who had to find a method that worked for them, would like you to believe.
:morenutes:

:welcome:
Keep it simple and basic the first couple of times, just to see how this plant grows. I recommend a good high quality potting soil with no additional nutrients. Don't get fancy with Miracle Grow or anything like that, just good quality potting soil will be perfect, and cheap.
Then take care of the nutritional needs with a good organic fertilizer that doesn't need anything but water added. This will eliminate the need for expensive meters because you will have no need to check EC, pH or ppm's. With a good organic fertilizer like our sponsor @GeoFlora Nutrients provides, the microbes essential for the organic feeding cycle are replenished every two weeks, so there is also no need to worry about the chlorine in your water... tap water will work just fine.
Essentially, eliminate all the variables that can go wrong, or require special equipment or procedures that might require a learning curve.

What you really need:
A couple of containers to uppot into as the plant gets bigger, such as a solo/beer cup to start them in, a 1 gallon or so container to uppot them into, and then a 3 gallon or larger sized to use as their final blooming container, a bag of soil to use in this uppotting process, a small bag of @GeoFlora Nutrients VEG and BLOOM, tap water and a watering can.... and you should have everything you need to produce a quality, high producing grow.
It shouldn't be hard to grow a weed marijuanaseeds... despite what well meaning people who had to find a method that worked for them, would like you to believe.
:morenutes:
I am trying @GeoFlora Nutrients this grow. Also, don't over water your plants - let them dry out a bit between waterings.

Cannabis Seeds

Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Hey :) I am an absolute virgin to growing, but i've been playing around with other growers trim etc and can produce some funky edibles now ! yay go me lol...however.... I wanna be a gardener now! woo. BUT i need all the bloomin help i can get (i've seen them ickle grow cabinets they look cute) anyway .... im kinda hoping someone wants to adopt me as their ickle Prodigy, i'm a keen and quick learner with some already basic cucumber growing skills (oo oo and ill try keep my inner ginner under control ha)......Purleeeeeease you guyyyyyss ...help a gal out?
Yours truly
L :)
aka green finger wannabe

Hey :) I am an absolute virgin to growing, but i've been playing around with other growers trim etc and can produce some funky edibles now ! yay go me lol...however.... I wanna be a gardener now! woo. BUT i need all the bloomin help i can get (i've seen them ickle grow cabinets they look cute) anyway .... im kinda hoping someone wants to adopt me as their ickle Prodigy, i'm a keen and quick learner with some already basic cucumber growing skills (oo oo and ill try keep my inner ginner under control ha)......Purleeeeeease you guyyyyyss ...help a gal out?
Yours truly
aka green finger wannabe
Hey captain welcome to 420magazine my friend.
Do you have a plan for your grow.
If you go to frequently asked questions we can all help with any issues you need answers for.
Also if you start a journal regardless of situation we will all jump in and give advice how to set up and get started.
Check out our sponsors for a great deal on any equipment you need.
Have you read any journals?
There are lots of people explaining their set up and why they do it that way.
If you need anything specific answered you can tag any of us like this @Bill284 .
Happy growing.

Stay safe
Bill

Yours truly
aka green finger wannabe
hiya @CaptainSquishy7 and welcome!

While I cant be your private tutor, I do take any and all questions and I have a ton of grow journals and other research on here that can be used to teach you a whole lot of what is going on. In the beginning I tailored my grow journals for members like you, just starting out, and who in the future would have the same questions as I as they were starting up their own grows. I wrote my journals as a guide for people just like me. You will find that things I believed back in 2010 are not necessarily the things that I believe now, a good decade into my formal research of this hobby. Do your research... there are hundreds of ways to grow this plant and some are much easier than others. Some methods require you to be there daily, actively doing something to the plants, while other methods will let you go days at a time without even checking on your plants. Some methods are very forgiving of mistakes, some are not.

I work with a bunch of disabled patients and have been looking for the easiest and most reproducible grow method I could find. I personally despise Auto plants and simply will not grow them when there are plenty of higher quality photoperiod plants available. I also would rather grow non-feminized plants, so that I have the option to produce my own seeds, or not, simply because I hate paying huge amounts of money for a product of nature.

I grow in good soil, that can be reused over and over again with amendments here and there and I grow using organic fertilizers so that I have no need to mess with adjusting pH, so that I can use tap water, so that the plants and microbes make all the feeding decisions for me and so that there will never be a need to flush my soil of built up salts. Organically grown plants are always superior to plants grown using artificial synthetic nutrients, and I like that. Most people having experienced organically grown, will never go back to traditional nutrients, so let me give you that advice right of the bat and get you going in the right direction.

Then in that vein, there are various methods of organic growing, True living soil containers, which are large and take some time and skill to get going, then there is TLO, a method that uses supersoil in the bottom of the container with every nutrient your plant will need for the entire grow, composted in, where your challenge is to supply the microbes (the living part) via regular supplements, and then supplemented organics, where the needed raw nutrients and microbes are periodically added to the top of the soil to keep things going. This last is the method that I have chosen, and I have a half blind triple amputee in a wheelchair who confirms that this is his method of choice... @GeoFlora Nutrients , one of this forum's sponsors.

as with any style it takes a couple grows to get a decent one in organics. if you are already an active flower or vegetable gardener you have a good head start.

if you have your own space and can grow long term i'd recommend organics. for condo owners or those with other living circumstances organics is a complete pain.

if that is the case both coco and hempy are easy passive hydro styles that can be picked up a bit quicker for most new growers. it can be quite a simple approach with the right nute choice, and the learning curve while steep, is much shorter.

Back
Top Bottom