what do you think of this soil mix, Coast of Maine. Stonington Blend

I was in the local nursery with the intention of buying another ingredient for my soil mix for the indoor grow I plan this spring. Because, I need to get it cooking soon.

I have almost a full bag of FFOF, plus the two added ingredients I put in my soil mix for my current grow. (Ancient Forest & Black Gold) With four same breed auto plants planned for my next grow, what I'd like to do is have two plants using FFOF, and the other two with a soil mix I want to make up.

I'm hoping to get off the FFOF because I can't get it local, and this might be the best, or one way to test a new soil, against a proven winner like FFOF.

Anyway.

So, today I was going to buy something for that mix, then I noticed this big bag of soil from Coast of Maine products.

I'll let you look at the pic to see the list of ingredients, but it's looking like all the stuff I was gonna buy, individually, is already in this mix?

Two questions,

Anyone using this soil?

What does the ingredient list lack? Dolimite and...

20150201_112643.jpg

A link to that soil: Stonington Blend Platinum Growers Mix

As always thank you, 420

:thanks:

Figured this might be a tough one to get feedback.

I'm going to do a bit more research, but I like this blend and will use it for at least two of the four auto plants I'm planning.

I'll add a few things, dolimite and maybe a bug preventative, but I like the base of this soil.

I looked for that, the NPK but either missed it, or it wasn't there. I did notice that hen shit, I have enough of that, and it's hot, like you said. I think I'll throw some in two smartpots, cook it for a couple months, and see what it's like. I might just try one plant.... but I bet growers in Maine use this... I just need to dial in my Google search....

$35 for the bag, think that was 1.5 liter, good size bag I could do at least 2 plants

Just watched the video, i think the girl said NPK was 7 18 1

Need to find out what Fox Farm OF is.

I see on the bag it's got dolimite in it already

FF of is very low npk . Since these grow mediums are organic-based and breakdown is constantly occuring, the NPK values will be fractions of percentages, which will not add much short-term nutrient value. This is the reason most soil companies don't put NPK values on their soil products... they are too low, mostly at trace levels and they are not fertilizers, they are growing mediums.

Initial searching of FFOF numbers says they don't advertise, probably due to what you said. The numbers are so low..

Assuming I heard correctly, ya think the NPK for this Maine stuff is too hot? I could just try a bagseed bean for a first run so I don't waste a good seed.

Now that I rethink, I think she said the fish bone meal fertilizer they have in the bag has those NPK numbers, maybe not the whole bag,, seems high based on those percentages you spoke about

Or I can just man up and see????

I really want to get away from buying soil via the internet... but if it's the best option I will.

Really appreciate your time

I don't think it's hot I'd just check the ph here and there.

If I were you I'd give it a shot if it seems low on the perlite I'd add a Lil.

Doing some surfing today on my wife's Facebook account or via it, and I found their Facebook page for this soil. Says right on there that it's been made to grow marijuana. I'd link to it but I'm on my phone and that can be a pia.

But, that is good to hear, from them. I'm going to try it on two

Stone ing ton blend. Even sounds like it should grow it. I'm pretty excited now to try it...

For those who have FB

Not sure if that link worky, but that's it

I finally got that soil today:

20150201_112643.jpg

I need to get cooking my next run soon, next weekend the latest.

Doing four autos, bomb thc

All in three gallon smart pots

Now, the soil.

I'm thinking two plants will use a soil mix close to what I did this time, with a couple of enhancements:

FFOF base mix 50%
Ancient Forest 10%
Black Gold 10%
Perlite & Hydroyton 10%ea

So, that's about 90% of the soil mix, with some dolomite, even though there is some in the FF. Some EWC, and I might add a crab meal but not sure.

The other two plants will be in this new Coast of Maine Stonington blend. Or that will be the base.

Stonington 50%
EWC 10
Ancient Forest 10
Black Gold 10
Perlite & Hydroyton 10ea
Dolomite

Seem like I'm missing anything or what?

Here is my stash
20150221_120817.jpg

Next question if anyone cares to entertain it,, I got some Epsoma Bio-Tone Starter Plus. Probably a bad impulse purchase, but it says on the package it's organic. Lots of good stuff inside. I like Epsoma products for the most part, so I was thinking of adding a cup or so to all four pots. Kinda a slow release fert? I want to feed teas and fish fert only.

Anyone use this?

20150221_120847.jpg

Thanks as always for anyone taking time to and answer..

Puff, puff, pass......

:thanks:

Thanks, Dutty. I really liked that soil once I opened it up. Nice consistency, lots of perlite. Seems a bit darker then the FFOF. I'm cooking them now in plastic bins, but probably mid week next week I'll move the soil into smart pots. I'm going to sow the beans right in their final pot for these autos.

That won't happen till the first week of April.

I'd give the soil more time to cook if possible almost a month 3 weeks minimum.

Hey how you like the candy kush once it was cured. Just ordered up royal queen candy kush express fast version

A month in the bin before I put them in the smart pots???

So, I take it that is where it's doing the actual, "cooking" , I need to read more on this apparently...

I loved the candy kush.. very happy. I'm into the first one I grew and it's very relaxing on the body which has been great given the snow and beating it puts on my body.

I need to get a hot tub again.

I just ordered ten more of those seeds, and I want to try some colloidal silver on one of them this summer. I'll grow that a lot I think. But, my experience with all these varieties is limited. I've just been getting what the man has been dealing all these years. Growing my own is so nice...

Back
Top Bottom