What do you think of this?

luvchilln

My new grow room is 7'x7'x8'tall. I'm wanting to switch from CFLs to HPS. I was thinking about getting 2 400w hps setups and putting 3 plants under each one... maybe scrog??? just wondering how you think this would do... any ideas appreciated Thanks

I recommend you to go with 2 x 1000W HPS system with 2 XXXL hood, you will get much better yield if budget wasn't an issue roughly $900 (+-) With the new digital ballast the dimming settings give you 4 ballast in 1: 50% @ 500W (EST), 75% @ 750W (EST) 100% @ 1000W (EST) 110% @ 1110W (EST).

Figure out how much lighting you can afford to purchase (and use) first and then shrink your space to match the lighting. 49 square feet of grow space requires a fair amount of light - 2450 watts would give you 50 watts per square foot which is the minimum that many people shoot for in the flowering phase. Some use less - some happily use a lot more, of course, lol - but trying to get good coverage from an inadequate amount of lighting often means that the person has to raise the light(s), which hurts even more due to the inverse square law. One often gives up the benefit of reflective walls because their light(s) aren't then strong enough. The yield ends up being less per square foot (and quite often, less overall), the buds are less dense, the plants tend to stretch more, in some strains trichome production will be noticeably less... While at the same time, the grower trying to grow in a larger space than his/her lighting will usefully support ends up with more plants, more soil (et cetera), more containers, more watering, more maintenance - basically, more work for less yield - and, if this is not a legal grow, in the unlikely event that it get noticed by LEO, more plants can mean the difference between getting charged with a personal grow vs. getting charged with a "commercial" one due to the way many jurisdictions' laws look at it.

With the 800 watts that you mentioned you were considering, a 16 square foot grow room would be illuminated with 50 watts per square foot. With two lights, you would be better off with a rectangular grow room than a square one so as to provide even lighting throughout.

Back
Top Bottom