What does it do?

bobj

Vitamin C, what does it do to chloramines in the water? Do they die from vitamin c? Or does it just make it sink to bottom of the pail? Can be used to ready water for aerated compost tea brewing? (you need non chlorinated water for this)

Chloarmine is not alive, therefore, it cannot die. Vitamin C is an antioxidant/reducing agent. It's just a chemical reaction. The part that matters:
NH2Cl +( )(OH)2 ---> NH4+ + Cl- +( )(O)2

Expect it to drop the water's pH "a bit." If you were putting it in distilled water, you'd end up with quite acidic water. But you're not, obviously, and your municipal source water is probably a full "whole number" greater (more alkaline) than 7 - so it's not a concern, IMHO.

Just chemistry.

You may need to treat the result as if it were chlorinated, IDK. I'm not really an "organic" gardener, in the sense that you'd use the term. <SHRUGS> If there's any chlorine gas dissolved in the water afterwards, letting it sit uncovered overnight, or for an hour in the sunlight, or pouring a teaspoon or so of H₂O₂ into the water will take care of it.

Chloarmine is not alive, therefore, it cannot die. Vitamin C is an antioxidant/reducing agent. It's just a chemical reaction. The part that matters:
NH2Cl +( )(OH)2 ---> NH4+ + Cl- +( )(O)2

Expect it to drop the water's pH "a bit." If you were putting it in distilled water, you'd end up with quite acidic water. But you're not, obviously, and your municipal source water is probably a full "whole number" greater (more alkaline) than 7 - so it's not a concern, IMHO.

Just chemistry.

You may need to treat the result as if it were chlorinated, IDK. I'm not really an "organic" gardener, in the sense that you'd use the term. <SHRUGS> If there's any chlorine gas dissolved in the water afterwards, letting it sit uncovered overnight, or for an hour in the sunlight, or pouring a teaspoon or so of H₂O₂ into the water will take care of it.
I am not a chemist and do not undertsand.

What does it do to the water? Iirc, 'chloramine' is chlorine and ammonia, binded or fused together, right? Does putting vitamin c into contact with this thing undo that binding and allow both chemicals to float to surface and become air? or does the poison remain in the pail with the water, at the bottom?

Back
Top Bottom