What factors cause an "earth" smell?

ProperTopper

I'm about to be harvesting in 10-14 days and am growing Kosher Kush. The genes of this strain are top tier and the buds currently on the plant smell and look the same.

Two weeks ago, so about 4 weeks premature, I cut down a branch for the hell of it to see how it would turn out it I tried to dry and cure it. I know I didn't 'properly' dry the branch because I had it open in my car, on my bureau, in a cabinet etc. Pretty much everything during the drying process that I did was incorrect which I know. Regardless of how incorrect I dried it, I then put it in a jar for 3-4 days opening it a couple times a day and the bud smells like complete earth. Very disappointing to say the least.

Does anyone have input as to why it might smell so earthy and what to do to prevent that from happening. Was it simply because the sample I was working with was too premature? Was the incorrect drying the main factor? Any thoughts would be great!

Aerobic bacteria and mold cause an earthy smell in soil. It is possible that you picked up some airborne bacteria/spores and then incubated them in your jar for a few days.

The best way to sample a bud is to dry it out as fast as possible, broken up on parchment in a fan oven at 140F, or dry it as you would dry a normal harvest bud, by hanging it up in one room for a few days.

Bringing it to work, driving it around in the car, or taking it for country walks are all not recommended.

Back
Top Bottom