What fan provides the best power while being quiet?

M00gle

Hi everyone. I am working on setting up a grow in a 3X3 tents but was wondering what type of fan you guys recommend for an apartment grow. I have done alot of research about the different types but haven't seen much on how loud they are.

I am thinking of going with a Dayton blower or a hydrofarm active air that is 265cfm. Does anyone know what fan is the best for running in an apartment setting while keeping stealth? I know these fans are powerful but if they are too loud then they are worthless in a apartment with thin walls.

I was also thinking of going with some of those ultra quiet fans that look like large computer fans, but I don't think these can pull through a carbon filter.

Any advice will help. Thanks :grinjoint:

Fans can be muffled. You build a box around the fan with only the intake and exhaust lines run out. You install a small PC fan to circulate air around the bigger fan if they get too hot. Since most exhaust fans don't run 24/7 it's usually not neccessary for the PC fan. Air cooled lights don't require a lot of air movement for cooling so a smaller quieter fan can be used for them. Most fans are not rated for high heat plus if it's possible use the fan to push air through a area (like a light) rather than pull the air. The fan will be much more efficient that way and last longer.

Fans can be muffled. You build a box around the fan with only the intake and exhaust lines run out. You install a small PC fan to circulate air around the bigger fan if they get too hot. Since most exhaust fans don't run 24/7 it's usually not neccessary for the PC fan. Air cooled lights don't require a lot of air movement for cooling so a smaller quieter fan can be used for them. Most fans are not rated for high heat plus if it's possible use the fan to push air through a area (like a light) rather than pull the air. The fan will be much more efficient that way and last longer.

Thanks for the advice racefan. So you are saying instead of pulling air through my Carbon filter just push it through. I have a grow tent so for best results I should put the fan inside my tent and push the air out into a carbon filter outside of the tent.

Do you know if 265cfm squirrel cage fans make alot of noise for an apartment setting? Oh also are inline duct fans from home depot powerful enough to filter through a carbon filter? Thanks for the help.

NO! I'm not saying you should be doing anything. How you set up your grow room depends on what works best for your situation. I have seen people blow air through carbon filters but I myself have never used one so I can't say what will work best for you. I live on 4.5 acres in the country. Smell and noise is the least of my worries. When I lived in the city in apartments I guerrilla grew outdoors instead of indoors. What I am saying is that fans are much more efficient at blowing air instead of sucking air. It's why they are sometimes called "blowers" instead of "suckers".lol Heat is detrimental to bearings and metal parts as it causes metal to expand in size which increases wear. If there is a way to add fans and have them "blow" the heat away rather than suck the heat through themselves it will be better for the fan and more efficient for the room. But that's not always possible and everyone needs to set their rooms up for "their" needs.
I have no idea how loud that fan is and I can almost guarrantee that the inline "duct assist" fans sold at HD are not powerful enough. I used a 4" one once and it burned out within a month. Could haver been coincidense but at $30.00 it was a little too short lived for my taste.

Remember some fans are make to draw from a room into an exhaust, like a bathroom fan. It would be best to set these up in a "Pull" situation. I have always recommended pulling air through carbon filters for the simple reason that back flow causes efficiency issues. If you are pushing air into a wall with very few holes, the back pressure disturbs new airflow, and causes even more of a problem. But pull air through those same small holes and you will maintain the same pressure (although harder on the fan) all the time, pulling the air out.

Hmm... lots of good points. Thanks Racefan and Boss! Smell and noise are my biggest concerns so I think I'll pull through the carbon filter.

Back
Top Bottom