What gas to use?

I don't much condone the making of bho. It is dangerous, but it does work and it's one of the simplest extraction methods.

When I used to make mine I used 11x butane, great for torches too. Comes out super clean with the proper purge technique. I suggest doing it on a hot day outdoors with zero electronics nearby, nothing that could cause a spark. Better safe than sorry.

I agree with Ganjagrowergu, Butane and Hydrocarbon volatile extraction is best left for the pros, as it is Extremely Dangerous. I don't condone BHO extraction unless you are using a closed loop system in a lab designed with all of the safety protocol in place. It is extremely dangerous to do open blasting with Butane or any flammable gas.
Too many people blow themselves up, endanger others because of butane extractions done in improper setups and environments. Plus using 100's of cans of butane is extremely wasteful to the planet.

I would instead recommend looking into Pressing Rosin, Oil extractions or water hash if you must make extracts.

IF you absolutely must use Butane, you may want to research "mystery oil" and "BHO" as most people that have used even pure butane have found a mystery oil residue left over which may be harmful. Also many commercially available cans of butane contain odorants which you do NOT want in you product. Professional labs do not use devices like this.

IF you decide to use this device, do it OUTDOORS, away from flames, heat, sparks, etc... Do NOT open blast indoors PERIOD! Remove any electronics from your pockets including cell phones, headphones, airpods, flashlights...etc... Butane is heavier than air and will gather in "pools" near the ground, and is undetectable to the nose if using pure butane which is why it should be done outdoors, or in a professional explosion proof lab.

Also, offgass your spent material (biomass) outdoors as it will still contain a lot of butane, and allow your "crude" to offgass outdoors as well. Butane has a fairly low LEL or Lower Explosive Limit therefore it doesn't take much to become an explosive mixture. (I think its about 1.7% volume of air to become ignitable)

BHO and hydrocarbon extraction is best left up to the pros who use closed loop systems, reviewed by engineers, using active explosion proof ventilation, gas detectors, automatic fire suppression systems in rooms that are designed to be explosion proof and intrinsically safe where all electronics are rated for use around explosive gasses (Class 1 Division 1).

is 1 can really going to blow you up though? i used to make bho with just a couple cans in a basement with a tv on and other electrical stuff never had a problem.

just out of a glass tube though nothing fancy.
then brought it up to try and decarb it on an electric range with boiling water underneath.

rudimentary as hell but it worked

is 1 can really going to blow you up though? i used to make bho with just a couple cans in a basement with a tv on and other electrical stuff never had a problem.

just out of a glass tube though nothing fancy.
then brought it up to try and decarb it on an electric range with boiling water underneath.

rudimentary as hell but it worked

Is it worth taking the risk and finding out? Sometimes you have to think safety before satisfaction. I can of butane is plenty enough to ignite and cause serious burns, damage and ruin someones day.... You are very lucky that nothing happened. There are plenty of other ways to make extracts with safer methods.

There is a reason that professional engineers and fire marshals have to sign off and inspect a licensed butane lab and everything within the room is classified as Class 1 Division 1. Have people made BHO successfully and had nothing happen? yes... Have people had to have skin removed from their legs, thighs and butt cheeks and grafted to replace the charred skin on their arms, faces and other body parts because they thought a can or 2 was safe to use to extract.. YES.

Here are a couple videos that show what just 1 can of butane or a small amount could do. Also, butane can be ignited by a spark (arc) from static electricity, from heat, from a spark from an electronic drill or power tool, and many other sources of ignition.

Here is what could happen if you ignore safe extraction methods.

All I am saying is if you are going to make BHO... either do it the right way where you are in a professional lab with safety protocol in place, or at minimum outdoors, or you are risking injury. Is that risk for a 2 hour high really worth a lifetime of burned bodyparts?

:snowboating: :green_heart: Here's one of my older models from 'best value vacs'. 10 pound closed loop with explosion proof pump. Got a 120 lbs 2.5 instrument butane tank here,, best of the best.. I have this at my smaller personal facility at the back. I use a pump to pump the hot water and cold water in. I also use liquid nitrogen in my dewaxing sleeve. This is my trusty old crude rig for distillate generally. Or if I want to run a batch of personal.. This has nothing to do with regular operations. I stole this from another facility of mine few years back. Lol

Attachments

• 20190614_095544.jpg
    20190614_095544.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 270
Back
Top Bottom