What Goes up Must Come Down

The Mad Toker

What goes up must come down
written by: Ali M
Being able to consume and enjoy the high of Cannabis is one of Nature's greatest gifts. But people's bodies and minds work differently, and just as some people hate being stoned, many folks may also suffer from heavy comedowns from time to time.

What is a comedown?
Basically, a comedown is the negative effects you feel after getting high. The effect and intensity depend on the substance

Cannabis is considered by many to be the mildest drug of all, but it too has very definite after-effects. Educating one's self and being aware of these effects, and knowing how to deal with - and perhaps reduce them is essential for a healthy relationship with MaryJane. The way of the true Connoisseur.

Why does it happen?
While there may be lengthy and complex scientific explanations for comedowns, the basic concept is of chemical imbalance. When we get high, certain chemicals in our body (and particularly our brain) get consumed faster than normal. This results in the usual feelings of euphoria, well-being, heightened awareness, etc. But once the drug's effects wear off, the brain is left with a deficiency or imbalance of the various chemicals - which leave us feeling some negative effects while the body tries to replenish and restore to normal levels.

What are the effects?
The most common effects of a Cannabis comedown include emotional instability, depression, paranoia, anti-social behaviour, lethargy or laziness, grumpiness and the common fuzzy or 'burnt' feeling where we may have difficulty concentrating or staying alert. These effects can last for various periods, starting from about 3 hours after toking and lasting up to one or two days afterwards.

What can I do about it?
Firstly, before you toke, be aware that there will be a comedown and that your performance will be somewhat reduced. Do you have an exam, meeting or lots to do the next day? If so, either pass the joint on or perhaps have a smaller amount than usual.

If you are already coming down and you start to feel cranky, lazy or depressed, remember why you are feeling these effects and be aware that they'll pass. You may try some exercise, have a cup of coffee or do something you enjoy to help you to feel better.

Also, a healthy diet and regular exercise goes a long way in generally reducing the effect of comedowns in the long term.

What not to do
Many folks believe that the negative effects can be eliminated by having another joint ... while this may be true in the short term, you'll only increase the comedown when you eventually do stop toking. A lot of folks have built up a dependency this way and soon they become chain smokers.

So take it easy and always bear these laws in mind:

1. What goes up must come down

2. The higher you go, the lower you'll fall

and lastly,
3. Enjoy everything in moderation ...including moderation itself!

~JJ~

The worst comedown I have ever had was being a bit hazy one day. Just a bit behind and confused. That is it. And that was only after eating too many brownies. Not smoke.

I hear the stories of bad comedowns but I never seem to experience it.

mad toker im liking these lil informative threads u have going on =)

I've had days after heavy smoking when my body just feels like a lead weight and I have absolutly no motivation to do anything. Usually a cold shower or going out for a walk or bike ride fixes that up.

I'll continue postin articles I find until I'm told to stop so be prepared for some good ones.

^Yeah that is a good way to get out of the haze.

Usually after a night of smoking i have to go to work the next day
though.
Thank christ everyone there is so stupid they don't realize how out of
it i am at work.
I sit at a desk all day and stare at a pc, so can't exactly get up
and ride a bike on those days. ;)

gence said:
I dont know anyone who has "come down" from smoking herbs man.

Yah more like they use herb to come down hehe, but after some potent herb I feel sleepy if I smoke tooo much.

Back
Top Bottom