What happened to my plant: Curling up

yes he’s talking about regular rainwater, many people divert a downspout into a barrel for plants, flowers etc especially in water restricted states. In many areas grey water is used for irrigation like golf courses and resorts in Florida

Ok what kind of tester are we talking about to test your soil ph? A slurry test is how to find soil ph.

If it’s one of those 2 prong jobs that test ph, light and moisture..... do yourself a favor, put it beside the grill for roasting 2 hotdogs at a time. You shouldnt make any garden decisions based on that probe. Every newbie bought, one myself included - but it's pretty much useless in the garden

Yes I did buy the 2 prong one from home depo. Which one should I get. Also I took some pics of my plant. It looks so terrible are you guys sure it’s gonna bounce back lol
BA30AA9F-C703-4006-AAD2-648515ABD2B1.jpeg

Yes I did buy the 2 prong one from home depo. Which one should I get. Also I took some pics of my plant. It looks so terrible are you guys sure it’s gonna bounce back lol
BA30AA9F-C703-4006-AAD2-648515ABD2B1.jpeg
Yes. I had one way way worse than that 9ne and it took a little time but sure did bounce back

Yes. I had one way way worse than that 9ne and it took a little time but sure did bounce back
I even had one of about 1 month veg I threw in the compost only to find it started growing again...was very amazed at that lol the roots somehow started digging in and took root there so I dug under about a foot and transplanted it again and had a successful harvest.

Ok dear, hold the presses! That one may curl up and die, but if it dies we will help you restart. Next you are over watering that plant 2 ways. 1 by giving too much water at once, it’s a small plant in a huge pot of soil, and 2 by watering again before it’s dried out. I recognize that it’s prolly been flushed but young ones do better when soil is more dry. Too much water like this and her roots can’t breathe, so growth slows down.

Suspect you have city water with chlorine or chloramine, draw a half bucket at a time and let it sit out for 24 hrs before use. Next add your nutes and stir but let that sit for 15 minutes then stir it and check ph.

Don't worry about checking runoff ph or ppm, fine sediments & nutes come out in the wash so it’s an inflated number anyway, worry about inputs not runoff... Most ph pens require solution a 4 and a 7 bottle of liquid for calibration and storage solution to keep the bulb wet. I’ve got blue labs pen - others may differ but I would guess they all need calibration fluids... but idk.

it could live and be fine - hard to say but she does look pretty beat up. I would not put another drop of water on her for at least 5 to 7 days, if you can get that bag up on a grate, borrow rack from oven or toaster oven if necessary- get airflow under grow bag so it can begin to dry out

I don’t check ph in soil, some swear by it, others swear at it. Technically the soil buffers ph anyway so it’s not imperative but it is advisable to follow soil and nute manufacturers recommendations.

Ya I have it in a 5 gallon the plant was a bit higher before this happen I’ll post what it look like before. But ya I am
Prolly over watering. I was just tryin to flush it out I guess. I did just plant some seeds an they sprouted today so hopefully I do better with those

15FA0475-080C-494B-977A-8F8ED9972807.jpeg

818079A7-F02C-4D35-BAA9-E406DF1EBD55.jpeg

Yes ma‘am, that’s too wet. It’s ok tho, that’s why you are here to learn. When top of soil is dry to 1st knuckle the bottom is still swimming in water. Wet soil in veg makes for lazy roots, they don’t have to work to find water. When it totally dries out, like 5 to 7 days from now she will say hey I’m thirsty and send tiny roots hairs to search for water. Watch leaf position and angle, they will slightly droop when she’s thirsty. Don’t water right away but wait half day or full day, and from wilted she will perk up after water. A big plant like those 2 in chairs should be able to go without water for 4 to 5 days easy with no probs and they could probably go even longer.

It’s called working wet dry cycle, work wet dry cycle in veg but once she’s in flower keep soil moist.

fill up same size container with just the same soil mix, lift the pot with no plant - it should be light as a feather, that’s your comparison tool.

Agree it’s expensive - once equipment is paid for it’s just beans, nutes and power bill.

edited above comment to add this at bottom of page but it’s for your benefit

I don’t check ph in soil, some swear by it, others swear at it. Technically the soil buffers ph anyway so it’s not imperative but it is advisable to follow soil and nute manufacturers recommendations.

Agree it’s expensive - once equipment is paid for it’s just beans, nutes and power bill.

edited above comment to add this at bottom of page but it’s for your benefit

I will have to slightly disagree with the above, sorry 013. Some soils are good at buffering the pH of the fluids that come in, and some are not. Some buffer in different ways and with different drift rates at the top and bottom of teh scale. Sadly, most new growers have no idea what we are trying to accomplish by adjusting our pH and this modern myth that you don't need to pH in soil persists.

When we water a column of soil (in a container) with a fluid set to a certain pH, because of the massive amount of water molecular weight as compared to everything else in the soil, the pH of the water determines the pH of that column of saturated soil. It can do nothing else... the water rules.

We have known for years that mathematically, the pH where the most nutes are the most mobile and available to the plant is 6.3 pH. It makes sense to shoot for that number as we pH our column of water just for that ability to send so many nutes all at once to the plant.

Not all nutes are the most mobile at 6.3 though, some are more mobile a bit higher than that. This is why we hear that pH should be adjusted to a range and there are chart after chart showing you the pH range in soil being 6.2-6.8 pH. This is where the buffers in the soil come in. Most soils have a dolomite buffer mixed in that starts working on the 6.3 pH fluids as soon as they hit, and this interaction starts DRIFTING the pH of that column of saturated soil upward. As it drifts through the range, it picks up even more nutrients, and especially the tricky ones that were more reluctant down at the 6.3 level. We have found that it is very desirable to drift our pH through that entire range, each time we water. To further help in the process, soil is usually set to a base (dry) pH of 6.8, at the high end of the range. This is done so that as the water table falls within the container and the soil begins to dry from the top down, the pH is able to drift all the way up to 6.8, as the soil is drying out... completing the drift through the entire range for any nutes sitting in that portion of the container.

It is a great system, but it needs to be understood so that it can be worked correctly. FFOF actually has such a strong upward drift that sometimes elements most mobile at the very low end, get skipped as the pH rapidly rises and not enough got into the plant. In FFOF I learned to pH at 6.2 pH each time, just so I could pick up these heavy elements, molybdenum especially, and as soon as I did, a late bloom deficiency stopped appearing for me.

So yes, it is possible to grow without adjusting pH, but to get the maximum out of your nutes, adjusting to the correct pH can be very helpful.

Ok ya thanks for that info I’ll def lay off the water for a few days. I’m very new to this I wanted to start growing because I spend way to much on supporting my smoking habits lol
How we all got here.

Good luck with your grow. Dont flush soil. I dont care what anyone says it doesn't work its been proven scientifically that it doesn't work. When the plants are coming down the stretch in flower water extra you wont hurt them. In VEG you just need to water appropriately.

Your last pics your plants look perfect.

How we all got here.

Good luck with your grow. Dont flush soil. I dont care what anyone says it doesn't work its been proven scientifically that it doesn't work. When the plants are coming down the stretch in flower water extra you wont hurt them. In VEG you just need to water appropriately.

Your last pics your plants look perfect.
Ya those were the plants before I ruined them lol

Id say for next time, not sure what starin this is but, maby pick a less fussy strain thats more robust to small enviroment changes. And what i do when watering cannaibis in preticular is leave a small circle around the stem unwatered, but dampin it with a sprayer now and then (just so its not completey dry and give it some life). Less water is better, so when the top soil drys, depending on enviroment its usually good to water again.
Maby u could, but id use completely new soil and not reuse that stuff just a heads up:high-five:
Happy growing

I think its beyond repairable, sorry.

Next time try to wait for plant to tell you she is hungry before feeding them.

I always error on low side to see signs of plant Needing food, you will see a fade, or deficiency, Then only 1/4 strength doses to start and see how they react. Can always add more food and they will bounce back, but if you overfeed them then its much harder to bounce back as you now know.

Hard lesson learned...but don't give up! Take it as a lesson.... and keep on trying. We all f up just have to learn from our errors and try not to make same mistake twice ;)

Back
Top Bottom