What is a flowering clone?

This is a great thread. I am a new grower and when I started my research of clones I watched a guy on youtube that explained all the different cropping techniques. The last one he showed he called "monster cropping" and it was taking a clone from a flowering plant at day 21. He described how it would go crazy with branching. I shared this info with a friend who had lost all the clones she took from plants before she put them into flower. So I went over and took clones at day 21 and brought them home. They are back in veg and look better than my other clones. My friend is very happy that I saved her 2 strains.

DAMN! Sorry I forgot about the update until just now when I got the notification of dankness's comment.

The clones taken 4 days into flower took between 10 to 25 days to get rooted through rockwool cubes and were pathetic looking for about a month but when the roots came in they were thicker than roots from a vegging clone. I also have some young Colombian Gold landrace in 16oz cups that I really didn't know what the fuck to do with so I put them in the bloom room to sex them and left the females in there for about about 3 weeks and then I cut the tops of the 4 females into 3 sections each and they all took root within about 7-10 days in the General Hydroponics Rapid Starters so the roots didn't have quite as far to go before becoming visible. I took the three clones from the most robust female Colombian and put them all into one DWC bucket. I'll try to remember to report back when these revert to vegging. That's the part that seems the slowest but it might be faster than cloning from vegging plants in the long run. In any case, it works at 4 days and 20 days into flowering.

Here's the alpha female 3 weeks after cloning her into 3 plants.

Colombian_Gold_alpha_female_3_weeks_after_cloning_0711140428.jpg

My 2nd set of flower clones are now showing new growth and looking wonderful. This will be my new method. I was planning on having mother plants. Not anymore.

I'm thinking about putting my mothers outside. I can either take a few clones just before I put them into flower or cut them in bloom. I think I prefer taking clones in veg though since the clones cut during flower take a long time to revert to veg. If anyone knows of a way to speed that phase up please don't keep it a secret, huh?

I took my clones from a flowering plant at day 21 from 2 different strains. The lemon haze rooted right away just as a clone from veg. The other strain which I only know as purple did take about 2 weeks. So I don't think that was bad at all. I just used the same method of cloning that I used from a plant in veg which is in rockwell cubes with a humidity dome and a 13 watt fluorescent bulb. I would mist them a few times a day. I also try to get 2 nodes down in the cubes with cloning hormone on them. Hope this helps

I'm thinking about putting my mothers outside. I can either take a few clones just before I put them into flower or cut them in bloom. I think I prefer taking clones in veg though since the clones cut during flower take a long time to revert to veg. If anyone knows of a way to speed that phase up please don't keep it a secret, huh?

First time grower (soon to be!). You have just cut my start up budget in half! No need for a flower room just to keep a mother alive! I needed a mother room because I'm going with a high cbd (cha-ching). Thanks a ton! Many many people in need of a high cbd plant will benefit from this!

It's pretty common sense to take flowering clones if the need arises. I only have done it twice.
Once to save my amazing "strawberry creme" and just today to save my Canna Sutra strain that my girlfriend gave me for valentines day.

Commercial nurseries have been continuing strains of plants like oregano, brugmansia, etc. (everything) for years. No genetic drift and the propagators sem to have little regard for what cycle it is on. If it's flowering and they need cuttings, BINGO! :cheer: I speak from experience.

Chances are the catnip growing in 3.5s at your local grocerey store is 5+ years old. Technically. :D Cat's still love it and it's exactly the same in every way. DANK!

This thread is awesome, thank you.

I have been pondering a separate room for the mothers.......problem has now been solved.

Hey I was just wondering whats a good rule of thumb for the length you want to take as a clone from the flowering plant? Does it matter much if you take the smaller branches around the bottom that wont produce much bud in the first place? Or should I take a clone thats actually bigger with more buds on it, which I kind of hate to take bud away but I totally like this idea so either way is worth it to me! Thanks for any help that can be passed on to me!

So wen u take a clone from a plant grown from seed still in veg n throw it under 12/12 rite away is tht 2 jus c if its male or female?? Then do i throw it away or whatever, (use it 4 hash etc.) Or can u keep growing it if its female n still get a gud harvest?

So wen u take a clone from a plant grown from seed still in veg n throw it under 12/12 rite away is tht 2 jus c if its male or female??

That would be a very good reason.

Then do i throw it away or whatever, (use it 4 hash etc.) Or can u keep growing it if its female n still get a gud harvest?

It is a perfectly healthy plant so you make choices like any other plant.

I personally don't like to flower little girls, the harvest is too small. So if it's a girl I would probably toss it and take a new non-flowering clone off the same mother in veg before she goes into flower.

If it's a boy, and you want the pollen, there is plenty of pollen in a small boy plant... so I would flower it in isolation from girl plants.

Thanx 4 the info I really appreciate it I'm guna go to the hydro store 2morrow n get sum cloning gel n root stimulater solution n prolly sum rockwool cubes also. I'll post sum pics 2morrow or any 1 cud come and check out my journal (its in my signature the second 1 blazin a trail threw a coco soil setup) and c my whole grow op there any constructive criticism is also welcome as 2 I am new 2 growing an this is only my second harvest my first one was a hydro attempt n did very poor only 8 grams aftr dryd n cured

Here are my to flowering cuttings I had taken at week 4 .
IMAG12295.jpg
Soaked in aloe water for 24 hours, then dipped in rooting powder and placed in a moist soil/perlite mix.
Here they are about 10 days later, showing vegetative growth under 100 watts of CFL lighting.
IMAG12662.jpg
It worked!!!

I recently took 8 clones from the 22 to 25 day into flower range. Seven out of eight rooted in 7 days (did them in both rockwool and rapid rooter plugs with some clonex solution and dipping the clone into clonex gel) and the eighth had a few issues but rooted in 12 days. They have all reverted back into veg within 20 days from cutting. Definitely not bad. Time will tell if the reverting back to veg stressed them in any way.

Back
Top Bottom