What is an idiot proof way to germinate seeds?

I always like going back to the good old basics from Biology class, so many years ago.

Take out the paper towels, place the seeds between the wet towel and let it sit for a few days until you begin to see some root growth. As for the light or dark question, I'm not sure it matters then since it's sitting in a paper towel anyway. The seed isn't going to get any light when it's in the towel.

I also like to put the towel into a plastic bag so that it stays good and moist and protected from the outside world.

Once you have some root growth, then it's time to put it into the growing medium you've chosen. :thumb:

Basics if you want to watch the seed germinate.

However, if you want it to grow in a way that maximizes its genetic potential.....if you want to get more females, if you want a plant that is healthier in every way.....

DON"T USE THE PAPER TOWEL METHOD.

For those who care:
1.)Look up Gravitropism
2.)Look up and learn what feeds a seedling the first part of its life
3.)Look at the effects light has on roots, especially young, tender roots.
4.)Look at what stress does to a plant, especially a seedling.

If you don't care, and are going to just do it anyways.....don't bother. Smoke a bowl, germinate the seeds any way you want and have a great time. That's perfectly OK and like I said, anyone who grows Cannabis has my respect and admiration.

However, for those who want to maximize their results and grow the BEST product.....don't use the paper towel method.

Traditions are fine. But if we always base what we do on tradition, we make no progress.

If you are striving for excellence, ditch the paper towel.

The first 3 days of a seedling's life are the most critical part of its whole growth cycle.

Thanks all! lol thread went from 1 lonesome post to 18 and most of it is different methods even if some of the info does clash, there's still quite a few ways of "growin dope"! :yummy: :goodjob:

DocBud, I've had a bit of an idiot moment and straight away pulled the lid off and after i get back from work, I'll transplant "the baby" into a decent 1oomm pot cause i really need it to get a move on as I've got my previous seedling already on its 3rd set of leaves even tho it took it 2 weeks to get there!

Upcoming male perhaps I've also got 2 clones off my nice budding girl which are still forming roots 2 weeks in (my mates looking at building us both cloning boxes) and the girl is in perfume mode (time for shut doors in share housing!), so I've hoping for an overall SOG grow crammed into my little cupboard for the 2nd round.

Its all gotten a bit out of hand, but if I cant get it to sprout to my idiocy, I'll get it sussed next!

4 plants in 3 sq foot of room lol thats pushing it eh :grinjoint:

Thanks!

Note to self

Lose the lids
Bit more dirt
"Educate educate
No more self debate".:thumb:

ive always had 2 paper plates with a wet paper towel in between and seeds in towel and put it all in dark place for 24-48 hours

I have tried both ways when it came to light and dark.The first time I germed mine on a plate and in a paper towel and placed it on top of my surround sound amp which let the light in no problem.I had good success with germ rates like that.I have lately been using the same method but am now covering mine with another plate to keep light out and have had great success.Not sure if its the dark or good genetics as the first ones were bag seed and the second time was genetics but I can say I have had luck with both ways.Just experiment and you will find what works best for you

I love these threads. thats why collaboration works, many minds working together..... I agree with all of you!

I have been using milled sphagnum long fiber moss (not peat) and perlite for years.
I buy Better-Gro moss and put it in a food processor, then add the perlite (75% perlite/25%moss).

I use R-O water PHed to 5.8 or so.
I flush the mix with 75PPM grow formula .... and stay out of their way.
Thats it until the first spiked leaves appear then its 1/8 grow.

no domes, no bags, no misting.... NO Problems! :)
Its all good.....
TheGrower420

i put mine straight in the dirt with the pointed end down.not to deep i just poke my finger in about 1/8 in. or so and use about a tea spoon of dirt to cover them.i also try an water the dirt before i put the seed in.g/l an happy harvest

Basics if you want to watch the seed germinate.

However, if you want it to grow in a way that maximizes its genetic potential.....if you want to get more females, if you want a plant that is healthier in every way.....

DON"T USE THE PAPER TOWEL METHOD.

For those who care:
1.)Look up Gravitropism
2.)Look up and learn what feeds a seedling the first part of its life
3.)Look at the effects light has on roots, especially young, tender roots.
4.)Look at what stress does to a plant, especially a seedling.

If you don't care, and are going to just do it anyways.....don't bother. Smoke a bowl, germinate the seeds any way you want and have a great time. That's perfectly OK and like I said, anyone who grows Cannabis has my respect and admiration.

However, for those who want to maximize their results and grow the BEST product.....don't use the paper towel method.

Traditions are fine. But if we always base what we do on tradition, we make no progress.

If you are striving for excellence, ditch the paper towel.

The first 3 days of a seedling's life are the most critical part of its whole growth cycle.

I going to have to agree to disagree with you on this one. You make all valid points, but I think you are completely overlooking the fact that cannabis is a weed. Of course the first 3 days of a seedlings life are vital, but its still a weed. I have used a similar method to the paper towel method for a long time and seen great results. Of course I have no idea what germinating seeds for indoor growing that doesn't use soil invovles, but for outdoor... this method has worked fantastically for me, and everyone I know. I think if you can grow a 14 foot plant that yields upwards of 4 pounds off of one plant that is chronic, then you did something right and the "paper towel" method definitely isn't holding you back. There is always room to improve, but I have had fantastic results with my method so I personally won't be changing anything about my method. I applaud you for taking every precaution possible though. The science you spoke of is all very true. But it has never hindered me.

I see a lot of opinions on the best way to germinate seeds. Its one of those things that everyone has a staunch position on. I have had almost a 100% sucess rate with a very simple method (last year was 100%, as was the year prior). Get round cotton pads like girls use to powder their faces. My girlfriend always has them, so its even more convenient. Some people like to scuff up the seed shells, I don't think it makes a difference, I don't. Soak the seeds in some water for a little while, then place each seed in the center of one cotton pad, and place another on top. Soak in thoroughly, but not excessivly. Then place all the cotton pads on a plate or something in a dark closet. Make sure the pads stay moist, in the dark and after about a week check for a cute little taproot pokin' out. I like to let the taproot protrude from the shell about an inch before I transplant to soil. I typically get about 3/4s female. I don't use feminized seeds or anything just seeds I have aquired over the years from different growers. Last year for example I started 20 seeds. 15 of them were female. I had to pull 3 of the females because I was over my limit of 12.

I do think its a little silly to say using the paper towel/cotton pad method is a waste of time though. The rest though is solid advice, but I am gonna keep doing it the way I always have. A lot of people just toss em in the dirt and water it. I suggest everyone find what works best for them, and stick with it.

:nicethread: and nice post DocBud! :smokin:

I'm with you on this, I am a new grower as well as new to the web site. We are a couple of gals that are tired of paying for weeds. I am so happy we stumbled onto this site. I appreciate any help - and look forward to reading posts...

good lord the question was an "idiot proof" way 2 germinate...why are u guys typing out so much???; wet a paper towel(not soaked), toss the seed and fold over; put it in a ziploc and stick it in any clean,warm,unlit area....healthy seeds are ready in three 5 days MAX....its as simple as that...no other methods are needed for something as simple as germination.

All i do is take a paper towel....fold it into 4 quarters (half, then half) Put the seeds into the damp paper towel (wet it first)... Tightly wrap it in a air tight plastic wrap/sandwich bag... then store in a dark warm place. For about 2-10 days u may see the seeds germinating.

Does anyone know if you would have the same success germinating in coco medium rather then soil?

Germination and initial seedling growth just requires water from the grower right? That is to say the endosperm of the seed contains enough nutrients to get the seed to germinate ... sprout, and start growth?

I am just really looking forward to trying this Canna coco (and it's coco a and B nutrient solutions), but a little hazy on how coco impacts EARLY plant development.

In other words, can I germ in coco (the seeds are in paper towel now but only for about 12 hours, so if better i'll put them in coco right away, or soil if I have to). Basically i'm a little sketchy on how the feeding regimen of a brand new plant from seed in a soilless media. I've read the coco FAQs, but like I said, i'm still a bit hazy (or maybe thats just the weed? :p) on the fine details and would appreciate someone's advice giving the specifics.

This place is crazy by the way, the amount of information in these forums is ... mindboggling. I'm a biochemist (definitely not a Botanist though, my growing skills are ... poor), so I have a ... certain respect for the tiny intricities of life, and this forum sure as hell covers those tiny details !

just do it the old fashion way...
I get confuse with people telling me do it this way or that way, and make sure you use a humidity dome..
So I thought screw it, am just gonna throw the seed half an inch the soil and let her do her thing.

Here is how I do it with near 100% success. If they are good seeds...it works great.

Get a glass of room temp water. Only needs to be 1 inch deep. Put seeds in water and submerge them once. They will sink when they are good and ready to...sometimes they sink right away and sometimes they take a few hours. Keep em in the dark overnight and check them next day. When you see em swell and split take a paper towel and fold it in half. Soak the paper towel with the same glass of water that the seeds was in. Now put the seeds on the paper towel and fold in half again so you now have 2 layers of paper towel below and 2 above your seeds. Place this dripping wet inside of a sealed ziplock bag. Now go feel the top of your fridge or stereo or computer...you want something that is very very slightly warm to the touch. My home stereo amp works great as long as I dont turn up the volume. It gets just slightly warm You want 78 - 85 degrees. Also keep them dark. I put a plate over them so its not touching the seeds but keeps em dark. I sometimes also put a thin magazine or few pieces of paper under the ziplock bag just in case its to warm. Check them in 24-36 hours. Wait till you get 1/2 inch tap roots from the seed. Then plant them in seedling mix just below the surface with the tap root facing down...seed on top. I only put 1/4 inch down or less. Now go get a clear plastic cup and put a few small holes in it. Cover the seedlings with the cup and keep em in dilute light. When they pop up I wait 24 hours then put close to light. Keep the clear dome over the seeds for a few days. It keeps the dirt from drying out to quick and protects the seedling from strong fans that are in my veg cabinet. Keep them very close to the florescent light or they will stretch really tall and fall over because the stem is so thin.

Thats a pretty good description of how I do mine and it works great.

Cona

Isn't 1/2" a bit deep? Especially for plants with no taproot yet?

I have no idea really, i'm just asking :p cuz I know people are always saying to plant em shallow (1/4")

Let us know how long it took for them to break ground for you vs. how long it would have taken using whatever method you used before.

I'd like to know if i'm just wasting my time with this paper towel shit :p

If you do it like I do...they will break ground in 24 hours - 36 hours. But this will depend on exactly how deep they are planted. If you read my post is says 1/4 inch down and the seed has a tap root already when planted.

Cona
Good luck

If you do it like I do...they will break ground in 24 hours - 36 hours. But this will depend on exactly how deep they are planted. If you read my post is says 1/4 inch down and the seed has a tap root already when planted.

Cona
Good luck

It wasn't your post I was referring to, I guess I should have used the quote function like I just did now :p

I germed seeds the other day in the paper towel method, 7of8 had a taproot in less then 24 hours. I planted em in promix seeding/potting soil, its been 48 hours and none of them have broken the surface yet. I don't know if I should be concerned, or if i'm just being ridiculously impatient lol.

PS: I know there are better soils, I only used it cuz I plan on growing in coco, and just used this soil for the purposes of germinating and getting a seedling going before moving em to coco (mainly cuz I dunno how/if you can in CANNA coco, which I don't want to just give straight water as that washes away the microbacteria CANNA added to the coco)

Anyways, damn, I type a ... lot ... of ... mostly pointless stuff lol

Your seedling has enough food in itself for the first few weeks reguardless of what its planted in. I would not add anything to the water. I dont even adjust the ph which is 7 anyway...and I dont let the water off gas the chlorine either when I am germinating. The seeds do just great with straight tap water that has sat long enough to become room temp. You do want to thourally water the seeds wen you sew them in the soil. Drench it to the bottom of the pot...of course it should be fast draining soil. Then the purpose of puting a clear plastic cup over the seedling ring on the dirt is to creat a moisture humidity dome...the soil will stay moist longer. I remove the dome when they are 1 or 1.5 inches. One thing that will speed them the hell up is make sure its over 80 degrees where they are. 83 is best with 85 to warm in my opinion.

Cona Cona Cona!!! toke toke toke

Oh yea...put a dime size hole in the plastic dome. You dont have to use the plastic cup...some here will tell you bullshit on my dome...I am not saying its THE way to do it...I am just saying that is a very effective way that has been working great for me.

Check this pic out...I was transplanting my seedling when I accidently snapped the seedling right in half. One of my ICE seeds which I did NOT want to waste. I made this splint from the straw. The other seedlings are twice as tall now but the ice seed is catching up. It just took an extra 3 days to repair the break then it started growing new leaves...cool huh :thumb:

Your seedling has enough food in itself for the first few weeks reguardless of what its planted in. I would not add anything to the water. I dont even adjust the ph which is 7 anyway...and I dont let the water off gas the chlorine either when I am germinating. The seeds do just great with straight tap water that has sat long enough to become room temp. You do want to thourally water the seeds wen you sew them in the soil. Drench it to the bottom of the pot...of course it should be fast draining soil. Then the purpose of puting a clear plastic cup over the seedling ring on the dirt is to creat a moisture humidity dome...the soil will stay moist longer. I remove the dome when they are 1 or 1.5 inches. One thing that will speed them the hell up is make sure its over 80 degrees where they are. 83 is best with 85 to warm in my opinion.

Cona Cona Cona!!! toke toke toke

Oh yea...put a dime size hole in the plastic dome. You dont have to use the plastic cup...some here will tell you bullshit on my dome...I am not saying its THE way to do it...I am just saying that is a very effective way that has been working great for me.

Check this pic out...I was transplanting my seedling when I accidently snapped the seedling right in half. One of my ICE seeds which I did NOT want to waste. I made this splint from the straw. The other seedlings are twice as tall now but the ice seed is catching up. It just took an extra 3 days to repair the break then it started growing new leaves...cool huh :thumb:

I have no plans on giving them nutrients for a while, since I did plant them in potting soil. I just wasn't sure with coco how long seedlings stay on straight water before you start feeding them (and also putting straight water in this coco, which is made by CANNA would flush all the microbacteria they added to the medium, and I don't want that heh) and didn't want to take the risk in case they did need some sort of micronutrient that soil normally offers.

I've watered them with plain tapwater with no offgassing or pH balancing (my tapwater here has EC 0.4 or 200ppm according to my truncheon)

I didn't 'drench' the soil because on the bag it says to lightly mist, mix, mist, mix, etc. until it is just moist, and thats what I did.

I covered each one with saran wrap (not airtight, just enough to capture all evaporating water), and they are all sitting on top of my set top box (which is warm). No idea if its ... 80, I do not use the antiquated imperial measurement system, and never will :)

Thank you for your advice Cona

My method is really complicated but it works for me.

I take a roto rooter, soak it with filtered H2O, squeeze it firmly so it's not sopping wet, drop the seed in, put the roto rooter in a coffee mug and put the coffee mug in a closed cabinet under the sink in total darkness.

2 or 3 days later, here comes the emerging cotyledon. Game on.

That's all I've ever done. And I've only ever lost 1 seed. And that was because I waterlogged it. Hence the added step of squeezing the rotor rooter.

Thanks for the information Doc Bud. Very informative.

Back
Top Bottom