What is an idiot proof way to germinate seeds?

I used to sandwich technique. I wet soil half-inch thick in a sealable bowl I place my seeds on top of the wet soil. I cover the soil with a dry mix a quarter inch. I seal the bowl for 24 hours. I didn't open the bowl and let the lid rest on the top for small amount of air circulation. Over the next 10 days your seeds will start to pop. Keep an eye on us soil so that it does not dry out. I use water sensitive soil that will go from light brown the dark brown water. At this point is very important to give them a little water so I use a measuring spoon and I give him a half teaspoon at the base on the seedling as needed. If you're using soil that is water sensitive it will go from a light brown to a dark brown with water. So when it goes to light brown water.
If you read this post for some unknown reason the auto print change put don't open. this is wrong you need to open it.

OK bro.....here's the straight dope, no BS.

The seed needs to crack open in the dark, which means it needs to be under dirt, coco, vermiculite, in a rapid rooter plug....somewhere where it will not be exposed to light. Amongst botanists and professionals there is no debate....due to gravitropism and phototropism, not to mention the fact that roots aren't supposed to be above ground....seeds are supposed to be PLANTED when they sprout, if you want healthy plants.

There needs to be bright light to greet them the moment they break ground.....really bright light. I put a 40,000 Lumen 8 bulb T5 an inch over the emerging seedlings.

Then there is the issue of humidity:

Please don't trap humidity with your seedlings! Clones are what needs humidity, because they don't have roots. A seedling has plenty of roots by the time you see it. The humidity accomplishes nothing but stunting root growth, stressing the plant and very possibly starting a fungus problem, like damping off, or powdery mildew.

Stress on seedlings favors males! Here's a recipe for males:

1.)Any kind of stress. Sprout the seeds in a paper towel, then drop and injure them as you try to put the emerging radicle in dirt.
2.)High humidity...put a dome over your babies and they turn into big strong boys
3.)Low light. Let 'em stretch, that stresses 'em out and you'll most likely get boys

If you want females:

Minimize all aspects of stress during the first 3 days of the seedlings life

1.)Put the seed in some medium where it is dark, even with bright light shining on it. Dirt or rooter plugs work well, rockwool too. Make sure the medium is moist, not drenched. It needs to stay moist, so you might need to spray it or use a small dropper if the medium dries out. If using soil or a plug, one initial watering outa do the job.
2.)Keep the temp at a constant 72 once you see the seedling emerge. You will see faster sprouting if the temp is warmer, but lower temps favor females!
3.)Keep the humidity at around 60%.
4.)Make sure there is a source of nitrogen for the emerging seedling. Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil, amended with perlite will have enough nitrogen. Higher nitrogen favors females.
5.)High light levels, especially in the blue spectrum favors females. Place your CFL's, or T5's an inch---no more than 3 inches----above the emerging seedling. They LOVE this.
HID's work well too, but you don't want to overheat (stress) the seedlings, so I prefer T5's or CFL's in the blue (veg) spectrum.

People will do what they want and I respect anyone who is germinating Cannabis seeds, regardless of the method they use. The above method is a no BS, reliable scientific way of germinating seeds. It works.
Really good stuff dude .

cannonball are probably healthy and should be germinated."
...UGH ..really???
SEEDS HAVE A WAXY PROTECTIVE LAYER ..its why they resist being wetted and require 14 hours to absorb moisture to germinate..if a seed sinks to the bottom right away..its more likely already moisture logged and or the waxy film is not intact..ie an older seed or stored improperly..i always expect my seeds to float ..when germinating dont go past 14 hours in the glass of water..its risky and serves no purpose..the seed can have enough moisture and still float..dont over wet the seeds..it can cause them to rot..seen it. Royal Queen Seeds please stop saying things that make no sense!
I have to agree with ya on that. Soaking seeds is generally a way to get seeds going a little faster sometimes but can be critical to harming ( drowning ) the seeds. If a seed floats has no bearing on if its good or not. Some float and some hit bottom right away. I have used this method a few times and after popping several hundred ( yes hundred) seeds I can say that its hard to tell if its good or bad by if its floating or ot. Generally a floating seed is better than a seed that hits bottom right away. But better off just put them little ones in some lightly damp paper towel in a warm but not hot area with a dark environment and wait. Usually in 24_48 hrs. most seeds will pop open on their own. I have had them literally grow right out of the shell and have their first little leaves forming. Hope this helps some of you.

20210123_155743.jpg

Back
Top Bottom