What is an idiot proof way to germinate seeds?

To further complicate the matter I have gotten this recommedation from a few seed companies. i.e.
Due to the firm seed hull and large size some of our seeds may require a slightly longer germination time. Most seeds sprout in record time and others take a bit longer. Once the seedling grows through the substrate it will develop quickly and vigorously regardless of the germination time.

For an optimal germination result the seeds should be planted DIRECTLY into the substrate. We clearly advise against using pre-germination methods or soaking. Please do not place the seeds into a glass of water or in moist paper tissues.

This does not mean that pre-soaking should never be used with seeds from other sources, or that we criticize growers who prefer this method. We are aware that some breeders recommend it for their products. But to prevent complications and achieve the consistent level of high germination rates that you should be getting from your Mandala seeds please trust our advice and follow our guidelines.

Please take note that customers who soak their Mandala seeds in water or wet paper tissue do so at their own risk. We are not accountable for any failure in germination or complications caused by this method.

I've had 100% luck with Root Riot plugs. No pre-soak, just drop the seed into the plug and in 24-48 hours I have sprouts. The only thing I do that may deviate from the package instructions is I place the plugs in a small container with my coco/perlite mix and I water the mix to retain some moisture that the plugs can soak up. Other than that, super easy, super efficient.

I looked at your operation very well done and your plants are very lush. I am not there yet which is something to achieve.
:straightface: I have two concerns I will be using soil and clones so 1) does root roit work as well w/ soil & 2) with clones. thanks

I looked at your operation very well done and your plants are very lush. I am not there yet which is something to achieve.
:straightface: I have two concerns I will be using soil and clones so 1) does root roit work as well w/ soil & 2) with clones. thanks

Root Riot plugs work well with soil, or in my case coco/perlite hempy buckets. They are pretreated with beneficial bacteria and fungi. I have not tried to clone with them since I have a 60 site EZ-Clone system and my clones go right in to the NFT system with no media.

The package recommends Clonex rooting compound and says they are for easy transfer into soil or other medium. They are made from organic materials and are fully biodegradable.

A bag of 50 cost me $17 at my hydro store and I highly recommend them. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

I have heard that using a very wet sponge works also. Put seeds on top, in ziploc baggie in a warm dark place and they will sprout. Then I was told to put them in the little seed pod growing thingys. Anyone know if this is true or not? Don't want to mess up my first attempt! New territory for me, so all help is appreciated! Thanks! :wood:

I have done that and it works but now I just put the seed about quarter to half inch in soil and put a light over top and most often the seed sprouts better then any other method. It is idiot proof to me:thumb:

I have done that and it works but now I just put the seed about quarter to half inch in soil and put a light over top and most often the seed sprouts better then any other method. It is idiot proof to me:thumb:

Thanks for the help fog......I am VERY noob, so all help is welcome! Have been reading a lot of your posts to get to the point of lift off. Any steps that I can save (like the one you suggested) are appreciated!:thanks:

I just use folded toilet paper or paper towels in a saucer with enough tap water to cover the paper. I put the seeds in the middle of the folded tp and place the dish on a window sill. The seeds will germinate in 24-72 hours. Nothing fancy. No nutes or hormones. No warming pads or anything. Sometimes I use rain water if I have the opportunity.
Out of personal preference I dont use tp or paper towels with any prints or dyes.

:yummy::Rasta::peacetwo:

I used to do it that way but started getting dud seeds quite often and i think u got it a bit wrong ur way what ever u do dont put it on the windowsill because seeds should be in the dark to germ proper in a:thumb: dark cool place

This is the only way i will do it now no paper towels or cups of water just good ole au naturale way seeds in soil and water get best results iv ever got doin it that way

Great advice in this thread. So much that I am afraid to try any method! I have always used the paper towel in a dresser drawer method. Now I actually paid for the seeds! So I am a bit stressed.
I had the same doubts. Your method will work fine. I give it a little heat from the lamp by placing it just above the fixture which speeds up the process but stick w/ the method you established.

biggest idiot proof way is to just toss them in a glass of water imo :D.

paper towel works a bit better imo. But it can dry out so its not idiot proof.

I've tried all the germination techniques and none have worked on any A strain and better. I've gone through Mango, NL x BigBud, NL Special, Kwazulu, Purple Widow, White Rhino, African Buzz, White Widow, Afghan, Arjan's Strawberry Haze, 60 day Wonder, Sharksbreath, Mazar with no good outcome. Especially with G House coated seeds I get mush inside no matter the medium rock/stonewool, water, soil, or coco fiber. I want to try scarification but went too far last time and crushed the seed. Schwagg seeds pop very easily. They aren't what I need though. Currently awaiting S.Sil. & Lem.Sknk. to cross, Hawaiian Snow, and Himalaya Blue Diesel. Don't even know if I need different nutrient schedules for the three. Some help please?

Stevehman is on target with the root riot plugs. They work great. Keep'em moist and and you should have no problems. We just germinated some in root riot and they had no issues. Sprouted up in about 5 days. Also, we use them for clones and we are getting 100% success rates. Remember that you have to keep them from drying out so if you've not going to use them all, keep the bag in the freezer or at least the fridge. They'll get all nasty and dry out if you don't. Ours molded a bit and as far as I'm concerned that's the end of those. We bought some new ones and kept what we weren't using in the freezer..

I've tried all the germination techniques and none have worked on any A strain and better. I've gone through Mango, NL x BigBud, NL Special, Kwazulu, Purple Widow, White Rhino, African Buzz, White Widow, Afghan, Arjan's Strawberry Haze, 60 day Wonder, Sharksbreath, Mazar with no good outcome. Especially with G House coated seeds I get mush inside no matter the medium rock/stonewool, water, soil, or coco fiber. I want to try scarification but went too far last time and crushed the seed. Schwagg seeds pop very easily. They aren't what I need though. Currently awaiting S.Sil. & Lem.Sknk. to cross, Hawaiian Snow, and Himalaya Blue Diesel. Don't even know if I need different nutrient schedules for the three. Some help please?

If you are talking about getting the seeds to sprout it can be as easy as below. Be patient, it works

Re: What is an idiot proof way to germinate seeds?

I have done that and it works but now I just put the seed about quarter to half inch in soil and put a light over top and most often the seed sprouts better then any other method. It is idiot proof to me.
I also used a paper towel moist in a sandwich bag w/ a heat source (i.e. light from below works good)

Back
Top Bottom