What is bolting? What causes it? And how to stop it?

no it whewn its to humid or has to much water and light are off for long piriods and they get little shoots growing off the budd that are new growth but veg not bud

I've never heard of bolting so I looked it up. there is a site called the herb gardener blog spot. On the site it says when conditions get hot fast the plants go into survival mode and start directing all its energy toward flowering and setting seed. You wont like what they say about dealing with it. If you get a chance look it up . Herb gardener (herb bolting):goodluck:

light pollution during flowering can cause it too...some strains also 'bolt' as part of their genetics.

I've never heard of bolting so I looked it up. there is a site called the herb gardener blog spot. On the site it says when conditions get hot fast the plants go into survival mode and start directing all its energy toward flowering and setting seed. You wont like what they say about dealing with it. If you get a chance look it up . Herb gardener (herb bolting):goodluck:

do you have a link?

what is bolting? what causes it? and how to stop it?

Yeah, bolting is REALLY unwanted flowering, like on carrots, or potatoes, causing the root to suffer loss of attention. Or on Lettuce, or herbs like basil, or dill, causing a bitter aftertaste. A cannabis plant can't really bolt, unless it's during the vegetative cycle, in the strictest sense. However, some here have started to refer to foxtailing and hermaphroditic growth as bolting which, in only the loosest sense of the definition, could it be referred to as such, and then it is really pushing it. I guess they are hanging onto the "unwanted flower growth" part of it. But to me that's calling a go-cart, or golf cart a (passenger) car, and trying to drive either on the freeway.

EDIT
: - In the strictest sense, a Cannabis plant could only bolt while in veg, but the term is loosened to also contain extra flower chutes while actually flowering

EDIT again: After further thinking... I can see how this can be confused... The male flower could be seen as Bolting, because it grows also as an extra growth. But think of it like this. All hermaphroditic flowers could be considered bolting, but not all bolting is hermaphroditic. Make sense?

Bolting (horticulture)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bolting is when agricultural and horticultural crops prematurely produce a flowering stem (or stems) before the crop is harvested, in a natural attempt to produce seeds and hence reproduce. These flowering stems are usually vigorous extensions of existing leaf-bearing stems, and in order to produce them, a plant diverts resources away from producing the edible parts such as leaves or roots, resulting in a poor quality harvest from the grower's point of view. Plants that have produced flowering stems in this way are said to have bolted. Crops inclined to bolt include lettuce, beetroot, brassicas, spinach, celery and onion.

Bolting is induced by plant hormones of the gibberellin family, and can occur as a result of several factors, including changes in day length, the prevalence of low temperatures at particular stages in a plant's growth cycle, and the existence of stresses such as insufficient water or minerals. These factors may interact in a complex way. Day length may affect the propensity to bolt in that some plants are "long day plants", some are "short day plants" and some are "day neutral", so for example when a long day plant, such as spinach, experiences increasingly long days that reach a particular length, it will be inclined to bolt. Low temperatures can affect the propensity of some plants to bolt if they are experienced for sufficient periods at particular points in the life cycle of the plant; once these conditions have been met, plants that require such a trigger will subsequently bolt regardless of subsequent temperatures. Plants under stress may respond by bolting so that they can produce seeds before they die.

Plant breeders have introduced cultivars of bolt-prone crops that are less prone to the condition.

what is bolting? what causes it? and how to stop it?

"Bolting is when agricultural and horticultural crops prematurely produce a flowering stem (or stems) before the crop is harvested, in a natural attempt to produce seeds[1] and hence reproduce. These flowering stems are usually vigorous extensions of existing leaf-bearing stems, and in order to produce them, a plant diverts resources away from producing the edible parts such as leaves or roots..."

In other words, Bolting is the horticultural term for flowering' You have plants that bolt and those that do not bolt. Think of folting as the onset of puberty, and the plant is prepping its body to have sex. You do not want to thwart bolting or the plant will have too small a "vagina" to hold big colas.

You want your plant to bolt, but you want it to have nice thick and wide bud bearing stems. One reason why it is crucial to continue feeding your plants plenty of nutrients during the first few weeks ( during the bolt) because it is trying to build thick, wide cola bearing stems.

Back
Top Bottom