What is going on here? Nirvana Master Kush

Grow17

I won't go on about the problems I've had in the past with Nirvana seeds, but.... :)
This seed was paper towel germinated on 8/3 .Sprouted 8/7 Cotyledons 8/11 1st set of leaves.
It's grown slightly since then.
I'm trying to figure out what's now going on with it.
Specs : Rapid Rooter starter plug
FF Happy Frog
Distilled water 6.6 ph
DSC0036717.JPG

I won't go on about the problems I've had in the past with Nirvana seeds, but.... :)
This seed was paper towel germinated on 8/3 .Sprouted 8/7 Cotyledons 8/11 1st set of leaves.
It's grown slightly since then.
I'm trying to figure out what's now going on with it.
Specs : Rapid Rooter starter plug
FF Happy Frog
Distilled water 6.6 ph
Hi Grow17,
There is not much a plant needs at this stage from you, other than the chance to grow. Even pH is not too critical at this stage, since the main thing needed (Nitrogen) is available across a very wide pH range.

The easiest and most common way to stress a young plant (other than throwing nutes at it) is to water incorrectly.

• 1. make sure to have drainage holes in the bottom of your container
  • 2. when you water, slowly water the soil to the point of runoff, treating the soil like a sponge and attempting to get it to absorb the maximum water it will hold.
  • 3. do not water again until ALL of that water is gone, all the way to the bottom. It is better to let your plant get all the way to the point of beginning to wilt, than it is to constantly keep her wet... this is a weed.

I wrote an article on watering that has helped many new growers of weeds. I invite you to click on the link I have provided; I think it will help.

Thanks, but I don't think it's a watering problem.
I used fresh soil, that already had enough moisture .
My dome covers proved that.
All 5 of the seeds taproots broke through the shell.
3 of them did exactly what I've read : barely sprouted then died.
1 is the picture I posted. The other has sprouted, cotyledons are there, but the shell halves are still attached.
It's close to the end of my timeframe to get 1 final grow in before winter, so I germinated a Liberty Haze seed from Barney's 4 days ago and it's already sprouting in the same growing environment.

I've only watered this plant once, and I used a spay bottle to do so.
I only mist the leaves until I get the 1st set of true leaves.
This is my 4th grow, so I've got a pretty good handle on watering.
Like I said, the Liberty Haze is growing just fine.

please confirm that you have drainage holes in the bottom... your struggling cotyledons already, indicate a root problem.

other than that, you say you used a moisture dome... did you harden off the plant when you removed it? Did the damage occur immediately after this? It doesn't look like that kind of damage to me... looks more root related.

Everything else sounds good... happy frog, rapid rooters, but I am curious still about your watering. Several of your seedlings died... there had to be a reason. You say you misted the leaves.... what about the roots?

I've only had problems with Nirvana seeds.
I know they are supposed to be a reputable company, that's why I bought from them.
Just for a little background :
5 AK 48's -- 2 seeds were successful, I've since cloned them with success.
5 Pure Power Plant, all died after sprouting .
5 Master Kush, 2 are growing.
20 freebies, I've germinated and grew 5 {All males}
Gorilla Seed Bank :
5 Super Iced Grapefruit from Barney's :
Germinated 2 and they are now flowering
All using the same cups and soil.
All of my cups have 8 1/8th" holes in them and drain just fine.

I never mist plants.
I don't like any of the starter plugs I've tried. They usually seem to restrict the root development and hold too much water.
I don't use any fert's or pre-fert'ed soil mixes. Seedlings don't need it or want it.
I don't use a paper towel. Soak seeds for 8 hours and place directly into completely drenched potting mix at about 1/4" deep. Water in lightly. There is no reason to mess with a germinated seed. This is when a plant is most vulnerable.
95% success with seeds up in 3-4 days. No more water needed for at least one week. They can easily go two weeks w/o, if needed.
Unless your water is crap, I prefer tap water to distilled.
Other than that, I do it exactly like you. :rofl:

Have you ever seen a plant grow like the one in my picture ?
It seems like it's some kind of dwarf .

Have you ever seen a plant grow like the one in my picture ?
It seems like it's some kind of dwarf .

Sort of. My guess is it is a combo of the plug, fert's and too much water. I could be way off base, but it looks like it has root issues. Give it time. I swear those plugs do a number on plants. Hate 'em.

Great, I just bought another 50 pack :)
I'll pull the dome off and let the soil dry for a few days

Yeah - definitely no dome. Domes are only for cuttings until they root. Any rooted plant does much better w/o a cover.

So I let it completely dry and have watered once since the original post .
Every other plant {non Nirvana } is growing fine.
I took this one this morning
DSC003729.JPG

You can still use the plugs for cloning. I use mine upside down so they stand on their own. That way they function kind of like mini smart pots that don't get saturated and get oxygen to growing roots.

As for the runt, 'Never give up on a runt' is the lesson of many grow journals including my own. So many weird things happen in the seedling stage that turn around completely in veg.

I've used exactly the same method for every seed I've planted, including peppers, tomatoes and such.
Never had a problem with starter cubes.
No reason to give up on it , there's plenty of room in my seedling tent.
I guess only time will tell.
I'll keep updating this post every week or so.
Thanks for the help .

Master_Kush_Dwarf_1.JPG

It's alive :)
Taken this morning.
I have now started it on Fox Farms Week 1 Schedule along with Hydro Guard.
Quite the difference a week and some food made.

Back
Top Bottom