What is Marijuana and what effects could it have on me?

Urdedpal

Also spelled marihuana, the Indian hemp plant, Cannabis sativa (cannabis), or the crude drug composed of its leaves and flowers. It is usually dried and crushed and put into pipes or formed into cigarettes (joints) for smoking. The drug–known by a variety of other names, including pot, tea, grass, and weed–can also be added to foods and beverages. Marijuana varies in potency, depending on where and how it is grown, prepared for use, or stored.

The active ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), is present in all parts of both the male and female plants but is most concentrated in the resin (cannabin) in the flowering tops of the female. Hashish, a more powerful form of the drug, is made by collecting and drying this resin and is about eight times as strong as the marijuana typically smoked in the United States.

Mentioned in a Chinese herbal dating from 2700 BC, marijuana long has been considered valuable as an analgesic, an anaesthetic, an antidepressant, an antibiotic, and a sedative. Although it was usually used externally (e.g., as a balm or smoked), in the 19th century its tips were sometimes administered internally to treat gonorrhoea and angina pectoris.

The effect that cannabis has depends on the strength, how often it's smoked, how recently it was smoked and how the body naturally reacts to the drug.
POSITIVE:
Mood lift
Relaxation, stress reduction
Creative, philosophical or deep thinking...ideas flow more easily
Increased appreciation of music.
Increased awareness of senses(eating, drinking, smell)
Change in experience of muscle fatigue. Pleasent body feel.Increase in body/mind connection.
Pain relief (headaches, cramps)
reduced nausea (used medically for this)NEUTRAL:
Increased appetite, snacky-ness
General change in consciousness (as with many psychoactives)
Tiredness
Blood shot eyes (more common with certain varieties of cannabis and inexperienced users)
Mouth dryness
Interrupts linear memory.
Difficulty following a train of thought.
Cheek, jaw, facial tension (less commonly reported)
NEGATIVE:
Nausea
Coughing, asthma, upper respiratory problems
Difficulty with short-term memory during effects and during periods of frequent use.
Slowness and delayed reactions, especially dangerous when driving or operating machinery.
Racing heart, agitation, and tenseness.
Mild to severe anxiety
Panic attacks at very high doses (usually oral) or in sensitive users
Headaches
Dizziness, confusion
Paranoid & anxious thoughts more frequent
Possible psychological dependence on cannabis
"Mild" withdrawal symptoms occur after daily use in some users. These may last for 1-6 weeks after cessation of use and can include anxiety, anhedonia (reduced experience of pleasure), headaches, general unease/discomfort,difficulty sleeping, and a desire to smoke pot.

In many countries the use and possession of marijuana is illegal. Don't EVER cross a border while in possession of ANY illegal drug.

source:GrowFAQ © 2000-2004 Overgrow

pot can definetly give people panic attacts... I have see it happen

Urdedpal said:
NEGATIVE:

"Mild" withdrawal symptoms occur after daily use in some users. These may last for 1-6 weeks after cessation of use and can include anxiety, anhedonia (reduced experience of pleasure), headaches, general unease/discomfort,difficulty sleeping, and a desire to smoke pot.

haha yahh i want more weeeddd!!!

I know that we all support marijuana, but facts are facts and this document clearly shows the good and the bad. Bottom line, weed isn't for everyone. I've seen people freak out on the stuff, but it's USUALLY when a newbie smoker that's used to smoking regular stuff smokes a large amount of very potent marijuana. But IMO, it's all in your head. First time I smoked White Rhino, it was a real creeper and after 15 minutes I smoked another joint because I didn't feel anything yet. Then it hit me like a freight train and I started panicking, thinking that something was seriously wrong with me. Laid on the couch, sweating and my heart racing, and swore the couch was trying to eat me. Then, I kept telling myself that I just had some of the most potent weed out there and smoked too much of it. I then relaxed my mind and enjoyed an awesome high.

Good points on the panic attack. It happens to a lot of people, experienced and inexperienced alike. Has a lot to do with the frame of mind you are in at that particular moment, combined with your general attitude and personality. For instance, many of my friends, who smoke, are care-free about everything. I would call it ignorance and being niave (many of them know this and chide me for it regularly :p ), but to them it's just having a good time while they are young. That's a difference of opinion... anyway...
They smoke and almost never get those panic attacks, they usually treat it like they are just drunk and have a good time. For myself, smoking has never been what I would call "fun." It's more of an experience than anything, there's no good or bad, just the experience. Consequently, I tend to ponder certain things, like the ethics of being a pot head, and all that it implies. Sometimes I find myself on a negative train of thought, and since my mind will wander while I'm high, the negativity usually continues and before I know it I'm pretty miserable, at which point I'll realize what's happening and chill out with some video games.

My point is, it all depends on your perspective ;)

I am no new smoke, and I have gotten panic attacks, at first I thought my weed was laced, kater I found it was just me. My biggest problem when I was younger is I was afraid of getting caught by my rents, because it always seemed that whenever I had something good going with my parents I would fuck it all up by doing something stupid, so I would smoke late and in my basement, one day I got bored and was fucking with the smokedetecers, and I was moving the battery around and it beeped..very loudly. Needless to say, it wasnt the first time, but I hate when it happens, now I only smoke when Im in a very chilled enviroment. Panic attacks are bad on weed, you get this like 12 sec haze when moving, or if you dont look around it looks like 3rd person type view, and then you ssnap back, your heart is racing and its next to impossible to sleep. It is horrible, and when it first happens, its scarey, now things don't scare me much, and I have been on plenty of other "things" and have a pretty strong hold on things, but I have to admit that was one time I was scared. Just rember if it happens to you, just remeber its only one night of shit, then possibly a next day of nausea, and over dialted eyes.

Back
Top Bottom