What Is Marijuana & What Effects Could It Have On Me?

SmokeyMacPot

Also spelled marihuana, the Indian hemp plant, Cannabis sativa (cannabis), or the crude drug composed of its leaves and flowers. It is usually dried and crushed and put into pipes or formed into cigarettes (joints) for smoking. The drug–known by a variety of other names, including pot, tea, grass, and weed–can also be added to foods and beverages. Marijuana varies in potency, depending on where and how it is grown, prepared for use, or stored.

The active ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), is present in all parts of both the male and female plants but is most concentrated in the resin (cannabin) in the flowering tops of the female. Hashish, a more powerful form of the drug, is made by collecting and drying this resin and is about eight times as strong as the marijuana typically smoked in the United States.

Mentioned in a Chinese herbal dating from 2700 BC, marijuana long has been considered valuable as an analgesic, an anaesthetic, an antidepressant, an antibiotic, and a sedative. Although it was usually used externally (e.g., as a balm or smoked), in the 19th century its tips were sometimes administered internally to treat gonorrhoea and angina pectoris.

The effect that cannabis has depends on the strength, how often it's smoked, how recently it was smoked and how the body naturally reacts to the drug.

POSITIVE:
* Mood lift
* Relaxation, stress reduction
* Creative, philosophical or deep thinking...ideas flow more easily
* Increased appreciation of music.
* Increased awareness of senses(eating, drinking, smell)
* Change in experience of muscle fatigue. Pleasent body feel.Increase in body/mind connection.
* Pain relief (headaches, cramps)
* reduced nausea (used medically for this)

NEUTRAL:
* Increased appetite, snacky-ness
* General change in consciousness (as with many psychoactives)
* Tiredness
* Blood shot eyes (more common with certain varieties of cannabis and inexperienced users)
* Mouth dryness
* Interrupts linear memory.
* Difficulty following a train of thought.
* Cheek, jaw, facial tension (less commonly reported)

NEGATIVE:
* Nausea
* Coughing, asthma, upper respiratory problems
* Difficulty with short-term memory during effects and during periods of frequent use.
* Slowness and delayed reactions, especially dangerous when driving or operating machinery.
* Racing heart, agitation, and tenseness.
* Mild to severe anxiety
* Panic attacks at very high doses (usually oral) or in sensitive users
* Headaches
* Dizziness, confusion
* Paranoid & anxious thoughts more frequent
* Possible psychological dependence on cannabis
* "Mild" withdrawal symptoms occur after daily use in some users. These may last for 1-6 weeks after cessation of use and can include anxiety, anhedonia (reduced experience of pleasure), headaches, general unease/discomfort,difficulty sleeping, and a desire to smoke pot.

In many countries the use and possession of marijuana is illegal. Don't EVER cross a border while in possession of ANY illegal drug.

Author: Hopefull

how it can cure nausea and cause it at the same time?, how it will put u tense and agitated if it is relaxing u?, u only be paranoid because it is iligal fos stupid reasons and u are afraid of getting caught doing it so is not a negative effect, cannabis sativa doesnt cause psychological dependence your brain cause psychological dependence qithout marijuna cause everything that gives u pleasure u want it thats nature not an effect of weed... im a little against this post... please discuss it
peace...

how it can cure nausea and cause it at the same time?, how it will put u tense and agitated if it is relaxing u?, u only be paranoid because it is iligal fos stupid reasons and u are afraid of getting caught doing it so is not a negative effect, cannabis sativa doesnt cause psychological dependence your brain cause psychological dependence qithout marijuna cause everything that gives u pleasure u want it thats nature not an effect of weed... im a little against this post... please discuss it
peace...

You might get more responses if you used proper english and grammar. :grinjoint:

peace...

Marijuana definately increases paranoia. You do not become paranoid because it is illegal you become paranoid about this issue in the first place because marijuana increases paranoia and anxiety. It is very psychologically adictive, it increases pleasure and makes you feel generally happier (hence why it is used as an antidepressant). When you stop smoking after high consumption over a period of time you are no longer able to feel as happy or pleasurable as you usually would. This is because for a long period of time the brain has become used to not having to produce as much hormones to create the emotion of happiness and hence production is lower. Don't get me wrong, i smoke daily, but you should become more educated about what you are putting into yourself if you want to continue smoking in high amounts.
Anyone agree with what i am saying?

peace...

Owww.. my brains!

It all depends on the person. Different people react to different drugs in different ways. On my first toke I wanted nothing to do with food, but was still thirsty as hell. Watermelon was about all I could get down in the way of food. My friends, though, get killer munchies.

Marijuana definately increases paranoia. You do not become paranoid because it is illegal you become paranoid about this issue in the first place because marijuana increases paranoia and anxiety. It is very psychologically adictive, it increases pleasure and makes you feel generally happier (hence why it is used as an antidepressant). When you stop smoking after high consumption over a period of time you are no longer able to feel as happy or pleasurable as you usually would. This is because for a long period of time the brain has become used to not having to produce as much hormones to create the emotion of happiness and hence production is lower. Don't get me wrong, i smoke daily, but you should become more educated about what you are putting into yourself if you want to continue smoking in high amounts.

As a daily smoker, you really don't have alot of knowledge about it. First of all, as with most psychoactives, your experience depends on set and setting (even though weed isn't as dependent on it as other psychoactives) but when you say that weed DEFINITELY causes paranoia and anxiety is totally false. Every person and smoke session can have different reactions, including anxiety, but saying weed absolutely causes what you say every time is wrong.

Secondly, you are correct that it increases pleasure, I wouldn't go saying its VERY psychologically addictive. Compared to other drugs, it's withdrawl symptoms are very very mild. I've gone a week without even thinking about smoking if I don't have the money to buy any. Yes, it is somewhat psychologically addicting, that's only due to the fact that users like the state of mind and mood that weed produces, not the fact that you crave it.

Sorry if I come off as harsh but I can't let false information be spread around. :peace:

First time i smoked weed I was always paranoid and I thought I was addicted and had paranoia etc but I did basically smoke everyday for like 5 years, then i stopped, now I am happy in myself I don't have any problems whatsoever don't smoke as much but I think people who have problems make it worse in their mind when they smoke. When people are happy they become much happier when they smoke. It heightens peoples emotions for better or worse.

peace...

I smoked a quad a day for 6 months and i experienced nausea when i smoked too much too fast, was paranoid that i was slowly losing my mind, and when i quit i didnt eat a full meal for 2 weeks, didnt sleep for days at a time and my temper was on edge 24/7. not to mention the fact that bud is all i thought about for a month.

My understanding is that different people have varying reactions; just like some people can be more or less sensitive to pain.

It's clear that Cannabis has some addictive properties; I don't think anyone is claiming it's fully benign. It's just that Cannabis (physical) withdrawal has been demonstrated to be, on average, comparable to Caffeine

This photo shows Cannabis relative to other substances.

DrugProp.JPG

I only get paranoid when knowing it's against the law and have to go out in public.
If I knew there was no jail time I would carry a pack of joints in place of cigarettes, have a less painful life and reduce or replace the narcotics I now have to take to alleviate pain.
First two times I smoked I barffed. (I was younger) Next time did the same. (19) Shortly after that I realized that if I did not drink alcohol it was completely different. No nausea, an amazing increase in sensory ability, ie: smell, taste, vision and touch O yes.. There is this awareness that comes, that I've had, that I can't get from anything else. Now I'm 66 and wish the best to all of you. And hope the laws get changed in your lifetimes. I've been signing petitions since 1960 in Denver, Colorado. We always said "Yea their gonna change the law in a couple yrs. All they have to do is tax it, make it not a weed, etc."
Have A Nice Day!
PS I don't smoke everyday, mostly because of the price. When I don't smoke I don't have a craving. There's times I wished very strongly that I had some but usually to change the way I'm feeling. (Pain)
Maybe it is addictive but I have my doubts!

Not everyone will have the same effects. I have never had the paranoia, but my brother on the other hand has had some mild paranoia. My former mother-in-law insisted that Elvis and the DEA was outside her house...
:roorrip:
:hookah:

The first time, in fact the first 3 or 4 times I smoked, back in the 60's it made me sick at my stomach. The only reason I continued was to be in with the crowd. Later I was to find that drinking was the contributing factor. To this day if I drink, it screws up my high. Which is kinda cool cause I really don't like alcohol anyway. But without the booze, the herbal high can be a great experience. (as long as it's good weed and don't blow my lungs out)

I like to use Purple Kush, it helps with my chronic pain. It at first made me a bit on nauseous side, but I use a bong or Hookah and stay away from the pipes and papers. The cooler smoke seems to help with the coughing fits. Maybe its me

Back
Top Bottom