What is the difference or benefit from using soil or soilless mix?

Hi No1Stunna.

Think of soiless as hydroponics light. The medium that holds the roots is not water but some other substance such as coco-coir or a peat based mix. The medium usually has little to no nutrient carrying or holding capability but unlike water (in true hydro) does not require the introduction of oxygen. It has limited ability to hold moisture and I also find it to be a little more forgiving when it comes to PH balancing than true hydroponics.

Hope that helps.

Be well and happy growing.

Nice explanation TanR :) soiless gives some of the benefits of Hydroponic and also some of the forgiveness of soil. I'd say what I like the most is that it drains well, holds moisture well but its almost impossible to over water. (drain holes required) it also gives you control of nutrients much better... It dries faster than soil and in a case that you need to flush, soiless is much easier to saturate thoroughly but not turn to mud... (it's much cleaner too) lots of benefits for sure....

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Soiless is easy to reuse as well

How do you treat it to reuse it?

I'm using ProMix BX with the Fox Farm trio for nutes, but ProMix isn't available in my area and I have to order it so it gets expensive. And it would raise suspicions if I ordered it in winter so I have to stockpile it in the spring. I mix in about 30% perlite and it would be great, and save a lot of money, if they could be reused! ;)

I make sure mine is flushed really good and get as much of the root mass out as possible and mix it into the rest of my soil tote with a little azomite and some castings. I haven't seen any difference between reused and a new batch

Bingo. I do the same thing as madmarv0525, except I also introduce a little lime in the form of calcium carbonate, soft rock phosphate and compost during my "cooking time" which is the 60-90-120 day period in between ProMix BX uses. I water all this down in a big plastic tub and put a lid on it. I try to remember to stir it up a bit every 30 days or so, but sometimes I forget. :blushsmile::tokin:

The peat and perlite break down over time so the structure of the soilless will degrade eventually.
I leave some leaves and roots in the mix to help replace some of that. A little 'N' breaks it down while the soil cooks/rests.

I usually add some Cannazyme after de-rooting. Give it a month with a flip once a week. Then add Dolomite, Chicken Guano and Microbe Brew. Keep flipping and give it a month. Depending on the condition of the mix I might add more Peat and Perlite in this phase. Lastly a nice sweetener to get the microbes fired up. I can usually get a few extra runs out of a bale of Sunshine 4 this way and then it goes to the compost pile where it slowly converts to organic soil lol.

Circle of life complete. :circle-of-love:

The peat and perlite break down over time so the structure of the soilless will degrade eventually.
I leave some leaves and roots in the mix to help replace some of that. A little 'N' breaks it down while the soil cooks/rests.

I think I'm with the Major on this one. Simple is best in my case. If I don't get good results, I'll try something else. That's a lot of ingredients to buy, electro. And a lot of work that I'm not motivated to do.:laughtwo:

I think I'm with the Major on this one. Simple is best in my case. If I don't get good results, I'll try something else. That's a lot of ingredients to buy, electro. And a lot of work that I'm not motivated to do.:laughtwo:

Agreed :laughtwo:

The only reason I use the SS4 is to keep up with things when I can't keep up with the preferred organics. I have everything on hand but time. :sigh:

Back
Top Bottom