What is the min height for a pot?

supr3m3

Can someone tel me what the minimum pot height is for growing a plant?

I have 70 cm height in my stealth growbox not including my lights.
So if i use a 15/20cm height pot i have 50 cm clear room for growing.

I want to know if i increase the width of the pot can i lower the height of the pot?
For example a 30 cm wide pot and 5 cm height.

PS sorry for my bad English

Pretty sure there is no minimum height, some people take clones and put them into flower right away. The height is up to you, depending on your space and what you want to yield, of course the smaller the plant the smaller the yield.

I prefer 30cm high at 10-15 liters capacity, the size of your grow room I'd be growing autos, they are a smaller plant, and smallish too, about 400mm ontop of a 300mm bucket to make your 700mm high roof

lol ^^^ lol 1 foot high to hold 3-5 us gallons, with autos at about 18 inches on top of a 12 inch bucket to make your 2 1/2 foot high roof
...lol

lol ^^^ lol 1 foot high to hold 3-5 us gallons, with autos at about 18 inches on top of a 12 inch bucket to make your 2 1/2 foot high roof
...lol

?

My tent is 8' high, and I routinely grow 3'+ autos in 5 gallon smart pots. I have no space problems. Perhaps you confused me with the OP? Weird way to respond to a post stating that you gave the exact right answer that OP needed.

I believe the Op is asking about the minimum height of medium- like how shallow of a tray/pot you can grow the roots in. I'm sort of curious about this myself- if someone has tried growing in a wide and shallow container.

Cannabis forms a tap root so I don't think it would really be beneficial to use a shallow pot. I have seen great results from deeper than average pots though...

I guess it kind of depends on if you're running organics or hydro too. Hydro can usually deal with a small and short pot where with organics, it's generally the bigger the better.

It sort of kind of grows a tap root, at first anyway. In DWC the roots are just a mass hanging down with no detectable main root. At least it appears that way, I've never grown DWC so may be wrong about that. If they can grow like that hanging down then why not spread to the sides?
It does seem less than ideal. But maybe there's probably someone out there who's tried it. Maybe with some hydroton or something else as a layer on the surface to slow down surface dehydration and prevent any light exposure, and some adjustments in your watering habits, you could grow just fine in a wide 4" or 5" deep tray.

Thanx for the info. I think i will do some testing with my indoors auto flowers placing them in different sized pots. And find out what the best size for my grow room is.

Too shallow of a pot stunts growth, that is one of the techniques used to grow bonsais; the taproot is pruned and the tree is put in a shallow container to prevent it from growing a strong root system.
That's how you get a bonsai, by stunting them into dormancy.

I think the ideal shape is probably something like the standard pot you see in nurseries. A bit taller than it is wide. It sounded to me like you were trying to push the limits in order to squeeze in some more growing height (?). Curious what you find out, anyway

I hadn't thought of that bonsai plant thing. It got me to thinking about the trees where I live. Some, especially pines, which do like to send down a taproot, grow also where there is very little soil, and there they are (obviously) shallow rooted and stunted. But also here are some of the biggest spruce trees in the world, and they only spread their roots along the surface. When one of those monsters goes down in a storm, it's root mass is just like a large pancake on its side, sticking thirty up in the air. I don't know why they like to grow this way, because they do grow in decent soil. Maybe (probably, now that I think more about it) it's because they grow in wet areas. In any case, it works for them- they grow huge.

I've seen some pictures of what looked to be mothers grown in shallow pans. And like Weasel said, there are plenty of trees/plants that grow in very odd places with wide-spread root structures. I'd guess the best grows to look at for shallow pots would be microgrows in PC cabinets. The plants are small, yes, but they are very limited in height too.

Back
Top Bottom