What is this crystalline substance on my organic soil pods?

NoobieBoobie

Gave a buddy all my old equipment and he started a grow (legally I might add, he lives in CO Springs) but he's having a problem I never saw when I grew, but I admit my experience doesn't run very deep.

I'm sure you're all familiar with these types of starter cubes or pods that you put the seed in. These were said to be organic, but I did not actually verify that.

Is it something to be concerned about? He said it feels like crystallized sugar when he picks it off the pod, it doesn't feel, smell, or resemble mold but it does have him concerned. If you notice, it appears to be "spreading" to the clay pellet medium as well.

I couldn't figure out how to upload the image to this post, so I had it hosted on a friend's server:
pod.jpg

That's definitely a possibility, as I think the soil pods were about 3-4 years old. By going bad do you mean that it could affect the plants, or is it just the natural nutrients or whatever drying up?

My question, should I tell him to tear off the "infected" parts of the pod or would it be fine to just leave it?

Most organic substances will naturally decay over time. I don't necessary think it could harm the plant. Chances are, it's some salt buildup from the little nutrients that may have been in it.

If anything, a good rinse may do the job at washing it away. As for harm to the plants, I doubt it could do much. The roots should develope through it eventually anyway so it should be okay.

What nutrients are being used?...sounds like crystallized salts from the nutrients

Does the plant get top feed through the hydroton (red rocks)?

Back
Top Bottom