What is this little guy?

splicendice

Hey all, so I'm growing in Canna coco coir and I've been noticing some plant problems (photo example below). Recently I've found this fly, and I'm wondering what it is. I'm guessing it's causing my problems. Could this be the dreaded thrip?

I'm growing in a very clean space, my grow box is extremely well filtered both in and out. My guess is this is something that came in off the coco I'm growing in, which is a huge piss off. Any expertise and advice would be much appreciated. Photos below.

Attachments

• 20190219_111133.jpg
    20190219_111133.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 78
  • plant fly.jpg
    plant fly.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 70
Not sure if same stuff I grew in this winter canna coco came in bag right ?

Not sure if that is adult thrip but make sure you keep lots of ventilation @NaturalSpirit you grew in this too eh bud

Not sure if same stuff I grew in this winter canna coco came in bag right ?

Not sure if that is adult thrip but make sure you keep lots of ventilation @NaturalSpirit you grew in this too eh bud

Yeah I'm using the bagged shit not the bricks. Never again though. My room has excellent ventilation and is super filtered, also I have no other plants or soil in my house so it definitely came from their shitty fucking product. Really not impressed.

This is absolutely fungus gnats. Make Sure to have a ventilator extra blowing on top of your medium, put sand on top and new pots the bottom to and neem oil, I cant live without neem oil since that No gnats in This garden (knocks on wood)

Let me know If you need more info and thnx for Hooking us Up @Kingjoe83 ,Lets ban bugs forever :snowboating:

I had thrips with the canna Coco too_O now that you mention ...

Oh and H202 kills all the eggs and little larva, the good stuff in your medium gets killed to, but the plant wont even notice

This is absolutely fungus gnats. Make Sure to have a ventilator extra blowing on top of your medium, put sand on top and new pots the bottom to and neem oil, I cant live without neem oil since that No gnats in This garden (knocks on wood)

Let me know If you need more info and thnx for Hooking us Up @Kingjoe83 ,Lets ban bugs forever :snowboating:
Yeah brotha✊

Good looking out @NaturalSpirit

What were your thoughts on using it King Joe?
I am not a fan but it f you put about 30-40% perlite in it maybe it be a bit better .

I will always go bricks now and flush and pre charge my own coco .

My best advice be up your ventilation make sure you keep your plant well spaced apart for ventilation . Also like NS said h202 or hydrogen peroxide it’s brown bottle at Walmart really cheap

Put some of that in your water mix it thoroughly turn as your nutrients always ph last

Also neem oil will kill pest that chew on plants re spray as needed or every 3-4 days

H202 should be mixed with your water tough, not pure :O I tough it was 1 part h202 and 7 parts water, i’ll have to check my notes on that.

The neem oil makes Sure growth of the larva get stunned and it actually doesnt kill any of them. Somehow they really dont like the smell(Its impressively nutty) and the larva grow Will be stunted like a over nuted plant Hehe.

I put Some pure neem oil on the edges of my pot before I transplant any girl in there. Also wash the pot, new or not, with dish-soap and neem.

Its so shiny when you are Done :p

These pics I took last week ^^

Morning guys, since Ive heard Some People about the combination canna Coco and fungus gnats, I send their CS a email to ask If there was a problem with a batch Maybe. Ofcourse Its a problem that can be caused by many problems, but it’s always better to let them know so they can check it right?

When they reply I absolutely let you guys know :high-five:

The one thing I still forgot... Maybe water a little less to... I know Coco need to be moist, tough Thats exactly What gnats love. So Its about finding a Sweet spot :)

Morning guys, since Ive heard Some People about the combination canna Coco and fungus gnats, I send their CS a email to ask If there was a problem with a batch Maybe. Ofcourse Its a problem that can be caused by many problems, but it’s always better to let them know so they can check it right?

When they reply I absolutely let you guys know :high-five:

The one thing I still forgot... Maybe water a little less to... I know Coco need to be moist, tough Thats exactly What gnats love. So Its about finding a Sweet spot :)

Natural Spirit I've read a few of your posts and been through one of your grow journals, thanks for taking the time to reply. I was really hung up on the fungus gnat vs root aphid. What makes you think for sure it's a fungus gnat?

Also please let me know what Canna's reply is. My grow box is sealed tight as a nun's cunt on a sunday, and in the winter time in Nova Scotia with no other plants in the house I know this isn't something that came from me.

Natural Spirit I've read a few of your posts and been through one of your grow journals, thanks for taking the time to reply. I was really hung up on the fungus gnat vs root aphid. What makes you think for sure it's a fungus gnat?

Also please let me know what Canna's reply is. My grow box is sealed tight as a nun's cunt on a sunday, and in the winter time in Nova Scotia with no other plants in the house I know this isn't something that came from me.

Anytime! Not that long ago I Didnt know anything. Thanks to the help I got here I grew along with the plants. Its all about helping eachother here :hippy:

I know for Sure this is gnats because it’s been a heck of a stress moment for me and I Did Everything I Could including checking them with a magnifyer. Please keep in mind any neckhairs you might have stand Up straight with a 100x zoom lol!

If you check online, or on This platform even better, you Will find several pictures confirming This. Also the root aphid had more long wings to the back and a fatter lower body. Besides that, the H202 probably kills root aphids to :slide:

Fighting fungus gnats can be stressy, specially when the box is right next to the bed. In my case I watered to much to. Everyone tells you to water every day with Coco, tough smaller boxes might need a day in between imo. The gnats themself can produce larva’s in days so Some rush is needed probably.

Please keep us posted If you notice Positive or negative results. in both ways we can do This together:high-five:

Anytime! Not that long ago I Didnt know anything. Thanks to the help I got here I grew along with the plants. Its all about helping eachother here :hippy:

I know for Sure this is gnats because it’s been a heck of a stress moment for me and I Did Everything I Could including checking them with a magnifyer. Please keep in mind any neckhairs you might have stand Up straight with a 100x zoom lol!

If you check online, or on This platform even better, you Will find several pictures confirming This. Also the root aphid had more long wings to the back and a fatter lower body. Besides that, the H202 probably kills root aphids to :slide:

Fighting fungus gnats can be stressy, specially when the box is right next to the bed. In my case I watered to much to. Everyone tells you to water every day with Coco, tough smaller boxes might need a day in between imo. The gnats themself can produce larva’s in days so Some rush is needed probably.

Please keep us posted If you notice Positive or negative results. in both ways we can do This together:high-five:

I'll try with the neem oil and peroxide and keep you updated in this thread.

I've also found the "everyday watering" regimen to be a bit overstated for coco growers. I think a day in between is definitely not harmful, and perhaps even more beneficial for the plants. Of course I'm using straight coco (no perlite), so it retains more water than with the perlite mixes.

You're a real solid dude Natural Spirit. Cheers mate, all the best to ya.

I'll try with the neem oil and peroxide and keep you updated in this thread.

I've also found the "everyday watering" regimen to be a bit overstated for coco growers. I think a day in between is definitely not harmful, and perhaps even more beneficial for the plants. Of course I'm using straight coco (no perlite), so it retains more water than with the perlite mixes.

You're a real solid dude Natural Spirit. Cheers mate, all the best to ya.

Please dont forget to mix the H202 with water. You can Also treat it with alcohol, but my opinion Its easy to self pollinate sp better not ;)

Do you have a ventilator at the Coco? I changed it and never wanted to go back ^^

If you have a scale you be able to weigh and Therefore see How much water is in it or needed. Just Some toughts to prevent it.

Lets get This bug free party started:cheer::slide::cheer:

Back
Top Bottom