What is this outdoor bug?

Any2cards

Outdoors in Nor Cal, soil grow. It meanders in the bud zone and moves about very fast on the buds. Shake the plant and they lazily fly around and can easily be clapped and squashed. Seems they like to get deep into the bud and to the stem. I can not see any of their young, poop or larvae.
What is it and what are they trying to do? How do you fight them late in bloom? Thanks in advance, Any2
122108.jpg

Re: What is this outdoor bug???

Seems they are trying to get deep into the buds. Don't see any damage that I can see.

Sorry about the poor picture quality, but this seems to look like the Pupae Thrip.
Thrips are tiny (less than 0,06″ in length), winged insects that feed on the juices of the cannabis plant by puncturing the plant and sucking up the contents within. Although they wear wings, they are poor flyers and depend on the wind to carry them from venue to venue. Their bodies are cigar shaped, with six legs and pointed butts.

The damage seen with thrips is evidenced by silver or bronze colored scars on the leaves and/or stems; wherever they have chosen to invade. The leaves will be deprived of chlorophyll, turn brown, dry and crumbly. Typically, they feed on developing flowers; this is where the damage to cannabis most occurs. Thrips are known vectors for plant viruses, which is cause for concern.

Thrips are more of a threat to greenhouse gardens than those grown outdoors. In either setting, they prefer the cannabis buds as the place to conduct their living habits. If you see burned looking edges, you have a colony of thrips at work. Shaking the plant will dislodge them and send them packing.
Predatory mites and parasitic wasps are natural deterrents to thrips attacking your marijuana plants. Appling good compost mixture to the soil before planting will contain beneficial nematodes which attack any pupae that may fall to the ground. Thrips are not a major threat in cannabis plants grown outdoors. Use neem oil or predatory mites to get rid of them

Thanks Kraw.

I thought thrips but was not sure. I do not have any of the scarring marks they are known to leave but do have leaves with burnt edges. I thought I burned them running it hot so I did not pay much attention to that. Also we are in the end so lots of discolored leaves. I will get some pics up of the burn. Also I thought I would come across a caterpillar when I opened a bud and found some rot.

Most of the pics I researched online looked different. Also the size is around 2-3 mm. They do have a green body.

I use a weekly azamax foliar and used a spinosad application here and there. Outside is war in No Cal and caterpillars seem to be the biggest threat and will wreak havoc if not attended to.

Peace,

Any2

They burrow into your buds and feed off them, they will kill an entire crop. They also poo inside your buds they made homes in, the poo turns to mold and fungus and it destroys your crops from the inside out.

You MUST check for bud worms NOW. Act fast, check all main colas, they like larger buds, but dont rule out the smaller ones. You will notice entry points, almost perfect circular holes they made to get inside your bud. If you are posotive you have them and its at an early stage get Bacillus Thuringiensis in the granular form and sprinkle this stuff on all infested buds. The bud worms will eat this stuff and within 4 days to a week they will all die.

Back
Top Bottom