What is wrong?

ZombieSource

420 Member
It's my first time and i'm already confused, I don't think this is normal but i can't really really find anything about if this is normal. The seed has been in the soil for a week now... shouldn't there be leaves on it already?
Please help!

16081606112276485587766425406198.jpg

That flopped over top (for lack of a better term) is actually 2 leaves that are stuck together. They are called cotyledons. They aren't shaped like the typical cannabis leaf you think of. They are formative and are round. They contain food for the seedling to use to get established. These 2 little leaves appear to be stuck together. They should be opened and...well, opened. They aren't. I wonder why?

Ok so the soil is a little bit moist but not much i think. I forgot to say that the "shell" of the seed just came off today. But i just took a closer look and i can see the "leaves" now i think, it was all probably because of the shell that was on there.

16081622323185765760174858613948.jpg

Your medium isn't moist, it verges on saturation @ZombieSource and you risk damping off (suffocating your seedling.}
Provide air circulation across top of medium, elevate your container, make sure it can drain and don't add water until it truly is barely moist. Not damp, not wet and certainly not saturated. The tap root must have oxygen and must be able to expel CO2.
You also need to lower or provide more light to stop the seedling from stretching. It's reaching for light instead developing roots. Good luck.

Your medium isn't moist, it verges on saturation @ZombieSource and you risk damping off (suffocating your seedling.}
Provide air circulation across top of medium, elevate your container, make sure it can drain and don't add water until it truly is barely moist. Not damp, not wet and certainly not saturated. The tap root must have oxygen and must be able to expel CO2.
You also need to lower or provide more light to stop the seedling from stretching. It's reaching for light instead developing roots. Good luck.
Thanks a lot!

yep,, as stated,, soil much too wet, very clearly,, when the soil 'shines' it is far too wet

and looks like the light can be closer as well

the colour of that seedling is 'way ' off. far too yellow,, tho i could not say why for sure

karma sent to er friend

@skirk said it all there,, among others

Btw guys, this is just a "testing seed". I got this one for free with the others i bought so this one is just to see what i'm doing wrong and what not. Thanks again for all the information i got so far and so quick. I'll post an update in a few days.

Saturated soil is sure death for most seedlings.
@Emilya can help.
Hi @ZombieSource and welcome to our forum! :welcome:

confirm for us please that you have several drainage holes in the bottom of that container. That is so much water in the soil right now that it is going to take that sprig quite a while to use it all so as to need water again. There is also a problem known as Damping Off, and you are heading right for it. Seedlings should not be too wet!

after confirming drainage holes, lets get rid of some of that excess water. Tilt your container drastically toward a drainage hole and wait until a bunch of water drains out. Then tilt it the other way, at at least a 45° angle, until more water drains out.

Then, get a mister/sprayer bottle, and after about 3 days, start spraying around the base of your plant morning and night, with no more than 10 or 12 squirts. As the plant begins to grow, start spraying out to 3x the diameter of the plant, twice a day. When 3x the diameter reaches the outer edges of the container, the plant will most likely have finally been able to use the water you pre-loaded into the soil, and it will probably be time to water the soil to saturation for the first time, and then wait to water again until the plant has been able to drain the planter of all water.

I wrote an article on how to properly water a few years ago that has gotten over 1/4 million views so far, and I bet it will help you too. Overwatering by watering too often is the most common problem we see on these forums, second only to a lack of proper pH management. The links to my watering articles are in my signature.

Ok so the soil is a little bit moist but not much i think. I forgot to say that the "shell" of the seed just came off today. But i just took a closer look and i can see the "leaves" now i think, it was all probably because of the shell that was on there.

16081622323185765760174858613948.jpg
I had one the seed shell stayed on for 2 days I had to pry it off and then it looked exactly like yours. I hope you have good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom