What Jeff Sessions Could Mean For Legal Marijuana

Katelyn Baker

President-elect Donald J. Trump's choice to lead the Justice Department has roiled California's emerging marijuana industry.

Just as supporters of marijuana legalization were celebrating voters' approval of the recreational use of the drug in the state, Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama entered the picture as Mr. Trump's choice for attorney general.

Cannabis is illegal under federal law, and if Mr. Sessions were to be confirmed, many supporters of legalization worry that his past remarks about marijuana could portend a crackdown.

"We need grown-ups in charge in Washington to say marijuana is not the kind of thing that ought to be legalized," Mr. Sessions said at a Senate hearing in April.

Thomas Fuller, our San Francisco bureau chief, wrote on Monday about the fragility of the truce that has existed between the federal government and states that have legalized the drug.

So, what are we to make of Mr. Sessions?

We asked John Hudak at the Brookings Institution to help explain. Mr. Hudak's research has focused on state and federal marijuana policy. His book, "Marijuana: A Short History," was published in October.

- How worried should California's emerging marijuana industry be about Mr. Sessions?

As attorney general, Sessions would have the ability to rescind two Justice Department directives - known as the Cole and Ogden memos - that called for stepping back from marijuana prosecutions. He could also use federal law enforcement power against operators and sue state regulators to block state systems. The only person who can stop the attorney general is the president, and it is unclear whether Trump will direct or delegate drug policy - the latter option being what should worry California the most.

- What's your read on Mr. Trump's posture toward states with legal marijuana?

Trump has made statements that seem supportive of states' rights around marijuana and made others that are unclear. It is also unclear whether this is a policy he will direct from the White House or just let his attorney general steer this ship. It all means, pot policy in the U.S. is up in the air.

- What might a marijuana crackdown in California look like?

First, the Justice Department would likely sue the state to prevent the enforcing of Prop 64. They could use other law enforcement entities - outside of the Drug Enforcement Administration - to begin physical crackdowns on existing operators. The law enforcement efforts would be expensive. The litigation approach might be cheaper and easier - if less effective.

- What does all this mean for the individual consumer?

It would be nearly impossible for federal officials to arrest every marijuana consumer in California (or elsewhere), but if the Trump administration strikes at the heart of the industry - shutting down the supply chain - it would drive producers underground and consumers back to the black market.

JimWilson.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: What Jeff Sessions Could Mean For Legal Marijuana
Author: Mike McPhate
Photo Credit: Jim Wilson

If they crack down.... and it goes back underground... to all my fellow Growers.... we actually will get what are product is worth again...

Sent from my SM-N920V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

If they crackdown and it goes back "underground" the rank and file employees/goons/control freaks in the DEA and the prison industry will sleep better at nights knowing their jobs are secure.

The bottom line here is that the AG has power to influence law and how it is enforced, even if he or she does not actually create it. In this industry, where the specter of “the feds” is always looming, it is crucial that the leader of the DOJ takes a progressive view of marijuana. Every other industry and interest group will be lobbying for their candidate of choice, and this industry should be no different. ____THIS JUST CANNOT CHANGE-- Jeff Sessions is a lier! We must all claim HE WIL NOT COME CLOSE TO WINNING.. not set in stone.. and I SAY IT WILL NEVER BE-- Leave Maraujana alone and go after the PEDOPHILE RAPING AND KILLING OUR CHILDREN AND BABIES JEFF SESSIONS !!!!

This merely the net result of how many lies were told during the election by both/ALL of those functional idiots, MOST of whom were merely ACTING like they gave a shit, whether we live or die. They DO NOT. Trump AND Clinton both changed their stories, as often as the crowd before them. Now, you all get to hide and watch, as Trump does his best to appear like he has some modicum of power, while the real clowns in control, continue to mine all the wealth out of this country (because the sheeple public can't pay attention any longer than it takes to chug a beer) pocket their payoff money, and stash it overseas (APPLE we are looking at you and Microsoft!). The money used to run this country is being sucked away from US, and the elites believe they can wipe us out, without harming a hair on Buffy's head.

If they crack down.... and it goes back underground... to all my fellow Growers.... we actually will get what are product is worth again...

Absolutely my brother. I stopped growing because it wasn't worth the time, effor:goodjob:t and money I could get being forced to sell to those GD collectives, med shops or whatever name they called themselves. Want top notch product, pay zip for it and want to pay out over time as if they have had no capital funding! Frick that!

I guess I should thank you. This is the reason I started growing in the first place.
There have been times in my life where smoke cost more than gold per ounce.
You make it sound like there is some magical property to cannabis to make it worth outrageous sums.
That is ridiculous, it grows in my closet.

Back
Top Bottom