What light will do for 2 seedlings in rockwool ? I have a 1000w HPS light for grow.

pandalicious

So, i've been reading a lot and i notice most people use just CFL's for seedlings/clones. 6400 lumens for veg, but is that what I will need for two seedlings one sprouted 5 days ago and the other 7?
I've got an entire grow room set up for when they are ready to veg - will be doing indoor hydro in rockwool set up, but a bit unsure what to do until they are ready (and i'm not sure when they are classified as ready, from what i've read when they develop their 3rd set of fan leaves? Not sure how long that will take.)

Anyway, in my country I can't go to my local hardware store and buy a light socket that just fits into a power point, so I'll have to either wire one up or use regular 40w desk lamps (what i'm using currently but need to replace).
How many lumens will i need while they are seedlings? When do you think i can put them in the grow room with my 1000w hps light? I don't want them to stretch or burn, but i got given the light for free so that's what i will be using for veg and flower. These are the two seedlings, sorry the images are upside down....
photo_2424.JPG
photo_1482.JPG
photo_3344.JPG

photo_4275.JPG

I think they have been overwatered as they are alooking a bit strange. Any advice would be greatly appreciated for this newb.

Re: What light will do for 2 seedlings in rockwool ? I have a 1000w HPS light for gro

You will be OK with the one CFL for the time being, as far as the 1000 goes, third set of leaves sounds alright to me, If you were to raise the light 4 feet above the plant she would not feel the heat from the light and she could probably go in there now, then just lower the light a little every day. Also if you can get a MH light bulb it would be much better for the vegetative growth phase.

Distance chart.

Recommended_Distance_For_Grow_Lights.jpg

Footprint would be.

High_Intensity_Light_Coverage3.jpg

Re: What light will do for 2 seedlings in rockwool ? I have a 1000w HPS light for gro

Thanks very much, the smaller one has two roots which have come out the bottom of the cube. I think they are getting sick, starting to yellow and the taller one has a brown spot on it - see pictures. I have not fed any nutes yet, they sprouted about a week ago, but i haven't really noticed any growth whatsoever, the leaves have gotten bigger, but growth is very slow.
Here is the brown spot / yellowing and the roots of the smaller plant. Why would this be happening?
photo_2_2_31.JPG
photo_3_1_25.JPG
photo_4_2_15.JPG
photo_5187.JPG

I am unfamilliar with the type of leaf damage you have. How wet are the cubes? Do you have standing water in the tray?

Nope, no standing water, and the cubes are probably due for a water today although are still moist to the touch.

Does it appear to be soft or something that might be on the leaf, or is it damage to the leaf?

Sorry hard to tell in the picture.

That's okay will try to get my better camera out later, but it's damage i think, i can't wipe it off.

Yes it is. That appears to be the beginning of a magnesium deficiency, although they seem awfully young for that. Transplant into your medium if they have roots. Normally I would not recommend nutrients this young but if you can start at 1/16 strength nutrients.

Yes it is. That appears to be the beginning of a magnesium deficiency, although they seem awfully young for that. Transplant into your medium if they have roots. Normally I would not recommend nutrients this young but if you can start at 1/16 strength nutrients.

Thank you very much :) Although i'm a complete newbie, I did think it was quite young for a deficiency, could it have anything to do with my water that i've watered them with? Yes, both have a few roots coming out of their cubes now, will put them in the rockwool slab tonight with the nutrient ratio you've suggested.

I would say it is not likely to be from your water, usually seeds have enough nutrients/minerals to last for a few weeks. It may have to do with the availability of nutrients/minerals during the development of the seeds.

What are you adjusting your pH to?

You want pH 5.8 for hydroponic and soiless (peat moss and coco coir) and pH 6.5 for soil.

Here is a nutrient availability chart

pH_chart7.jpg

Here is a cannabis leaf deficiency chart

cannabis_leaf-deficiencies31.jpg

here is the Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver and the Plant Abuse Chart

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver: Pictorial

Plant Abuse Chart

Back
Top Bottom