What light will do for 2 seedlings in rockwool ? I have a 1000w HPS light for grow.

pandalicious

So, i've been reading a lot and i notice most people use just CFL's for seedlings/clones. 6400 lumens for veg, but is that what I will need for two seedlings one sprouted 5 days ago and the other 7?
I've got an entire grow room set up for when they are ready to veg - will be doing indoor hydro in rockwool set up, but a bit unsure what to do until they are ready (and i'm not sure when they are classified as ready, from what i've read when they develop their 3rd set of fan leaves? Not sure how long that will take.)

Anyway, in my country I can't go to my local hardware store and buy a light socket that just fits into a power point, so I'll have to either wire one up or use regular 40w desk lamps (what i'm using currently but need to replace).
How many lumens will i need while they are seedlings? When do you think i can put them in the grow room with my 1000w hps light? I don't want them to stretch or burn, but i got given the light for free so that's what i will be using for veg and flower. These are the two seedlings, sorry the images are upside down....
photo_2424.JPG
photo_1482.JPG
photo_3344.JPG

photo_4275.JPG

I think they have been overwatered as they are alooking a bit strange. Any advice would be greatly appreciated for this newb.

Re: What light will do for 2 seedlings in rockwool ? I have a 1000w HPS light for gro

A regular 23 watt CFL bulb with a color of 6500K (kelvin) or higher will work fine. The seedlings look fine in their current state. I would wait until you have roots showing through the bottom of the rock wool cubes before placing them under a 1000 watt HPS. It may help you to have a read over the link in my signature for more basic plant lighting information. Don't forget to take a look at the second link as well. Great entries in this months contest!

Re: What light will do for 2 seedlings in rockwool ? I have a 1000w HPS light for gro

Thanks very much, the smaller one has two roots which have come out the bottom of the cube. I think they are getting sick, starting to yellow and the taller one has a brown spot on it - see pictures. I have not fed any nutes yet, they sprouted about a week ago, but i haven't really noticed any growth whatsoever, the leaves have gotten bigger, but growth is very slow.
Here is the brown spot / yellowing and the roots of the smaller plant.
photo_2_2_31.JPG
photo_3_1_25.JPG
photo_4_2_15.JPG
photo_5187.JPG

Back
Top Bottom