What Makes a Good Strain Review?

painkills2

Medical cannabis patients have different ways of judging strains, and this is apparent in how they choose to review them. For instance, in my reviews, I focus on strength. Other reviews focus on freshness or the curing method, and still others focus on things like the number of trichomes. As MMJ patients, with so many different types of symptoms and medical conditions, our reviews reflect what is personally important to us.

But most patients don't post reviews for themselves -- they want to help other patients. So in the interest of making my reviews beneficial to a larger group of patients (no matter where they live), I am hoping to have a discussion about what patients want to see when they read a strain review.

Indica or Sativa?

As a reviewer, I am hampered by my inability to tell the difference between the effects of a sativa and an indica. Other patients explain the difference as a head effect for sativas, and a body effect for indicas. Of course, there is a wealth of hybrids that cause a combination of effects, so I'm just not sure how to use this except as a label. For me, that label alone doesn't tell me much.

Bud Photos

I do not yet have the technical knowledge to take and post my own pictures. In the future, I will try to include a picture of each strain if I can find one, but I will not be able to verify when the pictures were taken (i.e., which batch).

Strength and Test Results

For strength, I've been using a rating system of 1 to 10, but this is proving to be inadequate. I was hoping that my rating system would begin to match up with the THC strength as shown by the test results (when available), but that's not how it's working out. And I don't know enough about testing yet to include this in my reviews, except to point out what the results indicated.

So, I need some additional ideas on how to rate strength within my reviews. Since I have experience with a wide range of pain management treatments, I can use those experiences to compare and contrast those with medical cannabis. For example, I could try to rate strength by making comparisons to prescription medications that people are more familiar with: If I say the strength of this strain is similar to Tylenol with codeine, or to something like Vicodin, then maybe that would be a comparison more easily understood than the 1-to-10 scale.

Terpenes

There's also the matter of terpenes, which we can call smell or fragrance. There is a type of strength in this part of marijuana, but it is unique to each user -- as are most things cannabis, I guess. I'm thinking there needs to be a separate rating system for terpene strength, but I'm not sure how to create one.

Strains like High Desert Relief's Island Sweet Skunk or R. Greenleaf's Lemon Sour Diesel have citrus terpenes that, for me, appear to increase the effects. But for patients who don't like that smell, the opposite effect could occur. Anyway, I'm stumped and searching for ideas.

I don't know if there are other MMJ patients out there who need as much as help as I do, but all I can do is ask for it, here, on these forums. Thanks for reading.

Hi painkills2,

1st off I like your name as awareness to chronic pain...people who do not suffer from this has no way of understanding how crippling their lives can become. Talk about snowball effect medically not to mention the mental trip! Knowing your strains comes over time and picking your strains is something you have to decide what helps you the most....and it might not be what you want for taste but that can be a mute point because your pain is gone. Actually for pain its an easy choice. You need a strain with high CBD's (the best pain med in the world...BAR NONE). Their are more and more of the strains coming out. Cannatonic, Harlequin, Bentley, Charlottes Web, AC/DC are some. I don't know if its me but I have experienced a strain high in CBD's are extremely bitter (tasting the bud), but when it works for pain EVERY time, who cares. Wish they would come out with a strain high in CBD for Indica also.

If your seriously interested for a cure for your pain look no farther than the Cannabis Concentrated Oil. A high CBD strain in Concentrated Oil ( I use Harlequin because it was one of the 1st out, it works and works GREAT). A dab a day dosed correctly will take care of your pain 24/7...not to mention many other healing properties. Just the sleep alone with no pain is a miracle in itself. Not to mention no euphoric and go about your day with much energy. Smoke til your hearts content after you dose your concentrate if you choose, but, smoking will never come close to the pain relief the concentrated oil provides.

Strains??? Sativa = Energetic up feeling, great for Depression, appetite suppression and many Sativa are known for their 'mood' enhancers. Indica for a down relaxed feeling often referred to as 'couch lock'. Great for anxiety, panic attacks, appetite stimulation and one of the biggies insomnia. Used mostly for major biggies like Cancer for its ability to increase appetite ( lost by chemo treatment) & rest.

Then the Hybrids (crossed Sativa & Indica strains). I use some of these mixed with Harlequin to cover the health spectrum...you have Sativa & Indica in one basket. I find one that is Sativa dominant and mix Harlequin as a day time oil...don't use @ night unless you like scanning channels in the a.m. and use a Indica x Indica for night.

Advice...go to the concentrated cannabis oil 1st, get your pain and life under control then you have all the time you want to learn about strains choices, and all the other marvelous knowledge their is to learn. Right now all you need is ONE strain, then decide what you need to add, because chronic pain you honestly don't have a clue what else is wrong until that is take'n care of...it might be the only one you will need.

BTW Welcome to the 420 Forums...bud pictures & other intel can wait ...its your turn to get healthy first !

Hi, Motoco 1982, thanks for responding, and being kind to a stranger. :)

You've made a lot of good points in your post, but I can't respond to all of them without writing a book. (And nobody wants that, believe me.) Let me just say that I am aware of all the information you kindly imparted, even though I don't agree with all the conclusions you have reached.

There is a great article on the current state of the cannabis oil industry at a website from a Weed Activist in California. But, I don't know the rules about posting links here, and I don't want to get banned. It's just such a well-done article that I wouldn't be able to do it justice by summarizing it here. Plus, this guy explains it all a lot better than I could -- and, I agree with just about everything he says.

It would be great if I could grow my own, grow enough to create my own extracts, and have enough left over to smoke. It would also be great if, instead of growing my own, I could afford to just purchase these products through the currently available dispensaries here in New Mexico. That's just not my reality, sorry to say.

I've been looking for that "one" strain that will have enough strength, and will work every time, for quite awhile. But, finding reliable and consistent medicine is proving to be quite difficult, not to mention when I have found a great strain, it's just not always available. And the really good strains? Hardly ever available -- and when they are, that stuff goes really fast. In other words, instead of just searching for one strain, I'm having to put together more of a menu of the best strains because availability is never constant.

So I thought, while I continue to educate myself on cannabis (while looking for the strains that are strong enough to help an intractable pain patient), I will take the time to post information on what I'm finding.

Here in New Mexico, there is so little information -- even if my posts only help one person, in my mind, that's better than nothing. Still, it would be nice if my reviews helped more than one person, right? Which is what I'm trying to accomplish by posing my questions on this forum. And since medical cannabis is beginning to be used by all kinds of patients, for all kinds of medical conditions, all these people will be looking for information too.

I thank you for the welcome, and appreciate the time and thought you put into your response. Do you think I can hope for input from others on this forum?

Hi, Motoco 1982, thanks for responding, and being kind to a stranger. :)

You've made a lot of good points in your post, but I can't respond to all of them without writing a book. (And nobody wants that, believe me.) Let me just say that I am aware of all the information you kindly imparted, even though I don't agree with all the conclusions you have reached.

There is a great article on the current state of the cannabis oil industry at a website from a Weed Activist in California. But, I don't know the rules about posting links here, and I don't want to get banned. It's just such a well-done article that I wouldn't be able to do it justice by summarizing it here. Plus, this guy explains it all a lot better than I could -- and, I agree with just about everything he says.

It would be great if I could grow my own, grow enough to create my own extracts, and have enough left over to smoke. It would also be great if, instead of growing my own, I could afford to just purchase these products through the currently available dispensaries here in New Mexico. That's just not my reality, sorry to say.

I've been looking for that "one" strain that will have enough strength, and will work every time, for quite awhile. But, finding reliable and consistent medicine is proving to be quite difficult, not to mention when I have found a great strain, it's just not always available. And the really good strains? Hardly ever available -- and when they are, that stuff goes really fast. In other words, instead of just searching for one strain, I'm having to put together more of a menu of the best strains because availability is never constant.

So I thought, while I continue to educate myself on cannabis (while looking for the strains that are strong enough to help an intractable pain patient), I will take the time to post information on what I'm finding.

Here in New Mexico, there is so little information -- even if my posts only help one person, in my mind, that's better than nothing. Still, it would be nice if my reviews helped more than one person, right? Which is what I'm trying to accomplish by posing my questions on this forum. And since medical cannabis is beginning to be used by all kinds of patients, for all kinds of medical conditions, all these people will be looking for information too.

I thank you for the welcome, and appreciate the time and thought you put into your response. Do you think I can hope for input from others on this forum?

That is perfectly fine you don't agree with all of my conclusions .... I am interested in the article you mentioned as I'm curious if its about the medical healing of Cannabis Concentrated Oil or all the BS concentrates made, or what?. My advice was simply the healing effects of Cannabis Concentrated Oil and related to chronic pain. In no way I meant you cannot share your reviews to help other patients...and apologize if this offended you. Again only trying to help with your chronic pain.

As far as the link goes, sharing information about Cannabis/concentrates should be fine I would think (check with the rules on posting links). I would think there should be some more input from others. Chronic pain is a biggie and wide spread for sure. I'm on the same page about 'helping' others' so YES if your post can help anyone ITS A GOOD THING. TY

ps...What makes a Good Strain Review? Guess I really JUMPED off topic...sry Brother ! I'm passionate on the healing properties of the Concentrates and truly apologize for going SOUTH on your topic :Namaste:

Well, I'm checking out the forum rules, and it looks like I've already broken one (oops!):

"Co-ops, Collectives, Dispensaries & Delivery Services are expected to comply with all of our Forum Posting Guidelines. Posts pertaining to other substances, including drugs, alcohol or tobacco are not permitted. Posts soliciting any of the aforementioned shall be deleted and the posting member potentially banned." (Bold emphasis mine.)

Do my mentions of Vicodin and codeine fall within this description? (shrug) (Look, I just did it again!)

And here's what the rules say about links:

"We do not allow either recommending, linking to, or discussions of other Cannabis related forums/communities, blogs, listings, or other networking oriented communities such as Facebook, MySpace, or Twitter."

Since the Weed Activist's website could be considered a blog, perhaps it is better if I don't post it. Maybe play around in Google?

If you do find the website, I have to warn you: For someone who is obviously passionate about cannabis oil, it is not good news. But, considering these products are so new and under-regulated, what the Weed Activist found was not surprising.

And, dude, you didn't offend me -- now it's my turn to apologize for giving you that impression. :)

I will agree that you went off-topic, but I don't ever mind doing that. It's what cannabis lovers are famous for. (If I knew how to post a meme, I could really make you laugh right now.)

Its all good painkills2... I don't think Skunkpharm falls into the catergory of Facebook, Twitter or My Space. I've seen many educational vids and blogs on these forums. I thought it meant Cannabis related blogs where not allowed on their blogs?? Maybe a Mod could step in and clarify for us. I'll do some google searching on your topic. BTW I could always use a good laugh Compadre!

Hey, Motoco 1982, do you like your humor a little... bawdy? If so, check out my latest attempt at meme comedy over at The Weed Blog.

Back
Top Bottom