What must i do?

TitanEntity

Hey guys. So here in the picture below is a recent picture of a 9 week vegged plant. I decided to flower based on the mere fact that the plant is half the height of my grow box. I understand that when flowering, a plant will double in length. So based on this fact i decided yesterday that i should commence flowering as i do not want to encounter any space issues.

I sent the same picture below to a friend who is far more knowledgable about growing then myself, he suggested i do not flower yet. He said the plant is far to thin, and small. He suggested i top and keep it in veg. When i told him that the plant was 9 weeks into veg he said on that basis its to late. ?

What do you guys think i should do? I will try take and upload better pictures later today

fc199fc2aef541956ae1153da46df441.jpg

I'm not sure what he meant by it's 'too late'. You can veg a photo plant as long as you like.
I do agree that it looks a little weak. It's healthy though in the sense that it's not diseased or showing any issues other than being underfed and probably underlit.
I would try to solve those issues and get some more colour into the leaves before flowering. Yes you can always tie it down if it gets taller. There's no reason you can't grow it for longer and keep it the same height.

What methods do you suggest i use to keep the plant low and make it bushy? Would you recommend i top it? And if need be - how many nodes down from the top should i shave off? I understand if this picture makes it hard for you to answer that question.

Should i purchase a wire mesh and string and tie down the plant? Have you got any online material you know of that you could forward to me to read?

Thank you so much for the input!

Go to YouTube and type in List and scrogging. Something will come up about this exact subject. Gives you a chance to see others set ups for inspiration also. Double barrel. .

I think you should focus on the lighting and feeding first. Lst, topping, and scrogging, are all ways to flatten out the plant after it gets healthier and grows more . But not necessary before.
Your cfls, at least in the photo, look like they're kind of far away. I don't use them much but I think they can get up to an inch away before burning- and should be as close as possible.
Not sure about the distance for the led bulbs.

I think you should focus on the lighting and feeding first. Lst, topping, and scrogging, are all ways to flatten out the plant after it gets healthier and grows more . But not necessary before.
Your cfls, at least in the photo, look like they're kind of far away. I don't use them much but I think they can get up to an inch away before burning- and should be as close as possible.
Not sure about the distance for the led bulbs.

Yeah the lighting is my biggest issue, i have been using the single 160watt cfl with reflector hood up until yesterday. Now i added 8 20watt 2600k bulbs to supplement the 160watt 6500k cfl above. The idea is that the side cfls will help light up the lower areas of the plant.

I think i should try and do some lst on this girl and bend her down on some mesh wire with string. I'l take a look at the videos above as well. I will veg for another week to give my self time to get prepared for flowering and then once i'm good to go il imitate flowering.

If it has been vegging for 3 months... it is on the small side. Have you been using nutrients? What kind of soil is that?

The great part about indoor growing is, you can flip to flower whenever you want... but you can also keep it in veg as long as you want. Are you certain this plant is female? Is it from seed or a clone?

If your grow space only allows for twice the height of the plant's current measurements... its definitely time to switch to flower though. Your plant doesn't look unhealthy. Just looks like it could use more nutrients. It is definitely Sativa dominant going by its shape and that means it will stretch... a lot.

Edit: Typed up this comment while working so didn't see all the replies above.... What they said... But I am still curious as to one fact... are you certain that it is female?

I'm going to be the odd ball and ask ya about the size of your pot?
I vegged a plant for 3+ months but it stayed in a 1/1.5 gallon pot and it looked similar to yours, as in, thin/scrawny stems and lack of growth; once I transplanted to a bigger pot she got stronger.

Honestly don't know if it's the same issues here. not enough information about your grow

If it has been vegging for 3 months... it is on the small side. Have you been using nutrients? What kind of soil is that?

The great part about indoor growing is, you can flip to flower whenever you want... but you can also keep it in veg as long as you want. Are you certain this plant is female? Is it from seed or a clone?

If your grow space only allows for twice the height of the plant's current measurements... its definitely time to switch to flower though. Your plant doesn't look unhealthy. Just looks like it could use more nutrients. It is definitely Sativa dominant going by its shape and that means it will stretch... a lot.

Edit: Typed up this comment while working so didn't see all the replies above.... What they said... But I am still curious as to one fact... are you certain that it is female?

Its an organic pro mix soil, i'm not certain what exactly it's all made entirely up of, but its a decent soil from what i've been told locally.

I've got some bioBizz bio grow bio flower and fish mix. I have epsom salts and blackstrap molasses. I had been feeding initially but was burning them so i slacked off and only dosed them every 2 weeks after that. I have been using full strength mixtures - perhaps that is also a contributing factor.

I don't know my ph, i might have lock out. I am using RO water with a ph of 6.8 illegibly.

My lighting has been poor from the start. I have been supplementing 12 hours of natural sunlight with 6 hours of unnatural. The lights for the entire 3 months was just 1 160watt 6500k and 1 20watt 6500k cfl. This is also most likely a contributing factor.

Unfortunately money is an issue, and electricity is expensive in south africa.

So i decided i'm going to veg for another 2-3 weeks, try feed more regularly but lighter doses, increase my light wattage and duration.

Picture below is the only evidence i have of it being female

736413218101c8129dcf62c100bfd3c6.jpg

What do you think ?

I'm going to be the odd ball and ask ya about the size of your pot?
I vegged a plant for 3+ months but it stayed in a 1/1.5 gallon pot and it looked similar to yours, as in, thin/scrawny stems and lack of growth; once I transplanted to a bigger pot she got stronger.

Honestly don't know if it's the same issues here. not enough information about your grow

Pot size is small, 20cm. Not sure what that is in gallons, i think it could be a reason the growth has stunted, it is quite a small pot, and roots have gone to the bottom and poke out the drainage holes

Pot size is small, 20cm. Not sure what that is in gallons, i think it could be a reason the growth has stunted, it is quite a small pot, and roots have gone to the bottom and poke out the drainage holes
I looked it up on Google and it says 18-20cm=1 gallon, that's an insanely small pot for a plant as old as yours, transplant it into a 3 or 5 gallon and i bet your plant gets stronger, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom