What parts to use?

Beateo

Hi everyone... This question will probably prove that I'm VERY new to all of this. :)
I've read a lot on this forum about flowers, buds, trich.... somethings... words I don't even know what they mean. My question is, when my plants are all finished, assuming they're female plants, are there parts of the plant that I DON'T want to smoke? I remember back in the late 60's early 70's we'd be pissed if the weed had too many "stems and seeds", but other than that, I thought the rest was just the dried leaves??? Any incite from the old pros will be appreciated! Thanks.

yup, new. lol... Its like an apple tree, you dont want stem, leaves or anything but the fruits....in other words, if they are female, they will produce flowers (buds), all you want is the buds, trim off all leaves from around the bud, and trim the bud off of the main stem. Once you get going and flowering your plant (if its female) it will start producing little hairs (pistils) at the nodes (where the branches split). these hairs will continue to multiply so there will be lots of them, the closer you are to being finished, those hairs will pull back into their calyx (little green pod type growth that the hairs are coming out of). These calyx's will swell up and this is what forms your buds, assuming you dont get the hairs pollinated the calyx just swells, if you get them pollinated, they will swell up and build a seed. As the bud sites grow you will get little leaves in there that you will just trim off when your done your grow and the plant has dried. It will make more sense the more you read or the further you get into your grow. Also, if your this new, you need to worry more about the grow for now than the finished product. good luck

go4snypr,
That was a great response! You have explained so much to me in language a newcomer can understand, without wandering all over the place :) I'll be ordering my seeds this Thursday and stick to worrying about the grow. One last question about this though.... is there NO THC in the leaves? I mean, do I just compost them? Thanks.

There is a THC content, especially on the little leaves around the buds, the big shade leaves are not a great source though. If your into cooking you can make all of your shake into cannabutter, or if you have hash bags you can use the rest of the plant for making hashish or oil.

good luck man! maybe you should buy autos for your first grow?

Just my opinion but I would never recommend an auto to a first time grower, they are sensitive to stresses, and more sensitive to nutrients.

Autos have smaller yields and are typically less potent according to my research. I suspect someone will chime in, I grow autos and get great yields and mine are potent, and that is great for you, but this is advice for a first time grower not an experienced grower like you.

Again this is just my opinion.

yeh your correct they are less forgiving,
but if i was new to growing,and had not even grown a lettuce before ( i dont know if beateo has grown veggys or anything ?) then at least with an auto you can literally just put the seed in a pot, with good soil, and watch it grow.. even just on the window sill, and get atleast 8 grams dry.. easy peasy :)

Its like studyng the bonsai tree before climbng the oak :)

oh yeah beateo, with nutrients, its better to use organic ones as they have more of a margin for error..

i personally usa canna bio, or bio bizz nutrients.. but hey, can always make your own too :)

i have seen terrible things of new growers and strong nurients!

LOL.... I'm a Pennsylvania hillbilly. I have acreage and grow just about everything you can grow to eat. We grow or shoot much of what we eat. I throw seeds in the ground or put in the started greenhouse plants and basically fertilize occasionally and water once a week if it don't rain, and keep the weeds down. In 30 years of living here I've never once had concerns about lighting, CO2, scrubbing air, exhausting heat, and the hundreds of other things I see discussed here! :) It seems kind of overwhelming for a new comer! I do think it can't REALLY be that damn hard or no one would be able to grow the stuff in a closet! After all, it is just a plant.. right? lol

Yes, it's just a plant. All the techy talk you hear is trying to improve upon what you can do naturally. By playing with light, air, heat management, and the like, we can recreate or IMPROVE upon what the sun can do.

Yes, it's just a plant. All the techy talk you hear is trying to improve upon what you can do naturally. By playing with light, air, heat management, and the like, we can recreate or IMPROVE upon what the sun can do.

well said Srilania..

Beateo -- well nice one :) im all for the self sustainable living way of life! fuck man, grow outdoors, your a farmer :)

youll be fine with regular feminized seeds,i would start with say 10 lots of JUST females seeds (buy nice ones, spend some cash :) )

start them in a nice micro climate, moist and warm then when they are plantlets you can put them out in the field!

and the rest will be done with the sun and your green thumb :)

I grow autos because i love skunk, and love trying different strans, so i get autos mainly to try weeds.. saves going to amsterdam on the regular lol..

hey can i ask when was the last time that you smoked? i mean that im under the impression that you havent smoked since the 70`S and now its not garss , its skunk , quite a different smoke.. you put a garm in a joint and you would know about it alright hahahaha

I smoked a few times since the 70's. A very LONG gap though... I smoke a few times since 2009 when I retired. I worked in law enforcement and was regularly tested.....that sucked but I had a family to support! I was forced to take Rx narcotics for pain and those are bad news for me. Now, I'm retired, kids are all grown up and moved out, and the wife is cool with the whole thing because she's a chronic pain sufferer too. In fact, she's had more surgery than I have! Wow! I hope you understand why I'm confused about so much? Oh, one last thing.... you're right.. what I've smoked since '09 is NOTHING like what I smoked in the 60's & 70's! :)

hey beateo how is it going, are you shopping for seeds ? :)

I was shopping for some seed and deciding what to do about my bank's policy on Great Britain.... but I got ahold of some good weed and really enjoyed the last few days. THIS is what retirement should be! Any reliable seed banks that are closer to Pennsylvania?

I smoked a few times since the 70's. A very LONG gap though... I smoke a few times since 2009 when I retired. I worked in law enforcement and was regularly tested.....that sucked but I had a family to support! I was forced to take Rx narcotics for pain and those are bad news for me. Now, I'm retired, kids are all grown up and moved out, and the wife is cool with the whole thing because she's a chronic pain sufferer too. In fact, she's had more surgery than I have! Wow! I hope you understand why I'm confused about so much? Oh, one last thing.... you're right.. what I've smoked since '09 is NOTHING like what I smoked in the 60's & 70's! :)

Hello BEATEO. Welcome back to the world of POT. Great intro!

Autos aren't hard.. You say about nutes but they really don't need it from seeing and experience they prefer no nutes just a more food based soil throughout, obviously you don't need to pit them into flower they do that thereselves and you can still get an ounce of a plant.. I would start with autos less smelly smaller plants there just simple.. No work really photos are a lot more work

your best bet is to look on the site sponsor seed banks beateo :) i would get say 20 autos, 2 each of whatever strain you like the description of! and then for sure you will get free photoperiod females as a gift to play with :)

Back
Top Bottom