420 Magazine Background

What pH if mixing soil and coco?

TheFertilizer

Right now I have 4 clones going in FFHF soil, and I have another set of clones that I'm going to rush into flower with a coco/hempy trial run. I have been excited to try coco for a while, and I plan to veg these other FFHF plants for long enough that if I like the results of coco, I will be able to transplant the plants into coco.

But if I did that what pH would I need to keep the pots at? That of soil or that of coco?

TorturedSoul

Member of the Month: May 2009, Oct 2010, Sept 2017
My opinion: Coco coir, alone, should not be allowed to dry out completely, and is a hydroponic medium. Aim for a pH of 5.8 or 5.9. If, on the other hand, you are merely adding coco coir to soil (or "soil"), then it's just that, a soil supplement, and you'd still treat the result as soil - and aim for a pH of 6.5.

gr865

Right now I have 4 clones going in FFHF soil, and I have another set of clones that I'm going to rush into flower with a coco/hempy trial run. I have been excited to try coco for a while, and I plan to veg these other FFHF plants for long enough that if I like the results of coco, I will be able to transplant the plants into coco.

But if I did that what pH would I need to keep the pots at? That of soil or that of coco?
I agree with TS, and not sure what your doing.
You say you have clones in soil but the clones you have for the coco hempys are grown in what? I would not transplant clones that are in soil to coco, recipe for problems. Take clones from the plants in soil, start them in coco then transplant.
Good luck there buddy, we are here to help if needed.

GR

TheFertilizer

I have these 4 girls in 1 gallon of soil each, and more rooting in the cloner in front of them. The clones that are rooting I am going to try coco for the first time. The 4 girls in soil are destined for a very large veg, hoping to fill my tent with them.

I am going to do a really quick flowering in coco with the clones rooting now, and once done the first 4 plants will have been vegging for about 4 months and will probably need to be transplanted into larger pots. I am just guessing but by that point I figure they will be in 3 or 5 gallon pots.

So if I took a 3 or 5 gallon root ball of soil, could I transplant it into a 7 gallon bucket with coco and pH it as if it were soil? The coco doesn't need to feed, just provide extra space for the roots.

Mainly asking because I discovered coco is actually cheaper than my soil that I like. So I am just hoping there would be nothing wrong with transplanting a soil root ball into coco. I know it doesn't really take advantage of the coco, but it would be simpler to only need to buy and store the coco vs coco and soil.

Top Bottom