What pH if mixing soil and coco?

TheFertilizer

Right now I have 4 clones going in FFHF soil, and I have another set of clones that I'm going to rush into flower with a coco/hempy trial run. I have been excited to try coco for a while, and I plan to veg these other FFHF plants for long enough that if I like the results of coco, I will be able to transplant the plants into coco.

But if I did that what pH would I need to keep the pots at? That of soil or that of coco?

My opinion: Coco coir, alone, should not be allowed to dry out completely, and is a hydroponic medium. Aim for a pH of 5.8 or 5.9. If, on the other hand, you are merely adding coco coir to soil (or "soil"), then it's just that, a soil supplement, and you'd still treat the result as soil - and aim for a pH of 6.5.

Right now I have 4 clones going in FFHF soil, and I have another set of clones that I'm going to rush into flower with a coco/hempy trial run. I have been excited to try coco for a while, and I plan to veg these other FFHF plants for long enough that if I like the results of coco, I will be able to transplant the plants into coco.

But if I did that what pH would I need to keep the pots at? That of soil or that of coco?

I agree with TS, and not sure what your doing.
You say you have clones in soil but the clones you have for the coco hempys are grown in what? I would not transplant clones that are in soil to coco, recipe for problems. Take clones from the plants in soil, start them in coco then transplant.
Good luck there buddy, we are here to help if needed.

GR

I have these 4 girls in 1 gallon of soil each, and more rooting in the cloner in front of them. The clones that are rooting I am going to try coco for the first time. The 4 girls in soil are destined for a very large veg, hoping to fill my tent with them.

I am going to do a really quick flowering in coco with the clones rooting now, and once done the first 4 plants will have been vegging for about 4 months and will probably need to be transplanted into larger pots. I am just guessing but by that point I figure they will be in 3 or 5 gallon pots.

So if I took a 3 or 5 gallon root ball of soil, could I transplant it into a 7 gallon bucket with coco and pH it as if it were soil? The coco doesn't need to feed, just provide extra space for the roots.

Mainly asking because I discovered coco is actually cheaper than my soil that I like. So I am just hoping there would be nothing wrong with transplanting a soil root ball into coco. I know it doesn't really take advantage of the coco, but it would be simpler to only need to buy and store the coco vs coco and soil.

I have these 4 girls in 1 gallon of soil each, and more rooting in the cloner in front of them. The clones that are rooting I am going to try coco for the first time. The 4 girls in soil are destined for a very large veg, hoping to fill my tent with them.

I am going to do a really quick flowering in coco with the clones rooting now, and once done the first 4 plants will have been vegging for about 4 months and will probably need to be transplanted into larger pots. I am just guessing but by that point I figure they will be in 3 or 5 gallon pots.

So if I took a 3 or 5 gallon root ball of soil, could I transplant it into a 7 gallon bucket with coco and pH it as if it were soil? The coco doesn't need to feed, just provide extra space for the roots.

Mainly asking because I discovered coco is actually cheaper than my soil that I like. So I am just hoping there would be nothing wrong with transplanting a soil root ball into coco. I know it doesn't really take advantage of the coco, but it would be simpler to only need to buy and store the coco vs coco and soil.
Personally, I wouldn't do all that. Why not just stick with your soil? Starting off in coco would preferably be better, and you probably wouldn't run into any issues that way bud. Not trying to tell you your business, just speaking from personal past experiences is all. Good luck.

Your pH question is interesting. Even better are the various ways your project could be put together which adds to the interest. It sounds like what I would come up with as something to try when I have excess clones and no room in the flowering tent. Or, when I have room in the tent and just want to sacrifice a few clones because I asked myself a question.;)''

I cannot tell for sure based on the last paragraph of your earlier msg but here are what sounds like the two options.

If I am understanding right you will be having a layer of coco surrounding the original root ball? If a layer of coco around the original root ball then I figure the roots would be going into it because they are looking for water and food sources. It would work if the amount of soil and soil fertilizing is enough to maintain the plant as if there was no layer of coco. But, if the soil can handle the fertilizing needs then why transplant to a larger pot and substitute with coco. No matter what, there could be the added need to maintain an "everyday" moisture level for that layer which is not needed in a soil grow.

Or, are you planning on doing some root pruning and crumbling up of the original root ball and then replanting in a mix of coco and soil? That might be easier to maintain as far as moisture and nutrient levels go.

Mainly asking because I discovered coco is actually cheaper than my soil that I like.
The way I see it, it is a situation similar to the costs associated with LED lights? The LED lights cost more up front but throughout their lifetime the actual electricity costs, the lower cooling needs & costs, and the versatility of the light spectrum make them a much better choice when costs/money are concerned.

The coco might cost less up front but there are costs, mostly in growers time, that are not part of soil growing. Coco needs near daily adjusting of water pH and the actual watering. Soil can maintain a moisture level for several days especially if the amount of soil can match the size of the plant. With coco there seems to be more of a need for a fertilizing schedule. Soil has the potential to have all the needed nutrients built in the medium meaning a water only grow.

Your project is interesting. There are many ways of looking at pulling it off. Up to you but you could fine tune your options and call Fox Farm. You are already using their soil and it might be the sort of question they have already been asked and they might have several options that either of us might have thought about.

There are a lot of commercial soils that have coco as part of the mix, for better water retention. Having coco along with the soil does not automatically change the pH requirements for your incoming fluids. The general rule in these hybrid mixes is to go with whatever is 70% or more of the overall mix, in your case soil. Treat the whole thing as soil, especially since after your final transplant, 70-90% of your roots are going to be living in soil, and the roots that do extend down and out into the coco, will be able to adjust.

When I switched from soiless to coco I rinsed as much dirt off the rootballs as I could, then plonked them into the coco. pH feeds to 5.8, no problems, and I've never looked back. I sucked in mud, but coco is a breeze :)

Back
Top Bottom