What should i use for a 2 by 2 5'3 grow tent?

blakieblaze

hi i am new to growing and been growing in my closet but have had some problems with things and not much room i am wondering if anyone can let me kno what i should use for a set up i was thinking a 400 watt hps light system i am also wondering what else i need for the ventening for the tent and light for temp control and humidity control as well?? any ideas or help?? thank you!!! hope to get some tips!!!

Re: what should i use for a 2 by 2 5'3 grow tent??

I wouldn't use a 2x2 .... that's just too small. You'll need a fan/carbon filter, light, oscillating fan, etc .... by the time you get it all set up, it'll be so crowded you'll be lucky to have enough room for 1 plant. I would get at least a 4 x 4 tent and use a cool tube to keep the temps down. Then you'll have enough room for 4 to 6 plants.

I agree with Mutt, that small size is tough... But, it can be done if it must. 400w HPS would be a great flower lamp for in there, but it will be crowded and require good exhaust. LED's or flouros would also work, and run cooler/take less space - though they don't produce as big of flowers. I wouldn't grow more than one plant in a tent that big though, and I would flip to flower pretty quickly. I grew in a space that small for a bit - and it can be done, but I'm happy to have more space now as Mutt wisely suggests... :goodluck:

thank so i should go with a 4x4 tent then and a 400 watt mh/hps lighting system thats air cooled tube hood?? and ya 6 inch inline fan and carbon filter combo odor control kit will work?? and a regular fan as well?? would i need anything else?? Thank you and any more advice will be awesome as well!!! Ill keep you posted and put pics up once i have everything thank you again!!!

also you ever hear of royalqueenseed.com?? any good with shipping to us??

thank so i should go with a 4x4 tent then and a 400 watt mh/hps lighting system thats air cooled tube hood?? and ya 6 inch inline fan and carbon filter combo odor control kit will work?? and a regular fan as well?? would i need anything else?? Thank you and any more advice will be awesome as well!!! Ill keep you posted and put pics up once i have everything thank you again!!!

If you can do 4x4, you might want to do a 600w with air-cooled hood. If it were me and I had the $$, I'd go 600w digital ballast. MH bulb for veg stage, HPS for bloom. 200-300 cfm exhaust fan/filter is probably good. With a circulating fan as well. Other than that, you just need a few plants, some soil or a hydro system I think... I'd make sure temps are in order and everything's working good before adding plants. But, that would be a very nice system.

I'm not familiar with royalqueenseed sorry! :goodluck:

alright thank you well for the money i was going to get a 400 watt mh and comes with hps bulbs also found a 4x4 tent for good price getting that this week to start and a 6 inch inline fan with carbon filter combo odor control do u think i need the electronic stepless speed controller?? i have a regular fan getting a soil tester and ppm/ph tester with the hydroponics ph control kit a soil test kit and bio thrive grow and bio thrive flower with bio root and CaMg+ already have a temp/ humidity gauge and timer light comes with one i was also going to get bio weed and bio bud read its good to mix with the bio thrive flower and grow and was going to use fox farm ocean forest soil mix if i have the money i am going to get pro mix bx soil heard was really good not sure what else i need please let me kno and let me know what you think of the set up as well thanks again i just have to find seeds thats why i asked about the site if you know any please let me kno thank you again figured take me a month or 2 to get everything ill keep you posted and with pics when im set up

400w will work in that tent, definitely. If you really like this hobby, you might find yourself wanting a 600w light eventually. For the money 600w is the most efficient lamp on the market in terms of bang for your buck. Having said that, I started with a 400w in a similar size tent, and now run (2) 400w instead, though a single 600w would have been a good route also.

I'm sorry, but I can't advise you much on the nutrients or soil as I grow strictly with hydroponics. But, sounds like you are on the right track to me. The second to last link in my signature is a great resource for just about anything you need to learn. Feel free to visit my current journal if you have any questions I can help with, or send me a PM when you are able (I think there is a minimum post requirement on that one).

Any of the site sponsors are good choices for seeds I'm sure. I've had good luck with Single Seed Center, and I know many swear by Herbie's and Castle seeds. All are sponsors here last I checked. I don't think you need the speed controller, but depending on the CFM of your 6" fan, it might help you keep it running quieter (they can get a little loud - like a jet engine!). I use one on one of my fans for this reason. Make sure the filter you get is appropriate to the size fan. Each should have a CFM rating, and they should ideally be close in ratings. For example, a 200cfm fan (the minimum I would use) would require a 200cfm filter.

Here's a link to the site sponsors - a few of which are really solid seed vendors:

Sponsors : 420 MAGAZINE

alright thank you man u have been a lot of help and i am learning a lot man. i hope ill be all setup around April to start due to money wise hopefully soon know also what would u remand growing i was going to try auto flowering seeds my buddy has said he has good luck with them?? with the filter and fan it is a combo kit so im guessing its the right fan for it but ill deff check that out man. i hope im on the right start but im going to look at 600 watt setups because this is a hobby to be were i us to grow i did all out door growing but i like indoor better just from my first grow and really want to get more in to it ill check out them sponsors as well thank you and deff keep u posted on my set up with pics and im sure ill have many more ?'s to ask and yes there is a post thing on the pm but im all most there and one more thing when i do start how long do i wait to put light on the seeds i usual do right when they have germinated and how long do i keep the mh bulb on them for?? thank you again!!!

Size should not be a problem its how you choose your style of grow :thumb:

Ya need to think out side of the bush method !

I would suggest sog or scrog :peace:

That's about perfect for a 4x4 tent. I speed controller helps you manage heat/cold

alright thank you man well see how it goes ill keep u posted and put sum pics up once i have it all set up and would thats also work in a 2x2 or 3x3 tent as well??

alright thank you man well see how it goes ill keep u posted and put sum pics up once i have it all set up and would thats also work in a 2x2 or 3x3 tent as well??

With a speed controller... yes, because you wouldn't want to run that full speed in a tent that smaller size. It's a bit overkill. Run at full speed in a smaller tent like that will suck the walls in something crazy due to the negative pressure created. Negative pressure is a good thing (contains odors to the tent where your filter is), but too much causes excessive "tent suck", where the walls look like they want to implode inward.

Speed controllers are relatively cheap at around $30 if I remember correctly, and they work well. Sometimes they do create a louder "hum" from the exhaust fan when they are turned down to lower speeds, but it's usually not as loud as the "whoosh" they create at the higher speeds, lol. I don't mind it. I run a 400cfm fan on a speed controller, and I like it just fine.

nice man thank you a lot i found 440cfm kit with speed control for cheap but i might have to get a 3x3 tent right due to the room i have but you think that will work 440cfm with a 400 watt mh/hps light system?? and another ? is what are the difference between auto flowering and fast bud seeds??

nice man thank you a lot i found 440cfm kit with speed control for cheap but i might have to get a 3x3 tent right due to the room i have but you think that will work 440cfm with a 400 watt mh/hps light system?? and another ? is what are the difference between auto flowering and fast bud seeds??

That would work fine - for a 3x3' tent, 400w would work excellent.

There are a couple of options for seeds: Regular seeds, and autoflower seeds. You can also get them "feminized" which gives you a greater probability of getting a female plant (it's not 100% but you usually get females).

Regular seeds (fem or non fem) need at least 12 hours of continuous darkness per day to induce and maintain flowering. Autoflower plants don't require a bloom lighting schedules to flower, and can be given more light per day. Autoflowers typically don't get as big, and can be a good option for a small space. Also, autoflower plants tend to be quicker to grow, start to finish - BUT, not always.

Alternatively, regular seeds can be force flowered early in order to help keep heights manageable. Plant training helps with height issues, too.

If yield is the goal, then regular seeds are the surest road. Regular seeds give you more control over timing (you choose when you want them to flower). This means you can let them get bigger before you flower them = larger yields. Regular seeds are reliable as far as what to expect, again because you control the flowering start timing and size when you flip.

If small, quick and easy is your goal, auto-flowers are a nice option. Some can still yield nice. I grew a "Big Bang Auto" from Greenhouse seeds that yielded nearly 5z, which is almost huge for an autoflower, and pretty respectable for any indoor cannabis plant.

Oh, as far as "fast bud" seeds, I've not heard that term before, but I'm assuming you mean a regular seed plant that has a short flowering window. Seed breeders or seed selling sites will list the number of weeks for flowering (on non autoflower plants). 8 weeks is the standard for most indicas and hybrids. But, there are some indica hybrids that will bud in 6-7 weeks, which is what I believe you are referring to - a regular seed plant that buds and finishes quickly. The fastest I've seen is a strain available in the Oregon area, called "Cripit". It is supposed to flower in as few as 5 weeks. But, I think the ones I've seen grown went a little bit longer than that - still - pretty amazingly fast!

Sativas can go 10, 12 weeks or longer, and are difficult to grow indoors as they can grow 10' tall or much taller if you let them (they can be managed indoors with a little training). I would recommend an indica, or indica hybrid regular seed plant, or an autoflower.

You can decide whether you want to pay extra for feminized seeds, but many like that route. In a 3 x 3 tent, just starting out, I'd stick to just one or two to start, perhaps 3 autoflowers. Probably no more than that. One regular seed plant with a little vegetative time can fill that tent, or two with less veg time and a little training, or 3 with even less veg time (or more training), etc.

Just for informations sake. My box is @ 2x2x4 using 400w hid digital ballast. I can fit 4 5gal buckets easily with no loss of light to any. You just have to be a lil' creative w/ some elements. :)

It's been revamped once of twice to resolve the issues brought up. But they have been resolved! Whole thing w/ lamps, ballast et al probably set me back @ $110-150. With most of that being the ballast.

Fwiw.

K

Just for informations sake. My box is @ 2x2x4 using 400w hid digital ballast. I can fit 4 5gal buckets easily with no loss of light to any. You just have to be a lil' creative w/ some elements. :)

It's been revamped once of twice to resolve the issues brought up. But they have been resolved! Whole thing w/ lamps, ballast et al probably set me back @ $110-150. With most of that being the ballast.

Fwiw.

K

I realize that's so, too, Korloin. I must confess, that I glossed over that option a little, as I was trying to give him a good path to success at the beginning and guessing that these are going to be grown from purchased seed. For many new growers, the plant training to do that successfully is a little much - on top of learning to grow in general. Unless you are cloning, the cost for seed can be counterproductive, too. No doubt, a good strategy though! SOG style or micro style grows are hard to beat in small spaces, and cloning makes the expense issue go away.

But great point that there are many ways to grow, and good training/early flowering can allow you to squeeze many plants into a pretty small space! I grew in a box about that size, with 400w for a while too, but I wasn't as good then at training them. Most I ever did, was 3. But, decent yields!

Thanks for adding that, Korloin. :thumb:

No prob. I was dead broke when I started though, so mine started from standpoint of desperation to get things going. I had a bit if scrap lumber around and such. :)

If the option were available to me then, I probably would've gone with a tent.

<Off topic slightly> I've gone back and read a few of your early journals, as I found reassurance in them that I too could become as good a grower as some of the folks here whom I admire.
Your early ones still kick ass, in perspective. And I love that little all in one box you were using!!

:)

K

No prob. I was dead broke when I started though, so mine started from standpoint of desperation to get things going. I had a bit if scrap lumber around and such. :)

If the option were available to me then, I probably would've gone with a tent.

<Off topic slightly> I've gone back and read a few of your early journals, as I found reassurance in them that I too could become as good a grower as some of the folks here whom I admire.
Your early ones still kick ass, in perspective. And I love that little all in one box you were using!!

:)

K

:thanks: Korloin, for sharing the kind words and taking the time to read those journals! :)

Back
Top Bottom