What size cool tube to use for 600 watt HPS?

Aaron Quix

Hey folks, been doing a bit of searching, and I'm not coming up with anything definitive when it comes to exactly, (if there is an exactly) what size cool tube to run each wattage of HPS bulb in. I see that its pretty common for people to run 6" cool tubes with their 600 watters, but, what I'm trying to find is something that says it is either OK, or NOT OK to run a 600 watt bulb in a 4" cool tube....

Believe me, I considered contacting the major manufacturers directly, but, frankly I don't trust that they won't try to just sell me the next size up.

Not to be rude, but please, I'm asking that only people with first hand experience with the matter, or at least someone who knows for sure what their talking about, respond to this post. I can give an educated guess as well as the next guy, so "I would think", and, "I bet if you..." aren't what I'm looking for.
Again, please don't think of me as a jerk, I really just need only the best info at this point.
I'm off to do some more reading, and I'll actually update this thread myself with any pertinent info I come across.:nomo:

Thanks in advance to any who take the time to reply:Namaste:

Re: What size cool tube to use for 600 watt HPS...?

Hey folks, been doing a bit of searching, and I'm not coming up with anything definitive when it comes to exactly, (if there is an exactly) what size cool tube to run each wattage of HPS bulb in. I see that its pretty common for people to run 6" cool tubes with their 600 watters, but, what I'm trying to find is something that says it is either OK, or NOT OK to run a 600 watt bulb in a 4" cool tube...

Hi Quix. Ok, meaning too much amperage draw, or ok for cooling? Amp draw would not be a concern as long as the socket and cord are rated for that wattage. Manufacturer should have that info.

As for cooling...no. I ran a 400 watter in a 6" cool tube. The bulb is very close to the reflector and glass in a cool tube causing some radiant heat. In a 4" tube that 600 watter would radiate heat like crazy. I would get the biggest one that fits in your space.

Just my 2 cents

Hi Quix. Ok, meaning too much amperage draw, or ok for cooling? Amp draw would not be a concern as long as the socket and cord are rated for that wattage. Manufacturer should have that info.

As for cooling...no. I ran a 400 watter in a 6" cool tube. The bulb is very close to the reflector and glass in a cool tube causing some radiant heat. In a 4" tube that 600 watter would radiate heat like crazy. I would get the biggest one that fits in your space.

Just my 2 cents

Hey Yard, thanks for that reply. Yes, the cooling is my only area of concern. So if I'm understanding correctly, the amount of radiant heat is likely to increase exponentially, for every inch smaller you go? I guess I had a crazy theory that by going smaller with the tube, I would be increasing the flow rate within the tube, thereby stepping up the cooling....Man I really shouldn't vape this JillyBean before going on these build and upgrade adventures lol.:lot-o-toke:

Well if I understand correctly, It'll be a wash, heat-wise to go smaller...Not to mention probably dangerous.
Well, thanks again for your reply, bud, I've seen you around the site before, just never had the pleasure...Nice to meetcha:Namaste: Oh, and +reps for the tip

Any others?...

Hey Yard, thanks for that reply. Yes, the cooling is my only area of concern. So if I'm understanding correctly, the amount of radiant heat is likely to increase exponentially, for every inch smaller you go? I guess I had a crazy theory that by going smaller with the tube, I would be increasing the flow rate within the tube, thereby stepping up the cooling....Man I really shouldn't vape this JillyBean before going on these build and upgrade adventures lol.:lot-o-toke:

Well if I understand correctly, It'll be a wash, heat-wise to go smaller...Not to mention probably dangerous.
Well, thanks again for your reply, bud, I've seen you around the site before, just never had the pleasure...Nice to meetcha:Namaste: Oh, and +reps for the tip

Any others?...

Good to meet you. + rep right back at ya!

Back
Top Bottom