What soil do I use?

Pikaboomew

Hi I'm a new grower and was wondering what soil is good to grow in. I was thinking about mixing fox farm; bush doctor coco loco, ocean forest potting soil, and Big & Chunky Perlite. Would you suggest mixing these? If not what mix? How much of each? Also how long after planting should I start watering with nutrients? I'm using the fox farm nutrients trio. Fox farm big bloom and grow big for vegetation stage. Fox farm big bloom and tiger bloom for flowering. Any suggestions on this would also be helpful.

Hey! I also use the FoxFarm trio.

Since this is (I presume) your first grow, I would suggest keeping it simple.
No need to mix all that stuff, just use Ocean Forest. OF Works great just as it is, that's what I use!

Even after a week my clones starting showing some deficiencies so I started giving them nutes 1 week after putting in the soil. Give them VERY LITTLE amounts of nutes at first, start at 1/4th or 1/5th the recommended dose that FoxFarm gives.

Here's FoxFarm's soil feeding schedule...
Feeding Schedules - Language Sorted - FoxFarm Soil & Fertilizer Company

Hi I'm a new grower and was wondering what soil is good to grow in. I was thinking about mixing fox farm; bush doctor coco loco, ocean forest potting soil, and Big & Chunky Perlite. Would you suggest mixing these? If not what mix? How much of each? Also how long after planting should I start watering with nutrients? I'm using the fox farm nutrients trio. Fox farm big bloom and grow big for vegetation stage. Fox farm big bloom and tiger bloom for flowering. Any suggestions on this would also be helpful.

Any good soil with 20% perlite to help with drainage and aeration should be good for your first grow. Ocean Forest brand seems popular. I can tell you from personal experience to avoid the Ace Hardware $1.99 a big stuff. ;)

And then when it's time to add some fertilizer, just choose a simple 2- or 3-part fertilizer. Skip the $200 worth of bottles with pretty labels for your first grow.

One more thought: Check out growing in coco coir with drain-to-waste nutrients. Simple, inexpensive, overwatering-proof, great results, and you can even automate it with a timer and a pump.

Yes. This is my first grow. So you don't think I should add any perlite?
I would, at about 20% perlite to the FFOF.
If you can, make sure the perlite is just that and doesn't have any additional additives (mircle-gro perlite has some extra fert as I recall).

Mix the perlite in as you fill, stopping and mixing well along the way as others have said, you want a pretty even distribution, though adding a little extra at the very bottom before you start is common.

/2cents from fellow new grower who used 70%FF-OF 15%FF-HF and 15% perlite...and wish I went 60\20\20... not that 5% would have matted 'that' much but every bit helps and good drainage will help you avoid various common problems.

Back
Top Bottom