What state is Next?

Re: What state is Next???

The marijuana policy project just released an Illinois poll showing over 60% support in both chicago area and downstate IL for Medical Marijuana. The results were pretty surprising to everyone. **crosses fingers**

if between 20 and 30 percent on the states of the union have changed laws to reflect medical use exists could we force the dea and or congress change the scheduling by filing for federal 14th amendment [due process and equal protection] action ?

Oh Hell Yeah !!!!

I saw this scroll across the local news But that's about all the attention it got.

Reason Magazine - Hit & Run > Successful Medical Necessity Defense in Texas Marijuana Case

Thanks to Mr. Jack Herer for the bullet :cheesygrinsmiley:

"This week Tim Stevens, a 53-year-old Amarillo man who smokes marijuana to relieve the cyclical vomiting syndrome associated with HIV infection, used a necessity defense to win an acquittal on a possession charge. His attorney, Jeff Blackburn, says this appears to be the first time the defense, which argues that breaking the law was necessary to prevent a harm worse than the one the law is aimed at preventing, has been successful in a Texas marijuana case.

Stevens, whose vomiting has been so severe that he was hospitalized and received blood transfusions, was arrested last October after an anonymous tipster saw him sharing a joint on a friend’s porch in Amarillo and called the police. He had about a twelfth of an ounce of marijuana, resulting in a Class B misdemeanor charge that carries a penalty of up to six months in jail and a $2, 000 fine. He probably could have gotten off with a fine or a year’s probation, Blackburn says, "but he didn’t want to; he wanted to take a stand." The trial lasted about 10 hours on Tuesday, and the jury came back after 11 minutes with a "not guilty" verdict
Blackburn says the expert testimony of Steve Jenison, medical director of the Infectious Diseases Bureau in New Mexico’s Department of Health, helped establish that marijuana is demonstrably effective at treating nausea and superior in some ways to the legal alternatives. (For one thing, unlike the synthetic THC capsule Marinol, it does not have to be swallowed and kept down, a feat for someone suffering from severe nausea.) Blackburn, who was not at all confident about the prospects for Stevens’ unusual defense in a "very, very conservative area, " also credits "a streak of independence" and a "distaste for government" that he says is common in West Texas. "I think these jurors like the idea that they get to make a decision about what the law means, about when it applies, " he says, "and I don’t think they were shy at all about deciding how valuable the law proscribing marijuana use really is."

Pennsylvania has one of the highest concentrations of people over 65 (15 percent, compared with a national average of 12 percent) and one of the lowest of people with college degrees (22 percent, compared with a national average of 24 percent).

It won't be PA. :)

if between 20 and 30 percent on the states of the union have changed laws to reflect medical use exists could we force the dea and or congress change the scheduling by filing for federal 14th amendment [due process and equal protection] action ?

HUH? With 11 states that have legalized it, we are already at more than 20% and the feds haven't budged one bit. It's going to take a lot for cannabis to be legalized federally. I truly hope I'm a live when it happens but won't be holding my breath.

Yep, can't you see the day they stand up in the house and say "Big Oil, your day in the sun is OVER, Big Drug, your reign is OVER!" (In other words ,"100 billion in profits, sorry, not anymore.")

That will be the day.. but I don't know if I will be alive to see it.

i want TENNESSEE Next!!!!

It would be nice to see a Southern state join the ranks. SC has a bill that doesn't seem to be able to make it out of committee.

Back
Top Bottom