What strain to grow outdoors in my specific climate?

frosown

I live in Minnesota, what are some of the strains that would fit my needs?
Needs: short flowering time(but not an autoflower), trying for 2oz a plant, high mold resistance, high pest resistance, and can withstand cold september and october nights(35-40 degrees sometimes). What strain would best fit these? Also, i'd appreciate a shorter, darker plant, than a tall light leafed plant. I am also growing auto sweet tooth indoors currently, would autos be my best bet outdoors because of the weather? Need some advice, any would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Good Evening,

I am in the same state as you sir and i am looking at Dinafem Blue Hash, but any strain that finishs in mid to late september will work now that it stays warmer longer(go global warming!). Its harvest is in late september which makes it perfect for minnesota's less then perfect climate. My plants will be started indoors in april and put outside in mid may. If you have the opportunity i would dig holes about 3x3x2 1/2 ft for each plant and fill it with a mix of organic topsoil and plain black dirt that you can get from any menards or home depot. For the south half of the state i would recommend interior gardens, in the north east interior tomato both of which will have the necessary supplies that you need(if organic growing is your thing).

Howdy, I too live in MN. I have tried at least a dozen strains to try to get a plant to mature befrore multiple frosts take it out. So far I have not been able to do it. No matter when you start your plant, 12/12 doesn't arrive until near frost time and I would bet you get a killing frost before you get get prime colas.. Look up the sunrise / sunset table for your area. I have resorted to Auto's and just plant 2 or 3 instead of 1. I am a Sativa person and I know they take longer than an Indica so I have not tried Indica's. I did discover some nice Auto Flower strains that have 18 -21% THC so I will try them this time around. Kinda funny that all the Feral Wild Weed around here is a type of auto flower. They always have monster buds on monster plants that are mature well before the frost. Don't let me talk you out of trying your Indica plants but do check the sunrise / sunset tables first. Good Luck and Enjoy !

I studied this quite a bit and decided on Early Misty.
This is the seed shop description.

Early Misty cannabis is also known as the sister of White Widow strain in an earlier fully developed version. Early Misty has been hybridized with our popular Misty cannabis and our super early skunk marijuana. This is listed as our strongest variety cultivated outdoors. Early Misty grows as a very low plant with wide leaves. This type of marijuana plant can survive low temperatures and withstand pest attacks. These tight plants have a tendency to grow to a single main stem.

The Early Misty cannabis produces a heavy yet calming body high, an important trait for smokers. When smoked properly, some of the Early Misty cannabis releases a coffee aroma. This plant gives you a great mixed buzz with a large part of body stone with a hint or no paranoia. Yield
400 / 500 (g/m²) Height
Compact plant Flowering
Short (45 - 55 days) Climate
Cold THC Level
Extreme High Type
Regular Cultivate
Outdoor Medical
No Strain
Hybride

this is from buydutchseeds.com

Any cold climate seeds you can find from a Canadian Seedbank? I'm checking on MJ Seeds Canada and could not find anything yet about the cold climate seeds.

I live in Minnesota, what are some of the strains that would fit my needs?
Needs: short flowering time(but not an autoflower), trying for 2oz a plant, high mold resistance, high pest resistance, and can withstand cold september and october nights(35-40 degrees sometimes). What strain would best fit these? Also, i'd appreciate a shorter, darker plant, than a tall light leafed plant. I am also growing auto sweet tooth indoors currently, would autos be my best bet outdoors because of the weather? Need some advice, any would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Northern lights. It always shows up as not having real high thc but it is excellant weed so pay it no mind stuff is excellant. Ak-47, Skunk. Straight indicas would do well there, they can handle the Himilayas so Montana should be fine. Watch your root heat as it gets hot there in the summer doed it not? If so paint yout pots white and use cool water a resivor on the bottom(self watering pot) stick a few icecubes in the bottom when it is real hot out, your plants will love that and cooler root temps will makesure photosynthasis continues even when transpiration would have normaly shut it down.

Back
Top Bottom